Let there be light...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
How about doing a mirror dome light retrofit? Ever see those kind that have map lights/interior dome lights in the rearview mirror?

That is a thought but I presently have NO rear view mirror attached to my windshield. I intend to have a mirror installed when my chipped windshield is replaced in the future. Perhaps then...

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
That is a thought but I presently have NO rear view mirror attached to my windshield. I intend to have a mirror installed when my chipped windshield is replaced in the future. Perhaps then...

I've got a couple of map light mirrors...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've not done one from scratch. Just replaced defective OE switches. I'd try to find a bolt that is very close to the switch threads Maybe figure that out with trying different nuts. Then go for it with the bolt to try and tap it. Might have to taper the end of the bolt a bit on the grinder to get it started, but I'd think that sheetmetal should give up pretty easy.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
I have had enough of this! After a trip to the junkyard today in a failed attempt to find door jamb switches and a wiring harness I am going a different route. The door switches that I saw there looked different than the Advance Auto switch I bought last night. Since my Advance Auto switch would not screw in I said "Screw it!" and began another PartsQuest. I somehow found two NOS jamb switches AND a NOS courtesy light wiring harness all still in the box and ordered them (each from a seperate state). When they arrive I will begin the installation. I may incorporate HotrodPC's idea about mirror lights. I intend to get the new switches and wire them into a mirror light system that illuminates when I open the doors. This is getting to be fun again!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool :grd:

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Would someone on here be so kind as to post schematics on courtesy light installation for me? I cannot find my Haynes manual.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Anybody? I need to get a scanner fired up someday. Maybe my cam can take a good enough pic. I'll see if I can find my 86 Wiring Diagram and see what I can work out. In the meantime, anyone else, feel free to post it if you have it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Would someone on here be so kind as to post schematics on courtesy light installation fo rme? I cannot find my Haynes manual.

Anybody? I need to get a scanner fired up someday. Maybe my cam can take a good enough pic. I'll see if I can find my 86 Wiring Diagram and see what I can work out. In the meantime, anyone else, feel free to post it if you have it.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=131075#post131075

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Perfect! Thanks! I will BADLY need this when the NOS light and wiring parts arrive. It looked simple before, and the schematic confirms that it was as simple as it appeared, but I am not risking a fire!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks 89S, I figured you might be the one to come up with this. :waytogo:

Remember that Reputation Icon over there Pierce. <<<< The one that looks like an old leveling scale. Hit brutha 89S with an I approve.

You may want to follow along on that thread for some of it's info, but so the Diagram in this thread too....
attachment.php

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
The first NOS door jamb courtesy light switch I ordered arrived today. It looks similar to the one I got from Advance Auto except it has a rubber weather gasket attached to it. Curiously, I seem to have misplaced the Advance Auto switch, since I could not immediately locate it to compare the two. The NOS one seems to want to screw into the mount holes much easier. I did not put a lot of effort trying to install it since was dark outside when I tried, so I will try again later with proper light. I cannot wait for the NOS wiring harness and NOS other switch to arrive so I can finally have courtesy lights in this heap! It is amazing how NOS parts are CHEAPER than LMC! I have not ordered anything from them yet, and I hope I can continue to find these lucky NOS treasures so I do not have to.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm surprised. Seems the NOS items I want that I find on eBay cost a fortune.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
I'm surprised. Seems the NOS items I want that I find on eBay cost a fortune.

I did not find any of these NOS parts on EBAY, they were at various GMC, Chevrolet, Pontiac, or Buick dealerships. I even talked some of these dealerships down on the prices, some as low as "at cost"! They just want to clear out these old dusty boxes from their inventory!
The EBAY ones are HIGHWAY ROBBERY priced.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
hmmmm, That gets my wheels turning. OK, nothing nothing. Ohhh nothing. !!!

Might just have to visit my local GM dealers.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
OK, I have a newsflash for anyone who wants to replace or install door jamb switches in their squarebody. ADVANCE AUTO SWITCHES WILL NOT FIT. I am not sure why, but the threads are different from the OEM ones somehow and they will NOT fit in the door jamb holes. I suppose the holes could be re-drilled for anyone who is desperate, but I would not bother with it myself. It NEVER ceases to amaze me how some car parts companies sell things that they say will fit, but do not. Today I installed my NOS door jamb switches to prepare for the wiring. I accdentally cross threaded the passenger side switch because the stupid switch would not stay put during the first, second, and third attachment attempt. Luckily I was able to remove it and properly install it the fourth time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8