Is anyone having any luck buying a vehicle from Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I went through a number of c6 salvage rebuilds around 2019, and the prices have just been too high for me to deal with them now.
Yea i dont blame ya. I've adjusted my range down so if i'm sitting on one for a while its not a killer. I just recently was able to off a 2015 Wrangler Sahara, thankfully. Its tough finding the right buyer for a salvage vehicle when your talking almost 20k

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
got few deal on Facebook Marketplace : ultra rare to find in Canada, short box in decent condition for my truck and a Canyon for $1000 ;)

Attachments

• _DSC4650.jpg
    _DSC4650.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 59
  • _DSC3086.jpg
    _DSC3086.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 52

t44e6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have pretty good luck communicating with online sellers. The problem starts when I want to dispose of something. Especially if I am giving something away, so many people will mindlessly waste your time.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Marketplace a big waste.Buyers want you to give it away and deliver it too.lol

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Marketplace a big waste.Buyers want you to give it away and deliver it too.lol

Pulling this thread of mine back up again after a few months. After looking pretty much all summer, a '86 Corvette show up on marketplace 2 hrs away from me in eastern OH. Like a fool, I send a message to the sender, get an immediate reply and then I forward my phone number to them and asked them to call me as it would be easier to ask the few questions I have over the phone instead of messaging back and forth. That was yesterday morning and so far....crickets!!!

Seriously, am I doing something wrong that I can't get anyone to even call me back? Or, is this the way it is now with people? Either way, I'm giving up the project car idea. I'm just going to enjoy the ones I have and forget about building another.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pulling this thread of mine back up again after a few months. After looking pretty much all summer, a '86 Corvette show up on marketplace 2 hrs away from me in eastern OH. Like a fool, I send a message to the sender, get an immediate reply and then I forward my phone number to them and asked them to call me as it would be easier to ask the few questions I have over the phone instead of messaging back and forth. That was yesterday morning and so far....crickets!!!

Seriously, am I doing something wrong that I can't get anyone to even call me back? Or, is this the way it is now with people? Either way, I'm giving up the project car idea. I'm just going to enjoy the ones I have and forget about building another.

Nope just **** wads. I’ve gotten cricket responses on a couple snomachines recently.
I sort of chalk up some to “wife said gotta sell it.” “Honey no one is interested!”
Had a recent used truck I was after and exact opposite. Guy pretended to be a private seller/owner. But wouldn’t quit pestering me. Turned out to be a pretty obvious Habibi car flipper salesman.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hardly anyone has communication skills to talk on a phone. They find it too hard too handle I think...
I also hate to see the vehicles that are for sale, have diapers, paper cups and mud/ trash all in and on the thing. Yet they think someone will buy it, "Don't lowball" them either! Lol

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Nope just **** wads. I’ve gotten cricket responses on a couple snomachines recently.
I sort of chalk up some to “wife said gotta sell it.” “Honey no one is interested!”
Had a recent used truck I was after and exact opposite. Guy pretended to be a private seller/owner. But wouldn’t quit pestering me. Turned out to be a pretty obvious Habibi car flipper salesman.

I'm glad that it isn't just me going through this. Thankfully, I haven't run across any of the spammer flippers yet.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hardly anyone has communication skills to talk on a phone. They find it too hard too handle I think...
I also hate to see the vehicles that are for sale, have diapers, paper cups and mud/ trash all in and on the thing. Yet they think someone will buy it, "Don't lowball" them either! Lol

Maybe that's it. I guess that my age is showing, but it is so much easier to just talk to someone.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm glad that it isn't just me going through this. Thankfully, I haven't run across any of the spammer flippers yet.
These guys aren’t spammers or even really scammers for the most part. Well they kinda are because they always have some bullchit story until you call them on it. At which point I generally move on. But if I wanted to buy a used car from a car dealer I would. I prefer private owner as ones likely to get some history on the vehicle and better judge how it was taken care of.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I will preface this by saying I didn't read the entire thread and I'm not looking to buy a vehicle on craigslist. However one of the primary modes to advertise the farm stuff is on craigslist, mainly egg sales, chick sales, and this time of year turkey sales. I also take some free stuff from craigslist. Mainly farm stuff like metal fence posts, chicken feeders ect. But I also take stuff like pallets to use for various stuff and if I get to many free pallets I sell the extras. Sometimes a deal or something I can make use of or resell. I once took 1,000 of those retaining wall bricks. I did have a project which used about a 1/3 and then sold the rest.

My point, of late it's been terrible just getting guys GIVING stuff away to even respond and then I see their ads reposted. I don't get it, and yes I check my spam folder, but maybe they don't!

Also seems like stuff that has a responsive owner goes terribly fast these days.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
This place seams like a good spot to vent on my/canadian fellow Kijiji app. It's just like Craigslist.

They screwed the living heck out of it. Let's to a update they say it will be better they say. Nope its just like the Facebook marketplace which I don't use cause its not user friendly and next thing you know I'm trying to buy stuff 500km away.

The old version of the was was so simple easy to use now its just dumb. I buy watch and sell alot of stuff on there. Now its impossible to use. And have seen a dramatic drop in postings. I could post and sell stuff in a day to two days. Now I'm lucky if I get 10 to 20 visits a day.

Thats my rant lol.

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
It looks like craigslist has changed the layout of the site some recently. I haven't looked for a vehicle there in over a year. It seems like buying anything these days is a crap shoot.

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
I have never had a successful transaction happen on FB Marketplace with anyone younger than 60. I did buy my 1978 GMC from a 93 year old former Marine, though.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
@Maxwellvis just picked this up this last weekend off Craigslist.
You must be registered for see images attach

He found it earlier in the week and made the appointment to see it on the weekend (last Saturday).
We went and looked at it, agreed on price and told him we had a couple things to figure out about storage and that we would not leave him hanging with it.

He was ok with that and we left.
Max went back a few hours later with the cash and a trailer.
Now it is in my driveway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell