Is This a 74 Dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
In my dash for the turn signal is there is a green film on the back housing for the speedo. And that in turn shines through a arrow cutout in the dash. So what you see is a green arrow flashing. I think in the later trucks that was made differently? Isn't that right, @Turbo4whl?
I would have to check the signal indicators, I don't remember.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
The vin number should be down on the drivers side frame near the engine
Does anyone have a pic to show location?

I hope to hook up with the owner tomorrow and I'll update for anyone following along.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I had a 74 C20. The vin will be on a silver metal plate on the inside of the door jamb on a 74 as well as a blue sticker that had GVWR and build date. This truck was completely unmolested with original paint and trim/body.
You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Also, find out the specifics in your state. In Oregon the title follows the FRAME or unibody of the vehicle. So even if a new cab is placed on a frame, it would be titled on the original frame VIN, not the cab VIN. You can find the last 5 digits of the VIN stamped on the top of the frame somewhere near the sending unit of the passenger side tank. It varies by the truck where it is specifically stamped but it will be in that general area, which makes it very hard to find when the truck is together.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
In my dash for the turn signal is there is a green film on the back housing for the speedo. And that in turn shines through a arrow cutout in the dash. So what you see is a green arrow flashing. I think in the later trucks that was made differently? Isn't that right, @Turbo4whl?

Still that way in 1980.

I don't think it ever changed in mechanics - what changed was the size & appearance of the arrow on the dash.

I think this shows an older one - not so much the arrow looking hole.

edit - closer pic that shows the round hole wit the little triangle in the center of the hole.

Last edited:

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I had a 74 C20. The vin will be on a silver metal plate on the inside of the door jamb on a 74 as well as a blue sticker that had GVWR and build date.
I forgot about the blue tag, I'll have to look tomorrow when I go back.
the oddity about this truck is the vin tag on the B pillar is removed, and still has the holes where it was, and it's still titled and registered as a 74. all along with a 84 vin tag in the dash window.
So why change out the dash with an 80's vin and not use it?

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I forgot about the blue tag, I'll have to look tomorrow when I go back.
the oddity about this truck is the vin tag on the B pillar is removed, and still has the holes where it was, and it's still titled and registered as a 74. all along with a 84 vin tag in the dash window.
So why change out the dash with an 80's vin and not use it?
If it was just a part he got from somewhere, the PO likely didn't have the title for the whole '84 truck. It sounds like it was only the dash, not the whole cab that got swapped. The real concern is how the VIN tag in the B pillar disappeared. It's generally a felony to tamper with them. Sometimes people will remove for paint and then directly re-install, but that is still technically illegal(although intent is a big one there). It's also possible that only the frame is original and the cab is from one vehicle, dash is from another, and frame is still the original that you have the title for. Or it's possible that not a single part on that truck is from the original one that you have the title for. You just don't know until you see the correct stamped numbers somewhere.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Is there a partial vin on the engine block, if so where abouts... behind the distributor?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Is there a partial vin on the engine block, if so where abouts... behind the distributor?
Yes, if the engine is original and has never had the block decked, you will have a number stamped into a flat pad at the front base of the passenger side cylinder head. It will have a prefix code with assembly date and plant, a suffix code with original application and power, and a partial VIN at the end.

The transmission would also likely have a partial VIN stamped on it, or at least my TH400 did.

You will also have the same partial VIN stamped on top of the passenger side framerail towards the back of the cab.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Well I never hooked up with the owner so when back and looked at this thing again.
It sure looks like a 84 cab. couldn't find a vin on the frame rails, which didn't surprise me and never thought to bring something to scrape off the flat on the block to check numbers.
I left him a message that if he had the vin tag for the 74 I'd try to make a deal with him and without it it would only be worth parts value and probably less then a grand.

couple things I noticed on the cab that aren't 74 is the hood hinge pockets, the vac switch on the firewall and what I could manage to see under the dash pad corner that I was able to left up a little looks post 80.

Attachments

• hinge pocket.JPG
    hinge pocket.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 66
  • firewall thing.JPG
    firewall thing.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 55
  • dash.JPG
    dash.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 66

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
this is what confused me when I first saw it.

Attachments

• IMG_5120.JPG
    IMG_5120.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 66

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That's what I was saying in a earlier post was about the frame and engine block numbers and where to look. Man, this thing is sounding schetchy more and more. But, @Bextreme04 is right. Louisiana is like that to but I believe all those number have to be there. If any are missing you have to have signed papers of why they are not or what was done then that has to be documented. You need a ton of paper on this thing so when you go to get a title they will be asking for it all. If you don't have it... I wouldn't give that guy a dime until he has paper, paper, paper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shepard te