Is anyone having any luck buying a vehicle from Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've been chasing a project car since the spring. Not even being very picky about make/model. Just some rear drive, V8 platform as a street/strip project with my teenager. GM G Body, B-Body Chrysler, Thunderbird, etc.

Anyway, I've attempted to look at a half dozen or so that have popped up on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace over the last few months. If the ad says text, I text. If it says call, I call. Only once has one of the sellers even taken the time to respond to a message or return a call. That one was to tell me that they sold it weeks prior and forgot to remove the ad.

What's up with these people? Do they actually want to sell the vehicle or are they just playing games with these online classifieds? Am I the only one running in to this problem?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I usually cruise C-list on the weekends just to see whats about but i havent tried to buy anything lately. Ive got tons of parts to list for sale but i been too lazy to do it lol

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
Seems to be the norm here, too. Not to mention the ads that never get canceled long after the item is sold.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use Facebook only for Marketplace. I am fighting the fact that the apps, FB and Messenger, do not send me notifications. I have all the settings correct, but they still don't work right. I just found someone contacted me through Messenger two days ago. Then when I tried to see the message, the stupid app wouldn't open it. I don't care for the app, but I have been able to sell a couple of things and buy some cheap headers for my truck. I have been slow in getting back to people for that reason.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I use Facebook only for Marketplace. I am fighting the fact that the apps, FB and Messenger, do not send me notifications. I have all the settings correct, but they still don't work right. I just found someone contacted me through Messenger two days ago. Then when I tried to see the message, the stupid app wouldn't open it. I don't care for the app, but I have been able to sell a couple of things and buy some cheap headers for my truck. I have been slow in getting back to people for that reason.

That may be a possibility with FB ads.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Seems fairly normal to me.
Between flakes, scammers , greasy used car dealers posing as private owners (speaking not just about old project vehicles) and the current stupid vehicle market, it’s a crap shoot.
Most all of our vehicles are used private party purchases and you never know.
That said I ageee with you and it’s really frustrating when you find something you’re interested in and can’t get a call text or message back from the seller.

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
I just got on facebook. It's a lot more complicated than CL. Unfortunately in my area everyone I do business with looks on FB 1st. I used to have over 50 ads a one time posted on CL. I only post a couple ads now, just don't have time for any more. Scammers are everywhere on both sites. Any ad that looks to good of a deal is a scam!

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
They'll tell you to not ask if its still avail,then you inquire only to be informed that its been gone a month.lol
Or they say,dont lowball me I know what I got...and its a pile of excrement,and they know it! Lol

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
Yeah I shocked at crazy prices people want for trucks. What I buy is usually the ones that can't be saved. I salvage all parts that I can and sell or keep them for myself. I see posted trucks for 5-10K that I wouldn't pay 2K for!

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Got my ss and square off CL but found my 454, transmission and rally rims and tires for the square onFacebook marketplace.

But, I do hate when they don't get back with you. Sometimes it help because, I really didn't need another project. Lol

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Yeah I shocked at crazy prices people want for trucks. What I buy is usually the ones that can't be saved. I salvage all parts that I can and sell or keep them for myself. I see posted trucks for 5-10K that I wouldn't pay 2K for!
The one at the show today down the road from wayne had no motor/trans and was rotted to hell and the guy had $5k on it... wtf?!

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
Prices are always way out of reality at Carlisle! Been like that forever. You have to watch what u buy. Seen a few butcher jobs with nice shiny paint.

Buickspec6231

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
As a guy trying to sell a boat and motorcycle on Marketplace right now...... The amount of messages you get daily from people either wanting you to trade for trash, or low ball your already cheap vehicle down to nothing is amazing. Not to mention the people who inquire, but then never respond back to you. Its exhausting and frustrating. My advice for Marketplace, don't use the "Is this still available" button. Take a little extra time to type out your own message. For me personally, I take it more seriously if the buyer is taking a few seconds to try to make a connection.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've been chasing a project car since the spring. Not even being very picky about make/model. Just some rear drive, V8 platform as a street/strip project with my teenager. GM G Body, B-Body Chrysler, Thunderbird, etc.

Anyway, I've attempted to look at a half dozen or so that have popped up on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace over the last few months. If the ad says text, I text. If it says call, I call. Only once has one of the sellers even taken the time to respond to a message or return a call. That one was to tell me that they sold it weeks prior and forgot to remove the ad.

What's up with these people? Do they actually want to sell the vehicle or are they just playing games with these online classifieds? Am I the only one running in to this problem?

I do not buy and sell vehicles often, but I work at shop, and on the farm we sell our products direct to buyer, either to existing clientele or though ads in craigslist or FB Marketplace.

I'm not sure if this will all apply to you since we are on opposite ends of the county but here at least it seems like the value of used vehicles has tripled in the past few years. I was just talking to a guy today who was looking for a used Dodge Dakota he wanted a 97 - 04 4X4 with the 5.2 and cannot find one for less than 10K in good shape, he was trying to get one guy asking 12K to come down and he ended up selling it in the first week apparently for his asking price. That's just one story, I could tell ya more.

Like I said on the farm we sell and also buy some from CL & MP. We call them flakes, those that don't respond to messages or no show. We are trying to do as much of the area we let the birds free range in, in used chain link fence, because we could never afford new. It seems like for every ad I see and respond to maybe only every 5th or 6th will even bother to respond to my message.

It gets frustrating I get it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88