Link Belt vs. (Double) Roller Timing Chains

What kind of timing chain do you prefer?

• Link Belt/Standard

• Roller

• What’s a timing chain?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hmm, I checked to make sure the bolts didn’t back out, and I did plug the smog holes, but I used the correct inverted flare plugs. I’ll be sure to check for cracks and go back and make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Your installation may be done correctly, but like Big Chip mentioned, may have a crack in the manifold. Use a mirror and a really good light and inspect the lower side of the manifold. I found a crack on my truck when removing the transmission, wasn't even noisy yet! Good luck

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Maybe it's the sound quality on my phone, but it sure sounded like a lifter or rocker issue to me. I've experienced many cracked manifolds, that's not what I was hearing. I'd just about put my money on it.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Good point bucket, perhaps a lifter bleeding down?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Good point bucket, perhaps a lifter bleeding down?

Possibly since it's dependent on how long the car sits. But on the other hand, the 350 in my '70 Impala had a nearly identical noise at one time, it was just slightly quieter... it ended up being a cracked rocker arm. It made the noise until the rocker broke and bent a pushrod at the same time.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
My ears say metal to metal interference, but I could be wrong.
I suggest the stethoscope and pinpoint the noise.
Getting it on the timing cover with the engine running can be tricky (and even a tad dangerous) but if it's the chain/gear set or the chain hitting the timing cover, you will find out fast.

The Goodwrench 350 that came in a truck I bought had a constant tick-tick-tick sound which ended up being excessive play in the fuel pump pushrod, due to the cam lobe that runs it being soft.

If you do decide it's timing chain and gears time, do yourself a favor and get the Cloyes double roller.
Stock link type chains are good for MAYBE 100K miles at the best before the engine loses a herd of performance due to late valve and ignition timing from the stretched chain and worn gears.
I put over 100K HARD miles on the 383 stroker I built 20 years ago, used a Cloyes set when I built it.
When I removed the timing cover to do an inspection, there was not enough wear or slack to even think about putting a new set on .....
WELL worth the few extra dollars !!!

And don't forget, if you install the gears with the dots close together, the engine is timed to fire on #6 cylinder.
Rotate another turn to have both dots at 12 noon for #1 firing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1