Just one more inch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sovereign

Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
I bought my truck sitting like this. The front fender arch is at 28inches. The rear is at 28.5 inches. I really want to come down 1 more inch at least to cover the tops of the tires. Front tires are 275/40/20 and rear are 315/35/20. The previous owner didn't use a lowering kit so I don't have perfect details on how much it's already been dropped.

What I can see on the front is that they used drop spindles and I guess cut the stock springs. The springs are not new. I haven't found any identifying marks on the spindle to detail the amount of drop. I haven't removed the rotor to look either though. Does anyone know a measurement from a reference point to the spindle center so I can maybe measure?

For the rear, I have two leafs and drop shackles with the leaf set to the lower, least drop amount, of the two holes closer to the isolator.

From looking at pictures and with what measurements I could find, I believe the truck is about a 4/6 drop currently. A 5/7 drop was my plan with whatever truck I bought so that's why I say I want another inch.

To get one more out of the rear, I was going to move the leaf up to the second hole on the shackle and use a block under the axle if necessary. I have no intentions of carrying weight so I don't see the need for a flip kit and C-notch. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My biggest concern is the front. I have 1.5 inches of clearance between the bumpstop and front k-member now. I don't mind trimming the bumpstop or even making a new mount to bring the bumpstop lower. I just haven't found any posts where people mention that being required for a 5 inch drop on the front. This has me concerned I'm already 5 in the front but it doesn't look that way visually. I realize with my front wheel size I will need to modify the tubs or my slosh tubz which is what I will most likely do. I'd like to keep the tire sizes currently on the truck since I want the tops inside the fender just a touch.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks for reading.

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• 20210529_105218.jpg
    20210529_105218.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I don't know. To my eye it looks pretty good now.

Sovereign

Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
I appreciate the kind words and agree the truck does look good now. The 5/7 drop just goes to the next level for me.

This is Rick Cheeseman's truck. He's the same height front tire and an 1inch taller in the rear. I love the look

Sovereign

Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
So I found an issue with the spindles while investigating the truck and what had been done with it. This resulted in me buying McGaughy's 2.5" drop spindles to correct the issue. I went ahead and bought 2" drop springs as well because it was obvious to me that the factory springs had been heated to collapse them. Springs are not supposed to curve like a parentheses when free in case you're wondering.

I finished late last night so I haven't driven anywhere. I'm down 3/4" already from before. This is looking great, and I'm very happy so far. I expect to rub and to have to cut the bump stops down. No big deal though since I figured this would be necessary if I did a 5/7 drop. The top of the tire is just inside the fender now which is what I wanted as a minimum. I won't bother going lower for now.

Next up, moving the rear leaf to the upper shackle hole and installing shock mount extenders to see what I can get out of the back. I need it to be closer to the front for less of a raked look before I'm satisfied.

Thank you

MelbGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Stepside
Engine Size
I'm in a similar position to you Sovereign, although I don't have drop spindles in the front of mine.
I want to go an inch lower all round, but not too sure on what to do with the front. The coils have been cut by the previous owner at some stage.......

Sovereign

Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Well, I moved the leaf springs up into the higher hole on the shackle which dropped the truck 1/2" in the rear. I still need to get my shock extenders on before I'm done. Then, I can pull it outside and post some pictures.

Right now, I'm sitting at 27 inches at the front wheel well arch and 28 inches are the rear arch. Tires are 28.5 front and rear. The front is now a McGaughys 4.5 drop using 2.5" spindles and 2" springs. I expect to rub in the front as I said above. Maybe that information can help you, Marcus?

For me, it's important that the tires be at or slightly inside the fenders to look right regardless of how low the truck physically is. I don't like seeing a gap between the tire and fender.

Brett77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
502 stroker
Take leaf springs to a leaf spring shop he can get you what you want on the rear, as for the front springs would be the easiest to drop an inch cut or by lowered springs they will get you your inch.

MelbGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Stepside
Engine Size
Well, I moved the leaf springs up into the higher hole on the shackle which dropped the truck 1/2" in the rear. I still need to get my shock extenders on before I'm done. Then, I can pull it outside and post some pictures.

