Installing a lighted rearview mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl I knew there was a passage down the A-pillar but did not know if it was usable for wiring until I put the shelf up, so wiring runs on the shelf out of sight and then down the A-pillar where I have the shelf attached to what use to hold the visors. Had I known I could snake it though the celling I would have had the lighted rearview mirror in there 3 years ago.....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Why aftermarket? I went to the parts store a few days ago to get a new courtesy light and every led bulb was a Sylvania. Huge difference.
I also did the mirror thing w/o the reading lights. Mine has the compass, auto dimming and temp readout. Its from a 2001 Silverado. I drilled a 1\4" hole above the mirror thru the inner roof skin. Ran the wires thru a piece of vacuum tubing and into the hole. Very simple and clean. Then you run the wires inside the roof and down the A-pillar completely out of sight.
This is my hang up on LEDs. At the shop I've seen issues with aftermarket LEDs when used like for example in turn signal bulbs, causing cross circuit bleeding and even short circuiting blowing the fuse. Typically after they have been installed and used for a year or more. I've seen similar issues with marker lights, interior and even headlights. Now I obviously have no idea where these people are getting their LED's from and I'd be a lot more comfortable with Sylvania than no name junk off E-bay. For me I just don't want to tango with the potential issues. If I get rig in with an problem on a light circuit, that has had LEDs installed first thing I do now is pull the LEDs. My one suggestion for you is to keep that in mind incase you run into so weird electrical issue down the road on a circuit that doesn't seem to make sense. You might discover it's one of the LED bulbs.

I'd like one of those mirrors with the compass and temp on it, but I had this one already so the cost was very attractive.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
Thanks! I've thought about putting an LED bulb in the dome light. The thing is I'm just not much a fan of aftermarket LED lights in general, and they feel a little out of place in older rigs to me. So I'm holding off on that, unless I decide it's absolutely necessary.
That's one of the things that holds me back... From the cold blue-white light they emit (I'm sure there's a few that approximate incandescent color available if I look hard enough) to the weird issues they cause on occasion, solid state lighting feels weird on older vehicles... but I'm odd like that.

The dome light they used in 1973-83 trucks is noticeably brighter, and pretty livable. That one used a 1004 bulb. The 1984-up one uses a 211-2 bulb, and is a little gimpier (Suburbans, Blazers, crew cabs etc always used the 211-2). I go sort of ghetto and remove the lens on my truck if I really need to see something, but have kicked the idea of running one of those Donnelly lighted mirrors... I like the thinner early style one like you've installed in yours.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That's one of the things that holds me back... From the cold blue-white light they emit (I'm sure there's a few that approximate incandescent color available if I look hard enough) to the weird issues they cause on occasion, solid state lighting feels weird on older vehicles... but I'm odd like that.

The dome light they used in 1973-83 trucks is noticeably brighter, and pretty livable. That one used a 1004 bulb. The 1984-up one uses a 211-2 bulb, and is a little gimpier (Suburbans, Blazers, crew cabs etc always used the 211-2). I go sort of ghetto and remove the lens on my truck if I really need to see something, but have kicked the idea of running one of those Donnelly lighted mirrors... I like the thinner early style one like you've installed in yours.
As you know I have the gimpy 211-2. That rearview mirror was common in the 80's GM luxury vehicles, Cadillac's, 88's, 98's, park avenue ect. They use to be easy to find in wrecking yards and cheap, now I have no idea.

Side note I should install a cargo light one of these days as well. I think I've seen the factory style at LMC.....

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
LOL, I like the grandma joke! You might be 100% right on that. This is my hang up on LEDs. At the shop I've seen issues with aftermarket LEDs when used like for example in turn signal bulbs, causing cross circuit bleeding. Obviously I know in a dome light it's not going be a problem. I think they look harsh when drop in LED bulbs are put into dash gauge cluster lights, but on factory LED cluster lights they look great. I've also seen some issues with drop in (bulb style) LED headlight bulbs. I just saying all that so you know why I'm not keen on aftermarket LEDs. Besides you really wanna see what Grandma is doing at night in the truck?!?!?
I know what you mean, I tried the first generation of LED bulbs on my old motor home and hated them. I waited at least until 3rd gen LED were released to try them again. The turn signal issue you mentioned was handled years ago, everyone makes LED compatible flashers, even Sylvania, so no need for resistors. It's all plug and play now, they have upgraded from plug and pray. The dimming issue is no longer a valid concern, that has been corrected too. (they sell both dimable and non)I used them in my gauge cluster on the Charger and they look amazing, and they dim.

There is no longer a skill set required to install LED bulbs. The old yellow light bulbs influence how your eyes percieve color, they taint the image. White light (sun light) gives you a truer view of the actual colors of your interior, or whatever they are illuminating. I have had older people tell me they don't like the whiter spectrum of LED lights because it reminds them of hospital lighting. Kinda funny considering most hospitals use whiter (daylight type) bulbs to simulate sun light to make it less depressing to be there for extended periods of time.

If you are really into the vintage look of interior lighting, they also sell other types of white from 2700k up to 5000k. You can still have the look you prefer and have the advantages of longer lasting, lower power usage LED lights. 2700k is towards the yellow side and the closer to 5000k the whiter the light, when you go higher than 6000k they start to have a slight blue tint.

Attachments

• 20210926_194105.jpg
    20210926_194105.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 57

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I know what you mean, I tried the first generation of LED bulbs on my old motor home and hated them. I waited at least until 3rd gen LED were released to try them again. The turn signal issue you mentioned was handled years ago, everyone makes LED compatible flashers, even Sylvania, so no need for resistors. It's all plug and play now, they have upgraded from plug and pray. The dimming issue is no longer a valid concern, that has been corrected too. (they sell both dimable and non)I used them in my gauge cluster on the Charger and they look amazing, and they dim.

There is no longer a skill set required to install LED bulbs. The old yellow light bulbs influence how your eyes percieve color, they taint the image. White light (sun light) gives you a truer view of the actual colors of your interior, or whatever they are illuminating. I have had older people tell me they don't like the whiter spectrum of LED lights because it reminds them of hospital lighting. Kinda funny considering most hospitals use whiter (daylight type) bulbs to simulate sun light to make it less depressing to be there for extended periods of time.

If you are really into the vintage look of interior lighting, they also sell other types of white from 2700k up to 5000k. You can still have the look you prefer and have the advantages of longer lasting, lower power usage LED lights. 2700k is towards the yellow side and the closer to 5000k the whiter the light, when you go higher than 6000k they start to have a slight blue tint.
I'm not trying to be a jerk in saying this but the one thing that I'd hoped when I made the thread is that it wouldn't turn into thread about LED bulbs but here we are.

The turn signal issue, yes I know the original drop in LED bulbs did not play well with flasher units that's not what I'm talking about. What I think I'm seeing is the drop in LED bulbs shorting internally, there by causing cross bleeding of the circuit, for example a guy might turn on the right turn signal and all the marker lights flash because one of the drop in LED bulbs is bleeding voltage into the running light circuit. This does NOT pertain to just the older generations of LED's, we see a few rigs a year at the shop with this issue. I have never paid attention to brand names, of the LEDs causing this, as I said I don't know where the customers are getting them from.

I agree the older LEDs we worse as far as the spectrum of light color produced, but you missing what I'm saying. In a modern vehicle equipped factory with LED lighting it looks fine. The drop in bulbs in an old dash meant to be lite with 2,700K incandescent bulbs, looks bad IMO with modern drop in bulbs. Just my opinion you don't have to agree.

I have seen enough drop in LED installations at the shop, to know that it's not for me. Would I put one in my dome light to increase the amount light output, sure if I find I really need it, but that's as far as I'm going to go. Maybe a few more generations of LED refinement and I'll feel differently.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I replaced the OEM dome lens with this one from LMC. Definitely adds more light even with my stock bulb.

LMC #36-4209

You must be registered for see images attach
I might get one of these, mine is in pretty good shape, but is a yellow lens.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I replaced the OEM dome lens with this one from LMC. Definitely adds more light even with my stock bulb.

LMC #36-4209

I got one of those "before" from a pack from dorman or something from the auto store. It fits, ******, but it works. To my surprise. But damn that other housing cover looks way nicer.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

these can be found on 2002-2003 blazer apparently, probably more years too. maybe the oldsmobile bravada and GMC Jimmy

They CAN be found on mirrors that have these features

That has Compass, homelink (garage opener) and nighttime auto dim, but they exist with temp (sensor required) and lights too

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

these can be found on 2002-2003 blazer apparently, probably more years too. maybe the oldsmobile bravada and GMC Jimmy

They CAN be found on mirrors that have these features

That has Compass, homelink (garage opener) and nighttime auto dim, but they exist with temp (sensor required) and lights too
When I was first looking at the mirror project, right after I got the square and hadn't realized that I had the one I do I looked around and really wanted one with lights, compass and temp. My Jeep and wife's minivan both have overhead counsels with those features . Really it's the lights and the temp. I'd most want. more so at the time I missed being able to glance at the outside temp. I may get something that will show outside temp and mount it in my overhead shelf.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
When I was first looking at the mirror project, right after I got the square and hadn't realized that I had the one I do I looked around and really wanted one with lights, compass and temp. My Jeep and wife's minivan both have overhead counsels with those features . Really it's the lights and the temp. I'd most want. more so at the time I missed being able to glance at the outside temp. I may get something that will show outside temp and mount it in my overhead shelf.
Since you have a shelf, an outdoor weather station battery powered :)

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm not trying to be a jerk in saying this but the one thing that I'd hoped when I made the thread is that it wouldn't turn into thread about LED bulbs but here we are.

The turn signal issue, yes I know the original drop in LED bulbs did not play well with flasher units that's not what I'm talking about. What I think I'm seeing is the drop in LED bulbs shorting internally, there by causing cross bleeding of the circuit, for example a guy might turn on the right turn signal and all the marker lights flash because one of the drop in LED bulbs is bleeding voltage into the running light circuit. This does NOT pertain to just the older generations of LED's, we see a few rigs a year at the shop with this issue. I have never paid attention to brand names, of the LEDs causing this, as I said I don't know where the customers are getting them from.

I agree the older LEDs we worse as far as the spectrum of light color produced, but you missing what I'm saying. In a modern vehicle equipped factory with LED lighting it looks fine. The drop in bulbs in an old dash meant to be lite with 2,700K incandescent bulbs, looks bad IMO with modern drop in bulbs. Just my opinion you don't have to agree.

I have seen enough drop in LED installations at the shop, to know that it's not for me. Would I put one in my dome light to increase the amount light output, sure if I find I really need it, but that's as far as I'm going to go. Maybe a few more generations of LED refinement and I'll feel differently.
Good bulbs have resistors that help with that voltage bleed problem Hell, I had a cigarette lighter socket be powered by my scan tool when the socket was unplugged and the usb charge thing was still hooked to scan tool, but the scan tool was hooked to the truck, and the tool/indirectly the truck were feeding the LED on the thing lol!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Since you have a shelf, an outdoor weather station battery powered :)
Ok wait. I got an idea. So I could get that weather station on the shelf and then using the data from it I could publish a daily forecast called..... The square forecast! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey