Redoing the Floor pans in an 82, a bit of Carnage, HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
So I've made a few posts about my troubles getting out all the seat/seatbelt bolts and whatnot.
Now I have everything out and I'm assessing the damage. Its not good, at all, but seen several posted here and other places that are worse.

I think I need the following:
Cab Floors L and R
Inner and Outer Rockers, L and R
Outer Cab Corners, L and R
Footwell Kick Panels, L and R.

If It was just the Floors and not getting into the Footwell/kick panels, the rockers or where the floor pan goes up the hump in front of where the seat mounts on each side I'd be much more ap to try it.

I picked up an air powered cutting wheel, a pack of discs and a small grinder from you guest it Harbor Freight. This sunday, provided I get time I want to try to clean it up and inspect it a bit more, maybe cut out some of the cancer.

It says I can only attach 5 files. I'll put the next 4 in the next post.

Attachments

• 01DriversSide-JambAndFloor01.jpg
    01DriversSide-JambAndFloor01.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 02DriversSide-JambAndFloor02.jpg
    02DriversSide-JambAndFloor02.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 03DriversSide-JambAndKickPanel.jpg
    03DriversSide-JambAndKickPanel.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 04DriversSide-JambFloorAndSeatHump.jpg
    04DriversSide-JambFloorAndSeatHump.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 05PassengerSideFloor01.jpg
    05PassengerSideFloor01.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
Also, what is that stuff that looks like some type of painted Sealant/Paper thats a large sheet on each side?

I'm trying to peel that crap up and its either not coming or just ripping.

I ment to get more up under the dash, looks much better up there.

I think one of this trucks problems was/is, both vent windows leak bad and are on my short list of the long list of things to get fixed.

Attachments

• 06PassengerSideFloor02.jpg
    06PassengerSideFloor02.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 07PassengerSideFloorAndJamb.jpg
    07PassengerSideFloorAndJamb.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 08PassengerSideFloorAndKickPanel.jpg
    08PassengerSideFloorAndKickPanel.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 09PassengersideFloorAndKickPannel.jpg
    09PassengersideFloorAndKickPannel.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 107

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
Looks like 290.00 + shipping for all the parts from AMD....

Front Cab Floor Half - Drop In - LH - 73-87 Chevy GMC C/K Truck; 73-91 Blazer Jimmy Suburban
Part# 405-4073-L Retail: (USD) $36.99

Front Cab Floor Half - Drop In - RH - 73-87 Chevy GMC C/K Truck; 73-91 Blazer Jimmy Suburban
Part# 405-4073-R Retail: (USD) $36.99

Inner Rocker Panel - Full - LH - 73-86 Chevy GMC C/K Truck; 87-91 Chevy GMC R/V Truck
Part# 406-4073-L Retail: (USD) $34.99

Inner Rocker Panel - Full - RH - 73-86 Chevy GMC C/K Truck; 87-91 Chevy GMC R/V Truck
Part# 406-4073-R Retail: (USD) $34.99

Outer Rocker Panel - Front Door - LH - 73-86 Chevy GMC C/K Truck; 87-91 Chevy GMC R/V Truck
Part# 450-4073-L Retail: (USD) $24.99

Outer Rocker Panel - Front Door - RH - 73-86 Chevy GMC C/K Truck; 87-91 Chevy GMC R/V Truck
Part# 450-4073-R Retail: (USD) $24.99

Outer Cab Corner - Full - LH - 73-87 Chevy GMC C/K Pickup
Part# 480-4073-1L Retail: (USD) $22.99

Outer Cab Corner - Full - RH - 73-87 Chevy GMC C/K Pickup
Part# 480-4073-1R Retail: (USD) $22.99

**Not sure if need the Kick Pannels or not**
Footwell (Kick Panel) - LH - 73-86 Chevy GMC C/K Truck; 87-91 Chevy GMC R/V Truck
Part# 402-4073-L Retail: (USD) $24.99

Footwell (Kick Panel) - RH - 73-86 Chevy GMC C/K Truck; 87-91 Chevy GMC R/V Truck
Part# 402-4073-R Retail: (USD) $24.99

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
So I've made a few posts about my troubles getting out all the seat/seatbelt bolts and whatnot.
Now I have everything out and I'm assessing the damage. Its not good, at all, but seen several posted here and other places that are worse.