Right now, I'm sitting at 27 inches at the front wheel well arch and 28 inches are the rear arch. Tires are 28.5 front and rear. The front is now a McGaughys 4.5 drop using 2.5" spindles and 2" springs. I expect to rub in the front as I said above. Maybe that information can help you, Marcus?

For me, it's important that the tires be at or slightly inside the fenders to look right regardless of how low the truck physically is. I don't like seeing a gap between the tire and fender.
Thanks Sovereign, mine measures at 682mm (26.85 inches) and the rear is sitting at 730mm (28.7 inches)
I've taken the over ride rear leaf and 1 more leaf out of the rear suspension. I have attached an old pic of the rear before I took out the leafs. Do I go drop shackle with it?
These were the front springs that the previous owner "Butchered" couldn't even cut them the samer length :(

Attachments

• IMG_6491.JPG
    IMG_6491.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6651.JPG
    IMG_6651.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_6840.JPG
    IMG_6840.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6843.JPG
    IMG_6843.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 154

Sovereign

Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
I only have two leaves in the rear. I carry no weight though. You could remove more leaves or do as mentioned and find a heavy truck repair place. They may be willing to de-arch, ie smash down in a truly strong press, your springs for you if you don't have a leaf spring shop.

You may want to consider shackles too. I've read that sport sides have different considerations that fleet sides when it comes to bed clearance with drop shackles so do your research.

What height are your tires? Keep in mind that will affect the fender height so while you're already about the same height as me with your fender, you have more gap between the tire and fender than I. This will throw off your vision of the truck.

Your truck looks great by the way. The color and the wheels work great together.

MelbGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Stepside
Engine Size
I only have two leaves in the rear. I carry no weight though. You could remove more leaves or do as mentioned and find a heavy truck repair place. They may be willing to de-arch, ie smash down in a truly strong press, your springs for you if you don't have a leaf spring shop.

You may want to consider shackles too. I've read that sport sides have different considerations that fleet sides when it comes to bed clearance with drop shackles so do your research.

What height are your tires? Keep in mind that will affect the fender height so while you're already about the same height as me with your fender, you have more gap between the tire and fender than I. This will throw off your vision of the truck.

Your truck looks great by the way. The color and the wheels work great together.
I may take more leafs out of the rear as I don't carry anything in the back of mine either.
The wheels are Boyd Speedster 20" x 9.5" front and rear. I did originally have 18" on the front but didn't like how it looked.
The tyres are 295/35/20 on the rear and 245/35/20 on the front. I can't get a higher profile tyre cheap enough for the rear.

Sovereign

Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Your rear tires calculate out to 28 inches but your fronts are at 26 which means you have less wheel to fill the area from hub up to fender than I do. If you want to take away that potential gap, you'll have to go with a taller tire. This may force you to get Slosh Tubz or modify your tubs. I've already anticipated needing Slosh Tubz for my truck.

I imagine going lower with the suspension is possible, but I'm guessing you will run into even more related issues to make it all work properly. That's getting out of my depth.

MelbGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Stepside
Engine Size
Both the front and rear tyres are the same diameter, it's only the width that is different

Sovereign

Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Both the front and rear tyres are the same diameter, it's only the width that is different
Did you mistype the front aspect ratio? A 245/35 won't be as tall as a 295/35 tire.

Having a 28in tall tire helps fill the front wheel well for sure. I just worry you'll have the same issue with rubbing that I anticipate. I should have mine back on the ground today and can drive it to confirm my suspicions.

MelbGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Stepside
Engine Size
Did you mistype the front aspect ratio? A 245/35 won't be as tall as a 295/35 tire.

Having a 28in tall tire helps fill the front wheel well for sure. I just worry you'll have the same issue with rubbing that I anticipate. I should have mine back on the ground today and can drive it to confirm my suspicions.
My tyres are 245 wide on the front with a 35 profile and a 20 inch diameter
The rear tyres are 295 wide, with the same 35 profile and 20 inch diameter.

Does that make sense?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128