Intermittent Random Missfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

You can also hear the missfire while cruisin if you have good bass on your speakers.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

You can also hear the missfire while cruisin if you have good bass on your speakers.

Hmmm...ya know, the Earl pump is driven by the distributor. But unless it goes to 0, I wouldnt worry too much.
Do check the distributor though.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Fill the crank case with propane to check for leaks under the manifold...you need to plug the dipstick tube, the breather hole, and pipe the propane in through the pcv hole in the valve cover, and listen for a change in idle.

:wtf:

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Yeah I never heard of propane in the crankcase....... I have access to a smoke machine so Im good on that.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah I never heard of propane in the crankcase....... I have access to a smoke machine so Im good on that.

Smoke machine wont reveal any leaks on the lower part of the intake manifold gaskets.
John,
The crank case area is open to the lifter valley under the intake manifold via oil drain holes. If there is an intake gasket leak, the propane vapor will be sucked into the leak, and either speed up or smooth the engine out.

Last edited:

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Smoke machine wont reveal any leaks on the lower part of the intake manifold gaskets.
John,
The crank case area is open to the lifter valley under the intake manifold via oil drain holes. If there is an intake gasket leak, the propane vapor will be sucked into the leak, and either speed up or smooth the engine out.

Ahhhhh I see. So it would be like performing a leak down test without the leakdown equipment?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ahhhhh I see. So it would be like performing a leak down test without the leakdown equipment?

No, its more like sending a tiny robot under your manifold just to shoot some carb cleaner at the bottom part of the intake gaskets to see if they are leaking, just like you do on top. all with the engine running.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
John,

I know, it just sounds like making a bomb to me that's all. What if that gets ignited somehow?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I know, it just sounds like making a bomb to me that's all. What if that gets ignited somehow?

Then the ports on the valve covers would look like the back of an F-18 getting ready to shoot off a Carrier deck. Not gonna happen, no spark under Yonder.

Last edited:

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Jim you have a way with words. You crack me up.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Got the oil problem fixed. Added a qt and its fine now. Guess Ill start usin 6 qts instead of 5. Still workin on the missfire. Broke till tomorrow and in between startin jobs soooooo. Heres a vid of the oil pressure and the temp it runs at. Nevermind the talkin some guy stopped next to me and wanted to know who does my body work.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Got the oil problem fixed. Added a qt and its fine now. Guess Ill start usin 6 qts instead of 5. Still workin on the missfire. Broke till tomorrow and in between startin jobs soooooo. Heres a vid of the oil pressure and the temp it runs at. Nevermind the talkin some guy stopped next to me and wanted to know who does my body work.

Have you popped open your distributor yet, and looked at the advance weights, and the magnetic pickup?

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Have you popped open your distributor yet, and looked at the advance weights, and the magnetic pickup?

No Im readin up on the advance and everything. The idle in the vid is not the missfire. I wouldnt be drivin if it was that bad lol. The distributor didnt have any play in it tho it was tight.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
No Im readin up on the advance and everything. The idle in the vid is not the missfire. I wouldnt be drivin if it was that bad lol. The distributor didnt have any play in it tho it was tight.

You must have a slammin ass cam in that thing!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000