Issues that need to be fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pdac1975

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Size
Hello again and I appologize for all the posts with what are probably silly questions.

I'm in the process of buying a truck online. Unfortunately i just broke my leg so I can't go view the truck in person and i've never purchased a vehicle this way. I just had it inspected by a third party and all the important things were excellent/like new or better (interior, paint, body, engine, 4x4, transmission, etc). The inspector concluded that it was an excellent truck with only minor things that need to be fixed. My question is how minor are these issues and how hard are they to fix. I realize that it's impossible to know the true issue without seeing the truck but mostly I'm wondering if these are common issues.

The issues are:
No tag light, wiper motor works but isn't hooked to the wipers, horn doesn't work, door jam switches dont work (?), and a couple of the temp guages don't work. Most of these are minor but would prevent me from being able to get the car registered here in VA.
Like I said, I'm not trying to find out how to fix these items, I'm just wondering if any of them are common issues. If I do buy the truck I would have it shipped up here and then take it directly to a shop to have these these issues fixed.

Thanks again,
-Pete

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Tag light should be an easy fix, wiper motor sounds like it should be an easy fix, horn might take a little figuring out, probably relay or contact spring in the column but a quick fix would be a momentary contact switch just hanging from the steering column till you can track down the real problem. Those should be the only things preventing it from getting inspected. Good luck and hope you get a good one! :cheers:

pdac1975

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Size
Thank you very much! Now I just need to find a decent mechanic in Northern VA. This will be my first older vehicle so i'm totally clueless.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Those items do sound fairly easy to fix.

The guy I bought my truck from used to live in Virginia. He told me all about the workings of the inspection stations and such. Sounds like they have a tight on the overall vehicle rein over yonder. We have tight smog restrictions here in CA but loose mechanical requirements and nobody ever seems to get pulled over for a tailpipe spewing out smoke or if the vehicle looks like a fender is about to fall off. You think the Highway Patrol or Sheriff's would enforce stuff like that. But nooooooooooooooo!!!

pdac1975

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Size
Yeah, they are real tough here. Luckily I just found out that I wouldn't have to pass emmissions inspection with a vehicle over 25 years old so that's a plus. I'd like to post a link to the truck I'm considering buying to get other peoples opinions but I'm not sure if that's against forum rules. Can anyone tell me if it's ok to do so?
Thanks

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah, they are real tough here. Luckily I just found out that I wouldn't have to pass emmissions inspection with a vehicle over 25 years old so that's a plus. I'd like to post a link to the truck I'm considering buying to get other peoples opinions but I'm not sure if that's against forum rules. Can anyone tell me if it's ok to do so?
Thanks

If it's a problem we will let you know, post away sir. :)

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My honest opinion follows, take it for what it's worth.

If you just cannot work on the truck right now, thats fine.

But if you dont WANT to work on it, I woudn't buy an older vehicle. If you have to pay someone to work on it all the time, you will QUICKLY have WAY more than it's worth in it. Mechanics dont care if its a 1973 or a 2003, the shop rate is the shop rate.

pdac1975

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Size
Thanks all. This is the truck. I can do a good bit of work on it myself but I'm hoping to buy a truck that needs as little work as possible. I just sold my 2011 mustang because I drive only about 30 miles a week. This seems like a much better idea but I'm willing to spend more with the hopes that it won't need too much work.

http://www.streetsideclassics.com/showcar.php/cha/1810/1983-Chevrolet-K10

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Wow that's a real peach but that price is up there!! For that money it shouldn't need anything!

pdac1975

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Size
Exactly what I'm thinking. I was fairly happy with the price until I had it inspected. That being said though, the person doing the inspection offered to fix all the minor things for very little money. The A/C will obviously be more expensive though. Also, to pass safety inspection here in VA, it would need to have cats installed and I don't think it has them.

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
woooow. thats ALOT of money!

pdac1975

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Size
I agree that it is alot of money and I certainly wouldnt pay the asking price. On the other hand though, I've been looking for a while and it's not easy to find a 4x4 with a manual tranny in such good shape. The price seems fairly inline with what other trucks in that condition are going for considering it's coming from a dealership.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Wow that's a real peach but that price is up there!! For that money it shouldn't need anything!

I agree. For 16K to not have working A/C and windshield wipers, among the other little stupid **** it needs fixed, IMO is absolutely ridiculous.

pdac1975

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Size
I agree that it is way too much money, especially when the A/C doesn't work. I may make an offer but it will be much lower. I've been searching the net for months now for a truck. It will be very lightly used and I'm not looking for a project. If anyone knows of another place to look let me know. I've done the ebay, craigslist thing.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshs74nova