Is This a 74 Dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
So I'm looking at what's advertised as a 74 k20 but it has a 84 vin in the dash and I'm just trying to figure out what it is. This pic I would guess is a 74 dash with the wiper on the dash and 100 mph speedo. the stick on the column is directionals only. the truck is a manual but has the gear selector window above the column, Would that be right?
Just trying to see if it's worth the hassle dealing with different years since it's titled as a 74 but has the 84 vin.

You must be registered for see images attach

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes, looks like a 74 dash. Yes it would have the auto trans window with a block out plate. Must be an 84 cab. The 74 would have the vin plate on the door jam. Did the PO move the 74 plate to the door jam? In this state, Pennsylvania you would need a reconstructed vehicle title.

If you use a 74 dash pad it will hide the 84 vin. If the 74 vin plate is there, then who would know different.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
That is not a '74 dash.

The '74 dash would have a temp gauge with no numbers, and the lower left pod would either be blank or it would have a clock in it. The brake warning light on a '74 is embedded in one of the larger gauges (fuel?).

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
That is not a '74 dash.

The '74 dash would have a temp gauge with no numbers, and the lower left pod would either be blank or it would have a clock in it. The brake warning light on a '74 is embedded in one of the larger gauges (fuel?).

I believe Dan was asking about the plastic gauge front with the early style wiper switch. Yes the small gauges are from a newer truck. The Speedo is 1974 style. So it is a mix with the 74 black plastic cover.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
the 74 vin was removed ( has the rivet holes in the B pillar) and the 84 is showing in the dash. Doing texts with the guy and he doesn't really answer questions well. not sure if it's deliberate or he's doesn't really know much. I hope to meet up with him this week. worse case it's worth the sum of the parts.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Another thing is the dash under the gauges is blue and the truck is orange/red so I'm thinking some one sectioned in part of the dash with the vin attached.
I'm starting to wonder if I need the headaches or not.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dash bezel is a 73-75, the gauges are; temp - 81 and up, oil press. (depending on if its mech. or elec.) 73-76 or 77-80, volts is 76-80, speedo is 73-74, blinkers are not arrows as a 73-75ish,

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Another thing is the dash under the gauges is blue and the truck is orange/red so I'm thinking some one sectioned in part of the dash with the vin attached.
I'm starting to wonder if I need the headaches or not.

All these old squares are a mix match of parts, because you can.. If it runs and drives and it is in your price range, you want this truck... Buy the truck! :D

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think the problem is things for what the seller is saying are not where they belong. It's like @DanMcG, says the guy is trying to pass off something that isn't what he says it is or he doesn't know what he's talking about. I have a true '74 and am the second owner. There has been several modifications here. How long has this guy had this truck? Maybe he's just got it and is trying to flip it and really doesn't know anything about it. He may know something about these trucks, just not this one. Your problem, DanMcG is getting it titled with all those mixed up numbers. Are the two vin numbers the same? The vin number should be down on the drivers side frame near the engine, and if it's the original engine there are partial vin numbers on the passenger side head on a machined flat in front of the right side head. All those numbers should be the same. If they are not how are you going to use numbers that aren't correct for this truck on the title, the registration?

If you want this truck I would run the numbers on it to find out what you are looking at. If it comes back that it's not right, keep looking for a truck that's not been mixed up like this one is.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl,
You know as well as I do that these numbers and what the seller says are not right. Sure you and I would jump at a chance to get a complete truck, cheap. But the problem is how to get it licensed for the street. Unless it's to be used strictly on the farm and is not ever on an improved surface, then who cares what numbers it has on it. But the moment that right front tire touches the road you have to have paper. To me it sounds weird and I would definately have the numbers checked out.

Now if you're one of those guys who have friends who can get paper, you know, boats without titles, cars without titles, etc. I'm not one of those guys. I don't know anyone like that and never have. My brother- in- law is one of those guys. He knows people who can get paper.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@dvdswan,

Thank you! You are on the money. I'm more concerned about the vin numbers than what the dash looks like. But you're right on if the seller is making claims that's one thing, but vin nunbers that's something entirely different.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Raider L You are right about the papers. That is why I stated in post #2 that in this state, Pennsylvania you need a reconstructed vehicle title. That requires all the mismatched parts need to be documented, then a title and new number plate is issued.

Pennsylvania has some of the most restrictive laws for registration and safety inspections, probably only second to California.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
In my dash for the turn signal is there is a green film on the back housing for the speedo. And that in turn shines through a arrow cutout in the dash. So what you see is a green arrow flashing. I think in the later trucks that was made differently? Isn't that right, @Turbo4whl?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl,
Yep, I skimmed right over that, ha, ha. Oh heck, Louisiana is tough to! It's because way back people were driving vehilces that were held together with bailing wire and bubble gum. Those strict laws are still on the books. You bet.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I can remember when I was little and would be at a gas station with my grandfather, I'd get out of the car and see some old '50's car come in. And the service station attendent would open the hood and all this smoke would pour out there was so much oil coming from the valve covers onto the exhaust manifold. I walk over there and would be peeping and the engine was just covered with thick black sludge. It would be so wet with leaking oil it looked like it was bleeding...oil! He'd get his gas and pull away in a cloud of smoke coming out the back. Looking back I'm surprised we all didn't come down with some lung disease right then and there, Ha, ha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224