Let's Talk Welding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I can't stand looking at my rusted out rockers and cab corners on my Square any longer. I've never welded, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone else to repair the sheetmetal on this money pit.

I have no delusions that I'll buy a welder, grab a couple patch panels and get it done right away.

What I want to do is get a Mig Welder that can do flux core and gas welding. Get some scrap and other tools for metal prep and get some practice in. I have a feeling it'll come down to hours and hours of practice and work. I'm hoping that once I get my technique down, I can take it to the truck and fix up the rust on the cheap.

So my question is, what do I need to buy? What welder should I get? What specifications do I need for body-work and general fabrication? I'd like to be able to build roll bars, manifolds/headers, exhaust systems, down the road. I'd rather buy one good welder that I can grow with and spend good money once. Than pick up a cheap-o welder that I'll want to ditch for the one I should have bought in 6 months.

And... is my plan insane? Do I need formal training?:drunk:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
What is your budget looking like?

I have a Hobart Handler 210MVP, which is an awesome welder. I spent about $1500 for the welder, helmets, gloves, and gas bottle (I bought instead of leasing).

I can run it on 110V or 230V, gas or flux core wired. I bought it when I only had 110V in my garage so my investment wouldn't go to waste and be limited when I upgraded my garage to 230V (which I've now done). It also gives me portability, since I ran take it over to someone elses house if needed and run off their 110V.

If your budget is a little smaller, the Hobart Handler 140 is also a great welder. It's 110V, but pretty powerful for its size. It can do gas and flux core as well.

As far as training, it could help, but honestly, I had my wife laying down good beads in about 20 minutes of practice with my 210MVP.

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have the Lincoln 125 MIG. It is not gas, but can be converted for $100. It can do up to 1/4 and I have used it for all of my SAS's and other heavy stuff with no issues. Thicker wire and cranked up it burns very well.

When doing sheet metal, make sure you get a thin wire, .20 or .25. Requires less heat to burn and wont be puting tons of holes in your panels as if you were using .30 or .35

Self taught, make small C's and pratice....least how i did. Didn't take long.

As for sheetmetal, spots every 1 inch and repeat

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I also have the Hobart,135,and it will do all that needs to be done in My garage/shop.If I have anything heavier than 3/8ths I`ll tack it with the 135 then bring out the arc.
The 135 comes equipped to run either gas or flux but You will be better off with gas as it is a lot cleaner,less smoke,and makes a smoother weld.
I got the larger size bottle,not one of them two galloon size for a hunnert bucks,and a bottle lasts a very long time.
Another add on that I think would be nice is a "Flow" meter instead of a pressure guage,a more accurate way of metering the co2/argon mix.
I also have a small,two galloon,hunnert dollar bottle,of straight argon just in case I might someday decide to try some aluminum welding,but,so far as aluminum welding,I have been getting by very nicely with the acetelyne torch set and some aluminum arc. stick rod.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
As far as brands of welders,well,thats a whole nother bag of worms.LOL

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Like all others said it depends on your price range I'm a cheap guy so I have the harbor freight 90 amp flux welder for 110v and I carry that around in my truck cause it was really cheap and I got 3 years worth of warranty all for under 100$

For heavier things and when I want gas mig I bought the mig 170 from harbor freight that does both flux core and gas and can weld up to 1/4" officially but it welds 3/8" no problem if you clean up the metal good. That welder was 200$ with a 2 year warranty and works great

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What is your budget looking like?

I have a Hobart Handler 210MVP, which is an awesome welder. I spent about $1500 for the welder, helmets, gloves, and gas bottle (I bought instead of leasing).

I can run it on 110V or 230V, gas or flux core wired. I bought it when I only had 110V in my garage so my investment wouldn't go to waste and be limited when I upgraded my garage to 230V (which I've now done). It also gives me portability, since I ran take it over to someone elses house if needed and run off their 110V.

If your budget is a little smaller, the Hobart Handler 140 is also a great welder. It's 110V, but pretty powerful for its size. It can do gas and flux core as well.

