Exhaust replacement- anyone do it without welding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@ChuckN
It’s a drive but I gotta little wire feed Lincoln buzz box if you want to use it to weld some stuff up. Idk how often you get down this a way.

And fwiw, the vast majority of old cars and trucks back in the land ‘o rust I never welded anything up, unless necessary.
But there, usually you could clamp together for about a year and then remove the clamps and they’d stay rusted together forever!
Thanks for the offer! It’s true that I don’t get down your way very often. But, Harbor Freight is just down the road and Fathers Day isn’t too far off ;)

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is true.
I bought Junior a $500 welder from Harbor Freight and it has been used to make many different exhaust setups in the year that we have had it.
Here he is putting together a new 3 inch tail pipe section together with the new muffler.
Its basically him welding for the second time ever.
You must be registered for see images attach

All done here with his buddy lifting his Cherokee in the background.

Also a tip for you.
If you want your headers to tuck up in the frame rails, use a set from a car.
They tuck way up in the frame.
My 2wd truck has a set from a 1968-72 Nova on the big block and you can see here how high up in there they are.
This photo is looking straight on at the chassis.

To see the collector, you have to really want to see it up in there.

And yes, this is a temporary exhaust in the photo.
I am going to buy an aftermarket transmission crossmember that has the clearance built into it before I put the 3 inch exhaust under there.
The flex pipe is a simple way to make the transition from header to pipe without to much expense.
That’s an interesting thought. Headers aren’t very expensive. I just always thought that the bends of the tubing wouldn’t fit other vehicles. Hmm.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
That’s an interesting thought. Headers aren’t very expensive. I just always thought that the bends of the tubing wouldn’t fit other vehicles. Hmm.
Used headers are super cheap too.
That way you can buy some to test and see what works and doesn't work.
We just picked up two sets of small block headers for a Camaro from the swap meet for $30 total.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Used headers are super cheap too.
That way you can buy some to test and see what works and doesn't work.
We just picked up two sets of small block headers for a Camaro from the swap meet for $30 total.
Hey bud, which generation Camaro would be better? Or is first and second gen about the same?

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Ya know, I don't know what gen they were for as we planned on cutting them into pieces and making them fit the boys truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84