Let's Talk Welding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ahh welding.. The other addiction in my life.. My wife says i just collect the stuff.. Till she sees the power bill.. For all you listed you want to do a 140 amp is lots of machine. Even for the roll bar.. Did you find a set up yet?

I use a ultra mig 250...

Next you will want a metal band saw, a plasma cutter then a tig for doing aluminum and special projects.

For welding.. a good penetration and a weld looking like stacked dimes laid out... for the thin stuff.. a nice consistent heat trace on the back shows you your penetration.

I love it too. I just spend my Sunday afternoon at work using the Miller MIG to do some aluminum welding repairs on my boat. Love that machine. Love working with aluminum. I repaired my keel guard and replaced 2" of skeg I was missing. I plan to eventually weld up an alum frame for a windshield.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
do not use flux core on sheet metal you will regret it if you do

I have done a lot of sheet metal welding I am a self taught welder

move your welds around the panel to minimize the heat do short welds

and be careful grinding the welds down that makes a lot of heat as well

buy a good welder it will make your life a lot easier in the long run

I tried to weld a patch in a door with a cheapo flux core welder I ended up getting pissed smashed the welder with a sledge hammer. then went and bought a Lincoln 135. its not the most expensive welder but it has served me very well for years and many projects.

oh ya get a auto darkening hood as well I bought mine for 150 bucks well worth it

Attachments

• barn door blazer weds.jpg
    barn door blazer weds.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 106
  • barn door blazer welds.jpg
    barn door blazer welds.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 115
  • barn door blazer roof fit.jpg
    barn door blazer roof fit.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 119
  • picture_030_146.jpg
    picture_030_146.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I was able to weld all new floors into my Camaro using one of the cheap harbor freight stick welders. The welds are not exactly pretty, and I had to do a lot of grinding, but I got the job done and the welds seem to be holding well. I figure for $100 + sheet metal I got out pretty cheap. What you are doing will be more visible so you will need to be more careful of looks, but I think it could be done with a cheap welder, grinder, and some magnets to hold the metal in.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I love it too. I just spend my Sunday afternoon at work using the Miller MIG to do some aluminum welding repairs on my boat. Love that machine. Love working with aluminum. I repaired my keel guard and replaced 2" of skeg I was missing. I plan to eventually weld up an alum frame for a windshield.

Well sounds like you have a ton more experiance then i do with aluminum.. I'm just starting to play with the stuff.. I normally weld farm implements and drilling rigs parts. (all steel).. I like having the tig for aluminum and other small projects this way i can leave the mig with big wire all set for work when i need it. But that's getting slow now that i ride a hoe most days. I'ts a fast change to go to stick with my mig so i have that choice also.

I have started on small projects first.. Just glueing stuff together (i borrow scraps of aluminum for this)... Next i want to make a cooler holder for the back of my truck. I'm sick of using tie downs..

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
do not use flux core on sheet metal you will regret it if you do

I have done a lot of sheet metal welding I am a self taught welder

move your welds around the panel to minimize the heat do short welds

and be careful grinding the welds down that makes a lot of heat as well

buy a good welder it will make your life a lot easier in the long run

I tried to weld a patch in a door with a cheapo flux core welder I ended up getting pissed smashed the welder with a sledge hammer. then went and bought a Lincoln 135. its not the most expensive welder but it has served me very well for years and many projects.

oh ya get a auto darkening hood as well I bought mine for 150 bucks well worth it

Nice work.. I never seem to have a camera handy for work pictures.. Maybe just to excited to get **** done and out the door.. :cheers: I do like a cold beer after welding.. Ohh.. never weld while wearing slippers.. They light on fire.. hahaha

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I did not have any major issues using the flux core on body panels. But maybe I'm just used to it now and using MIG with gas would spoil me.

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
pick up my mig off Eastwood .com,nice small commercial rated welders for not a lot of money.good reviews from people who used them.used a 90 dollar harbor freight flux core mig before that.all i could afford at that time.you can weld with the flux core if you keep the welds small,then go back and fill in the holes after wards,lol.but welding sheet metal with gas and .020 wire is so much nicer.the big problem with the flux core is you work harden the metal with the extra heat and it makes it harder to work with afterwards.before that i had a Campbell Hausfield stick welder,works but that all i say about that.better than nothing,good for the basics.still have all three welders.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
pick up my mig off Eastwood .com,nice small commercial rated welders for not a lot of money.good reviews from people who used them.used a 90 dollar harbor freight flux core mig before that.all i could afford at that time.you can weld with the flux core if you keep the welds small,then go back and fill in the holes after wards,lol.but welding sheet metal with gas and .020 wire is so much nicer.the big problem with the flux core is you work harden the metal with the extra heat and it makes it harder to work with afterwards.before that i had a Campbell Hausfield stick welder,works but that all i say about that.better than nothing,good for the basics.still have all three welders.

Some good advice right there.. and .. Welcome to the welding tool hoarder group.. hahaha

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah Eastwood has some nice stuff and reasonable