questions about roller cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Main part of the video to pay attention to is the Vortec heads which increase hp dramatically over old school heads, and the simple rebuild they did that netted over 1 HP per cubic inch. The EFI Live setup would be an awesome addition but honestly the waterpump, valve covers, etc didn't matter that much to me. Just be aware of the lift limit of Vortec heads, they bought GMPP heads with the spring seats cut for more lift.

I noticed the heads, also noticed that the old ones were cracked in the video, I suppose with anything used, you take your chances when buying it, but I did notice that there's quite a few vortec head sets for sale on craigslist for cheap,

it would certainly be cheaper than trying to beef up the engine I have now, hell, you can get the whole damn engine with the roller cam setup for less then what the cam alone would cost for my engine.

Reflecting back on hotrodPC’s last post, if I were to buy a vortec engine, if I understand you correctly, I want one that’s 96 or newer?

And from the comments I’m seeing here, it sounds like I could use one of those vortec engines with my intake and carburetor and hei distributor and it would run just fine?

At some point I’ll buy and build one, so I might as well get myself educated on it now, just in case a good deal comes along that I can snatch up .

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Even if you go with a later Vortec motor, you will still need to replace the cam. No sense in leaving more power and efficiency on the table. And if the lifters have many miles on them, they should be replaced too.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Reflecting back on hotrodPC’s last post, if I were to buy a vortec engine, if I understand you correctly, I want one that’s 96 or newer?

And from the comments I’m seeing here, it sounds like I could use one of those vortec engines with my intake and carburetor and hei distributor and it would run just fine?
98 was the beginning of Vortec engines in trucks I believe. Some cars in 96 were running L31 (Vortec).

You can't use your intake but you can get one to adapt from the Vortec heads from aftermarket manufacturers.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
98 was the beginning of Vortec engines in trucks I believe. Some cars in 96 were running L31 (Vortec).

You can't use your intake but you can get one to adapt from the Vortec heads from aftermarket manufacturers.

It was '96 for the trucks. Cars never got the L31, it was the LT motors at that time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yup 96. Trust me. I had to have one and bought it as soon as they hit the lot. Had to have a 95 for the new dash change, then a 96 for sure for the Vortec change.

I remember taking a 96 for a test drive. I came back and the salesman says, So what did you think, will this one work? I said NOPE, I need one with Locking Differential !!! Found 2 on the lot equipped identical with Locking Diffl. One in Red, one in Indigo Blue. Told the salesman, get me the keys to the Red one. He says, but I thought you wanted to Indigo Blue? Well yeah I do, so I'll be buying the Blue one If this test drive in the Red ones goes like I hope it does. :rofl: Then he says, well then let me get the keys to the Blue one. I said NO, if I buy a new truck, I want new tires, and these tires won't be new when I get done with my test drive. :happy175: He laughed and said, OK, I don't think I want to go on this **** drive either. I said, NO you don't. I did buy the Blue one that night.