Light Metal Welding Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Guys, I was going through the rust repair threads I have in here, looking at all your replies, I wanted to make a thread to discuss methods of light metal welding, like body panel steel, sheet metal, body crossmembers and supports, **** like that. Not heavy steel. So I am guessing 1/8" thick and thinner. 22, 18 and 16 gauge sheet metal.

Imann mentioned a 110 volt welder. What are some light welders to look at, for a person that lives paycheck to paycheck can afford. And easy to use, 110v.

What about using a torch and some kind of brazing rods? My grandfather told me about when he put body panels on his Suburban truck restore, welded them with rods and a torch. Anybody have experience with this? It was hard to get the information out of him what exactly to use for that. I would really like to learn that method.

Please tell me your experience and methods and types of equipment. Thanks.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
My buddy James taught me on a tailgate I had, we were shaving a brake light. Basically it was just numerous little spot welds that are ground down smooth. I dont know about the torch and all that, I am interested in reading responses.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
My buddy James taught me on a tailgate I had, we were shaving a brake light. Basically it was just numerous little spot welds that are ground down smooth. I dont know about the torch and all that, I am interested in reading responses.
So was that his welder? Can you tell me anything about it, was it a stick welder?

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
89S
The torch welding of body panels was an old school method, simply because thats what they had. The problem with trying to use that method today is the body panels they had were alot better metal, the panels we have today are alot thinner which will cause the panels to warp rather quickly.

Most of the body guys I know use a wire feed welder (mig), there are a few that will also use a TIG welder. but the cost of a TIG would not be worth buying for a few uses.

You can use a mig welder with flux core wire and it will work. But for the best results you will want a gas setup.

I would stay away from a 110 welder, simply because of the duty cycle. A 220 welder will have a higher duty cycle and last alot longer.

Your idea of looking for a used welder is by far the best idea. You can get alot better 220 welder used, then you can buy a NEW 110 welder.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
My biggest thing is I want it to be able to run on 110V. I see a few people here mentioned the Hobarts.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
My biggest thing is I want it to be able to run on 110V. I see a few people here mentioned the Hobarts.

I am not saying a 110 welder is not capable of the task of patch panels, cause it will work just fine. But what I am saying is it wont last as long as a 220 welder simply because of the duty cycle of the welder.

Also the amps of the welder will determine what all you can actually weld with it. With a good 220 MIG that has 25o amps you should be able to weld up to 1/2" steel on a single pass,. More exsperienced welders can weld much thicker metal simply because they know the proper techniques.

Another option you could have is to possably borrow a welder from a friend or have them help you. Case of beer can go along way on a buddy system.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am not saying a 110 welder is not capable of the task of patch panels, cause it will work just fine. But what I am saying is it wont last as long as a 220 welder simply because of the duty cycle of the welder.

Also the amps of the welder will determine what all you can actually weld with it. With a good 220 MIG that has 25o amps you should be able to weld up to 1/2" steel on a single pass,. More exsperienced welders can weld much thicker metal simply because they know the proper techniques.

Another option you could have is to possably borrow a welder from a friend or have them help you. Case of beer can go along way on a buddy system.
I am getting an itch to have a cheap POS to mess around with and practice, I haven't welded in years, so I need to start over again unless it comes back to me. I grew up welding with my dad's gas powered stick welder. The wire feed welders are intimidating to me. The few times I have used them here at work I always have a problem trying to get the speed and heat right, just can't get the knack of it down.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I am getting an itch to have a cheap POS to mess around with and practice, I haven't welded in years, so I need to start over again unless it comes back to me. I grew up welding with my dad's gas powered stick welder. The wire feed welders are intimidating to me. The few times I have used them here at work I always have a problem trying to get the speed and heat right, just can't get the knack of it down.

My wife says the same thing. Honestly for me the MIG is much easier, some say a Mig will NOT weld hot enough for some conditions, HOWEVER they are incorrect it falls back to the technique you use to weld it with.

Most of your mig welders will have a reference chart for you to set the amps and wire speed for different thicknesses of metal. The biggest problem for a MIG welder is to weld outdoors in the weather, wind will blow your shielding gas away and penetration will lack, almost have to use a curtain. Another problem I see some people do is let there stinger coiled up while they try to weld. You need to let your stinger have long gradual bends or straight. When your done welding you ALWAYS want to loop your stinger in big diameter coil, storing them with the stinger all coiled up in a small coil will kink the linners and you will NOT be able to get the wire speed set correctly.

The welder I use is a 240volt. 250 amp welder, it will weld carbon steel, stainless steel, Aluminuim, with the mig portion, It also has a stick welder built into it aswell, only time it gets used is in windy conditions and Hydrolic Cylinders. It is an OLD welder but works fantastic I think the duty cycle on it was 70-80%. Which is about as good as you can get without going to a 3 phase liquid cooled welder, those are in factorys and have a 100% duty cycle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast