k20 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atvbowers

Reaction score
First Name
dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
hey guys, quick question, looking at buying a 86 crew cab 2wd, i plan to buy another k20 4wd and gut all the parts over onto my crew cab, how hard will it be, do i just drill holes in my crew cab frame or is it more complicated, i just want to know if this doable or not with out doing alot of crazy things.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It's doable, these peeps will chime and and be glad to help. Welcome aboard! Pics!! :grd:

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
You could cut the 4wd part of the frame out and 2wd part out and just weld the new part it, its simple and there's a thread somewhere but I can't really look right now.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

bulldog69

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
hey guys, quick question, looking at buying a 86 crew cab 2wd, i plan to buy another k20 4wd and gut all the parts over onto my crew cab, how hard will it be, do i just drill holes in my crew cab frame or is it more complicated, i just want to know if this doable or not with out doing alot of crazy things.
yes you can do it , but it all depends on ur skill level. Just remember , measure , measure , measure because if on thing is off a inch front or back or side to side it wont track right and u will chew up tires like crazy . If you look on line theres a coulpe of post on step by step on how to do it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No NO NO !!! No frame chop on this deal. 1 ton frames are different than K20 frames. 1 ton frames are taller. You can do this on C10, C20 and K10 and K20 but not K30. The nose of the frame should be the same as standard cab. You might ask oneluckypops for some pics and measurements. He has a bare 1 ton 4x4 frame. Also, might even consider freight cost and maybe he can cut the front half and ship it to you for splicing ,like the link 89S posted.
I'm also not sure about the K20 shackles fitting the 1 ton. I'd make sure first. It must might be the same. You'd need to at least look at a 1 ton 4x4 and see if the holes are the same from bottom up. If they're the same bottom up, then I'd say yes, if they're not and closer to the top of rail, then I'd say NO. Just check it out first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d