1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of a DA sander advice

Discussion in 'Paint and Body' started by DanMcG, Aug 13, 2020.

1. DanMcG

DanMcG Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Truck Year:
    1978 1985
    Truck Model:
    k10 k10
    Engine Size:
    305 350
    I need to start stripping the paint off some bedsides and started looking at da's. The main difference I noticed is the cfm's they use. I assume the more cfm's the more power it has, but it would also need to match your compressors cfm output.
    My compressor puts out 7.6 cfm at 90psi so I figured I should be looking at DA's in the 5-6 cfm range. Am I on the right track? And any brands recommended? (looking at mid range prices) I don't need it to last forever, but don't want the cheapest that won't do the job.
    Thanks

2. ali_c20

ali_c20 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Alexander
    Truck Year:
    1974, 1979
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    Your'e on the right track
    The compressor is more important than the tool. If you don't have enough air volume and pressure both cheap and expensive tools don't work.
    The average output should be higher than the average air consumption of the tool you are using. The DA sander I have uses 12cfm average. I have a compressor with a 65 gallon air tank and ~ 20 cfm output at 100psi (depends on pressure) It works great for all my air tools. For my media blasting cabinet a bigger one would be nice but it works.
    I go for the upper mid range priced tools. The work is done faster and they last longer.

80BrownK10, waterpirate and DanMcG like this.
  3. legopnuematic

legopnuematic Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Spencer
    Truck Year:
    1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5
    Truck Model:
    Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10
    Engine Size:
    350 c.i., 350 c.i.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...ishers/6-in-dual-action-air-sander-68152.html

I had an old Rockwell (made in Japan) D/A that was old when I got it and finally locked up, I had bought one of these from Harbor Freight and my friend bought one too, for the price they work as intended, so far have stripped a 75 K5, parts of my 79, and a Honda CRX. about two rolls of 80 grit PSA sandpaper through each and still work good.

80BrownK10 and DanMcG like this.