Is blower motor supposed to be off when off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
When I have my slider switch in the off position, my blower motor still runs in the lowest setting. Is it supposed to do this, or should it actually be off?

Also, I have a 4 speed options for the blower, and only 3 work. "Hi" doesn't work at all. Any thoughts as to why the other 3 speeds work, but not the 4th?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
yes it suppose to stay on

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, the 70's A/C trucks have the blower on all the time. There is a relay mounted near the blower motor that triggers high speed.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
2 X what David says. The blower circuit is designed to always run the fan. Even with an A/C equipped system, moving the mode control arm to OFF only blocks most of the air from entering the cab through the vents:

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, I have a 4 speed options for the blower, and only 3 work. "Hi" doesn't work at all. Any thoughts as to why the other 3 speeds work, but not the 4th?

I have a thought why. The most common cause of one (or more) blower speeds being unavailable is a failed coil(s) in the blower motor resistor stack.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Occasionally a melted plug but yea somthins burnt up

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have a thought why. The most common cause of one (or more) blower speeds being unavailable is a failed coil(s) in the blower motor resistor stack.

IIRC, high speed doesn't pass through the resistor. The resistor is there to slow down the blower for the different speeds, you don't want the blower slowing down to get high speed. High speed gets direct ignition 12v through the high speed blower relay.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
IIRC, high speed doesn't pass through the resistor. The resistor is there to slow down the blower for the different speeds, you don't want the blower slowing down to get high speed. High speed gets direct ignition 12v through the high speed blower relay.

Yep, you recall correctly. The correct answer was...faulty relay - not resistor. That's what happens when you rush when answering a question. Mea Culpa.

Below is the diagnostic chart for a "Blower Inoperative In High Speed Only" - 1973 C/K with Four Seasons Climate Control:

You must be registered for see images attach

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Gentleman,

Thank you very much. I love this frickin site!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef