Is my carb vapor-loclked or flooding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Struggle

Reaction score
First Name
Blaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just put my truck together after welding the frame up around the gear box (YIKES NOT A GOOD FIND!). Prior to disassembly the truck ran great and started up every time with a tap[ of the key. I pulled the engine and wrapped the carb in a plastic bag and set on the shelf for 3 months ( drained of fuel). Slapped everything back together and started her up! Once the truck sits for a few minutes after it's warmed up it doesn't want to start! It'll start if I push down about a third way on the pedal. When it does start it feels as if the engine is working itself back up to idle which I give it gas to help (like a locomotive building pressure but faster). It makes me wonder if the carb is vapor-locked and once started it's choking out the engine until it clears the fumes. Below are my settings...

Carb Holley 650 street -Electric choke w/ Eldelbrock pro-filter
Edelbrock RPM Intake
SUMMIT Performance Vortec heads
Cam Profile: 224/234 LSA 114 / Pulls 14-15" at idle / 24 Degrees initial timing at 34 degrees total all in at 3,200 RPM.

What do you guys think?

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are you having the problem only at start-up? Does it run OK after 10 seconds or so?

The Struggle

Reaction score
First Name
Blaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just at startup after running for a bit. After running for about 10 seconds it comes out of it and back to loping as usual.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000