Kill switch which wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

germando

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
So I have converted the ash tray into a max max style kill switch pic below. Just trying to decide which wire would be the best. Cool wire or starter would work or even the neutral switch. Any of them better than the others? The switch setup is 3 dpdt switched and a push button disguised as the lighter

G

Attachments

• IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 61

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Type kill switch into the search bar. Magnifying glass top right of the page, tap it when search opens type kill switch you will get over 400 hits,plenty to read.

germando

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
i know, I’ve read most of the other posts about these. I guess my real question is will a simple 20 amp switch hold up to the load that is supplied to the starter at crank? If not then I will just go with the neutral safety switch line. But lol I just answered my own question, since I know the size of the wire to the starter from the ignition. So I will just have to decide if I want the engine to crank and not start or just not crank. So just ignore my post here lol. I am getting old

G

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
i know, I’ve read most of the other posts about these. I guess my real question is will a simple 20 amp switch hold up to the load that is supplied to the starter at crank? If not then I will just go with the neutral safety switch line. But lol I just answered my own question, since I know the size of the wire to the starter from the ignition. So I will just have to decide if I want the engine to crank and not start or just not crank. So just ignore my post here lol. I am getting old

G
Have a switch control a relay with 30 amp contacts. Problem diverted

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The starter solenoid wire sees very little amperage,the solenoid is a relay that switches the high amperage starter.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
The starter solenoid wire sees very little amperage,the solenoid is a relay that switches the high amperage starter.
That works for an automatic. But the OP didn't specify what transmission he has.

I would rather disable the coil to keep it from starting

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
That works for an automatic. But the OP didn't specify what transmission he has.

I would rather disable the coil to keep it from starting
It works for either,but if anything I'd want to interrupt fuel. It start runs dies 10 feet away and now it attracts attention. Yes it is possible with a mechanical pump we've discussed all of this. Best bet imho is an instant on alarm,leave the door unlocked,no lights no stickers,no warning. Ah! a sucker, but as soon as the door opens whoop,whoop,whoop. No broke window,no shattered column,because that's what's going to happen first,before they figure out the truck won't start.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm not a thief but disable the starter,and the coil I can still have that truck started in under a minute

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Part Number: 500239 $29

This relay kit disables the starter cranking circuit until a predetermined switch is activated. Attempts to start the car without activating the switch will sound the horn or potentially activate an item of the installer’s choice.

If you are able to build it yourself, go to autowrecker for a relay and some wiring and make your own for $1.

And if you want to be really covert use a non-conventional switch like one that activates when you put a magnet in a certain spot. There are many crazy switches available from different industries.

The point is the thief tries once, the horn starts to go off and that will likely make them run.

If you are really good at wiring, have a sequence of buttons and relays that is impossible to figure out as well you can add an inline fuel valve that closes.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It works for either,but if anything I'd want to interrupt fuel. It start runs dies 10 feet away and now it attracts attention. Yes it is possible with a mechanical pump we've discussed all of this. Best bet imho is an instant on alarm,leave the door unlocked,no lights no stickers,no warning. Ah! a sucker, but as soon as the door opens whoop,whoop,whoop. No broke window,no shattered column,because that's what's going to happen first,before they figure out the truck won't start.
^What he said!
Haven’t done the alarm but totally subscribe to the plan of starts, runs, dies. Crank til the battery is dead and then leave it because it’s attracting attention hopefully in the middle of the road.
Easy with our ‘86 with electric fuel pump (aftermarket system).
Little more of a challenge with a mechanical pump engine. Maybe consider an economical electric fuel shutoff solenoid hid underneath behind the tank switchover valve cover. If it’s dual tank.
My hidden switch is different. Considered the cig lighter trick but it gets used for charging phones.
I tested the no fuel theory. The Edelbrock on the truck will start and run long enough to idle it for a bit and drive a couple hundred yards. Sitting idling it will run for almost a minute.
My goal is if it gets boosted somewhere in public (in town here, from typical places like a parking lot), it’ll run long enough to get out into a main road or at least down the street. And then it’ll just crank with no fuel supply from either tank.
If you were going for the most simple, I’d intercept the neutral safety switch wire. That’s the least hackery of wiring. Except that’s a no crank so immediate knowledge by a thief that it has a kill switch.
IMO it’s as much about confusing the theif for a bit as it is scaring them off (alarm).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1