Is this a good deal????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Forgottenknight

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I found a guy on craigslist that has a Dana 44 front and 12 bolt rear that had lots of work done to it...(i attached the receipt he gave me) will also come with 4" skyjacker softride springs. He says is has about 35k miles since work was done. lemme know what you guys would do... Is it worth $1,000.00? thanks!

Attachments

• 20140401_162406.jpg
    20140401_162406.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 93

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Boy did he ever get seen coming. $3300+ for Dana 44 and 12 bolt???? GEEZUS !!!

So does this deal for your include the ARB Air Compressor set up too? Being they're basically, just broke in axles with lockers and air lockers, and the 4in lift springs included, yeahhhh, it's probably a good deal for you if that's all you're interested in running is 1/2 ton axles. I'm sure he's selling because he's upgrading to 3/4-1 ton axles which is what he should have done in the first place. You just don't spend $3300 on 1/2 ton axles IMO.

Being that he's absorbing the huge loss, $1000 is probably good for you considering the Air Lockers. Some people love air lockers, some people hate them. They can become problematic and unreliable. Moreso in how they are installed as far as air line routing and your connections. And as you probably know, Dana 44 front and 12 bolt rear is only good for light to mild wheeling. If you get this set up and break axles, with the air lockers, I'd say it's probably worth replacing the broke axle if and when it happens, as it happens with chromolly axles to add a bit more strength. I'd consider going no larger than 35x12.50 tires.

But, setting strength aside, with front and rear air lockers you should be able to take your truck just about anywhere you want to go and have options in operation. You'll find that you shut that front locker off quite often. It can certainly hinder making sharp turns on tight trails. But in a mud or slick hill situation going straight, lock that bitch up and you should walk right up it or through it.

So if you're wanting to keep it with 1/2 ton axles, I say for sure go for it. The only thing I'd consider otherwise is, I've seen CUCV military axles as a set for $1400. That gives you a 14b Full Float with 4.56 and Detroit Locker in the rear, and a Dana 60 front axle also in 4.56 and sometimes those have True Trac limited slip diffs. More often than not, they're open front Dana 60, but you have the best of the best in strength with the 8 lug 1 ton axles that you could later add a limited slip or air locker to the front if you do find that you want the front locked up too.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep it doesn't matter any which way I think it, I just cant bring myself to putting any money into my half ton axles. I already bought two new axles for the same wheel ! should have drawn the line after the first one lol. They are falling apart but im gonna keep looking until I find a good set of 3/4 or 1 ton axles.

Forgottenknight

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thanks for the response guys! As far as use goes, I dont plan to use this truck for bogging... Just trying to build a fun truck for mall crawlin', maybe hunting and/or backwoods exploring. :) It will include compressor, all wires and air lines for to setup. The only thing it will be missing is a set of shocks(open to budget minded suggestions) He told me hes selling because he came across a corvette project that interested him more, and was tired of chasing rust on his 78.

I had another question about the 4.56 gears. I'm running a 700r4/NP208 on 33's, is this setup gonna scream on the highway?

Forgottenknight

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Also, is there any way to test the if the air lockers are operational after they have been removed from the vehicle?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
ARB lockers with 4.56 gears is worth 1000bucks

that is a good deal

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
thanks for the response guys! As far as use goes, I dont plan to use this truck for bogging... Just trying to build a fun truck for mall crawlin', maybe hunting and/or backwoods exploring. :) It will include compressor, all wires and air lines for to setup. The only thing it will be missing is a set of shocks(open to budget minded suggestions) He told me hes selling because he came across a corvette project that interested him more, and was tired of chasing rust on his 78.

I had another question about the 4.56 gears. I'm running a 700r4/NP208 on 33's, is this setup gonna scream on the highway?

Not with the 700r4, and the 700r4 will love you for it. The 33's will also keep some of the stress off the weaker axles and transmission. Should be a good set up for your purpose the way it sounds by your description of use.

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
Chromoly Dana 44 is good for 42s and lighter. I would rather a 44 built up over a Dana 60 stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgottenknight

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, here goes nothing. I got the axles. Rear is installed. Much more work that I anticipated!!! I gotta bring the truck to my dads to use the acetylene torch for the front. I haven't started working on the compressor yet, I also want to hook up a small 5 gallon reserve tank.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 164
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 167

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Those Wagoneer mags look good on the truck.

Forgottenknight

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks bucket! Anyone have an idea what kind of rim they are? I couldn't find a name on the back.

Also, just an update.... I got the axles in, took 'er for a spin, and nothing fell off!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
millernf