As far as training, it could help, but honestly, I had my wife laying down good beads in about 20 minutes of practice with my 210MVP.

I was hoping to cap this expense at $1000 total. So I think a 230V welder is out of my price range.

That probably puts me into the 140Amp class of welders. Miller and Hobart are names that are thrown out a lot, they both offer units there.

Is a used welder a bad idea? I'm afraid that I won't know what to look for/evaluate on one.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was hoping to cap this expense at $1000 total. So I think a 230V welder is out of my price range.

That probably puts me into the 140Amp class of welders. Miller and Hobart are names that are thrown out a lot, they both offer units there.

Is a used welder a bad idea? I'm afraid that I won't know what to look for/evaluate on one.

Those are the number one rated welders,and Lincoln too.
If I were going to buy a "Used" welder,I would go to a welders supply store/warehouse and look into the reconditioned units,they are`nt as cheap as maby a pawn shop but the warrantie,usually,is`nt too bad.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
My 140 Handler was very lightly used when I bought it for $400, but my dad's heavily used 135 Handler would still be a good buy at $250. Not only should you learn and practice welding but you need to learn safety. Where NOT to weld like near combustibles; keep a fire extinguisher handy even if you aren't near combustibles; understand reverse-ground welding situations and how you can get electrocuted if you become the ground; never weld around a gas tank unless proper precautions are taken; and if you weld galvanized steel be aware of the hazards of the fumes since they can be deadly...and many other things to learn.

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
you can get electrocuted if you become the ground

That's no joke. My dad melted his wedding ring to his finger years ago, had to get it surgically removed.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
You can get something for under $1000 if you're patient... and quick when the right one comes along. I got a Miller 210 off Craigslist with a full bottle of gas and a huge spool of wire for $900. The guy bought it for a welding class and did a couple of projects then sold it when money got tight.

You must be registered for see images attach

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 140 Handler was very lightly used when I bought it for $400, but my dad's heavily used 135 Handler would still be a good buy at $250. Not only should you learn and practice welding but you need to learn safety. Where NOT to weld like near combustibles; keep a fire extinguisher handy even if you aren't near combustibles; understand reverse-ground welding situations and how you can get electrocuted if you become the ground; never weld around a gas tank unless proper precautions are taken; and if you weld galvanized steel be aware of the hazards of the fumes since they can be deadly...and many other things to learn.

That's no joke. My dad melted his wedding ring to his finger years ago, had to get it surgically removed.

Safety should be the no. one priority.after doing any cutting or welding fire guard watch should be set for at least one hour and stay out of any fumes.

You can get something for under $1000 if you're patient... and quick when the right one comes along. I got a Miller 210 off Craigslist with a full bottle of gas and a huge spool of wire for $900. The guy bought it for a welding class and did a couple of projects then sold it when money got tight.

You must be registered for see images attach

That is a mighty fine rig You have there and it should last for years with a little care and maintenance.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
...so far as aluminum welding,I have been getting by very nicely with the acetelyne torch set and some aluminum arc. stick rod.
Marty any more tips on this procedure for alum welding?

Also anybody here use spot weld cutters?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Marty any more tips on this procedure for alum welding?

Also anybody here use spot weld cutters?

I have used spot weld cutters. Just center punch the spot weld and then go deep enough to cut the first layer. Use a grinder or chisel to remove the weld. These work good and are cheep.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-double-sided-rotary-spot-weld-cutter-95343.html

I also want to hear more about that alum weld technique. I would like to build a flush mount bed cover.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ahh welding.. The other addiction in my life.. My wife says i just collect the stuff.. Till she sees the power bill.. For all you listed you want to do a 140 amp is lots of machine. Even for the roll bar.. Did you find a set up yet?

I use a ultra mig 250...

Next you will want a metal band saw, a plasma cutter then a tig for doing aluminum and special projects.

For welding.. a good penetration and a weld looking like stacked dimes laid out... for the thin stuff.. a nice consistent heat trace on the back shows you your penetration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88