Leaf Spring Identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I got a matching set of 10 bolts from an 83 K5. 3.73 gears to replace my abysmal 2.77 gears that came stock in my 83 K10.

The guy just gave me these leaf springs. He said they are HD Snow Plow front springs. It has a number painted on it. 08613. This doesn't come up in a google search. There is no other stamped numbers on the springs.

The problem I am having is that they do not fit into the "pilot" hole on the spring perches on the front axle. It goes right in the hole on the rear axle.

Can I get some help here? Am I missing a rubber isolator? Help me out

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
The HD K10 front spring pack had three leafs (the standard K10 spring pack had two).

I'm not sure what you have there.

K

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'd say you prolly have a heavy duty set of front springs. The number of leaves does not always coincide with weight capacity, the other day I had a K20 with the max GVWR package and the front springs were only 3 leafs.
Worth looking at is this link: http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_Chevrolet_GMC_Truck_1500_1973_1987_s/1823.htm

It is very common for the leaf spring center bolts to be damaged and replaced by non OEM parts. I'd say your center bolt has been replaced by something a bit too large, simply grind it to fit or replace it with a smaller dia pin.

Last edited:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd say you prolly have a heavy duty set of front springs. The number of leaves does not always coincide with weight capacity, the other day I had a K20 with the max GVWR package and the front springs were only 3 leafs.
Worth looking at is this link: http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_Chevrolet_GMC_Truck_1500_1973_1987_s/1823.htm

It is very common for the leaf spring center bolts to be damaged and replaced by non OEM parts. I'd say your center bolt has been replaced by something a bit too large, simply grind it to fit or replace it with a smaller dia pin.
The bolt head is an allen key head. They look brand new except that they have been cut off on the end that the nut is on. Would any grade 8 bolt work?

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I've used regular allen bolts when I did not have time to round up replacement center bolts. Grade 8 is preferable, as mentioned the factory commonly snap over time..

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What I am asking is, they have to be round head correct? These are not factory springs that I know of. He ordered them and then went with dana 60 front so he gave them to me with the 10 bolts. The holes on the spring perches are oval/oblong so the head needs to be what size? I guess I need to find some digital calipers.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
On the front end for my truck, one was round the other was oblonged... this told me that the truck had been in a prior accident on the oblonged side. It bolted right up still, but always just a though.

Not sure if there would be a difference between the 1/2, 3/4, or 1-ton trucks, but here's one of the center pins that came off my k10:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What I am asking is, they have to be round head correct? These are not factory springs that I know of. He ordered them and then went with dana 60 front so he gave them to me with the 10 bolts. The holes on the spring perches are oval/oblong so the head needs to be what size? I guess I need to find some digital calipers.

Mine are the same on these swap axle. One is oblong, the other is round. Be interesting to see if my current axle is the same, I know it hasn't been in an accident.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are we all in agreement they are aftermarket HD front springs even though there is no part number except the sprayed on 08613

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
so according to your picture, the bolt head that goes into the spring perch should be 1/2 inch head. Correct?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
so according to your picture, the bolt head that goes into the spring perch should be 1/2 inch head. Correct?

If it's just a hex bolt, then no. The flats are 1/2 inch across, so the corners will be larger. You would have to grind them round. If the spring pins are close to fitting, just grind them until they fit the perch. Also make sure the holes in the perch aren't just rusted up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76