I think I need the following:
Cab Floors L and R
Inner and Outer Rockers, L and R
Outer Cab Corners, L and R
Footwell Kick Panels, L and R.

If It was just the Floors and not getting into the Footwell/kick panels, the rockers or where the floor pan goes up the hump in front of where the seat mounts on each side I'd be much more ap to try it.

I picked up an air powered cutting wheel, a pack of discs and a small grinder from you guest it Harbor Freight. This sunday, provided I get time I want to try to clean it up and inspect it a bit more, maybe cut out some of the cancer.

It says I can only attach 5 files. I'll put the next 4 in the next post.

The more I look at it, the more overwhelmed I get.

I think the worst part is in pics 03 and 04...
On three, I don't even know what to say....
On 4, the part that really worries me is where the rust really gets up on that hump where the bench seat sits, that the tank is under.
Looking at all the patch or replacement panels, none of them really go up that far.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
There's lots of videos on Youtube of guys doing the exact same repairs on these trucks. I'd start there for some guidance if it were me.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
There's lots of videos on Youtube of guys doing the exact same repairs on these trucks. I'd start there for some guidance if it were me.
I've watched about 15 videos in the last few days. Seen a lot of stuff, but none seemed to be rusted up on that seat hump.

I've also been scouring the various venders, NPD, LMC, Amd, etc... None of them have I seen any panels that look like they get that far up on the seat hump.

This panel here looks to be the best option I've seen so far. AMD Drop In FloorBoard-704-4073-L
But It does not go up high enough or over that Bump part.

In the pic I attached, If you click on it to make it bigger, its that replacement part I listed right above, but I shaded the really bad rust area that I'm talking about.
I've not seen anyone in any of the videos touch that area.

Also, with this panel, would I just put it over the other and weld it in? Or does the other need cut out, just the rusty sports or what?

It'll be covered by the carpet and deadener, but I really want to do this right when I do it and I want it to last and not cause other issues...

Back to Youtube between calls!!! :)

Attachments

• ReplacementFloorPanDRside-DROP-In-AMD-PartNo-405-4073-L.jpg
    ReplacementFloorPanDRside-DROP-In-AMD-PartNo-405-4073-L.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 66

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
I've watched about 15 videos in the last few days. Seen a lot of stuff, but none seemed to be rusted up on that seat hump.

I've also been scouring the various venders, NPD, LMC, Amd, etc... None of them have I seen any panels that look like they get that far up on the seat hump.

This panel here looks to be the best option I've seen so far. AMD Drop In FloorBoard-704-4073-L
But It does not go up high enough or over that Bump part.

In the pic I attached, If you click on it to make it bigger, its that replacement part I listed right above, but I shaded the really bad rust area that I'm talking about.
I've not seen anyone in any of the videos touch that area.

Also, with this panel, would I just put it over the other and weld it in? Or does the other need cut out, just the rusty sports or what?

It'll be covered by the carpet and deadener, but I really want to do this right when I do it and I want it to last and not cause other issues...

Back to Youtube between calls!!! :)

You could always go this route.
www.classicparts.com/1973-87-Cab-Floor-Pan-Complete-Small-Hum

You must be registered for see images attach

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size

This will get portions and even small parts needed to replace the flooring. I am doing this very thing right now for my 78 Scottsdale.

Attachments

• IMG_5467.jpg
    IMG_5467.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5470.jpg
    IMG_5470.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 85

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
those floor pans look like they've been replaced already. or it's just the pics

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
those floor pans look like they've been replaced already. or it's just the pics
It could be both... :) I'm assuming the vent windows have been open and leaking for years. I'm going to try and get more pics of them in the next day or two. Been busy with work and other wifey projects...

Have you thought of making a sheet metal part.

There are two very good YouTube channels on making sheet metal parts.

Fitzee's Fabrication

Make it Kustom

I haven't because I've never messed with any of this stuff before. I don't even know where I'd get sheet metal to sheets to attempt it. Living in a really rural area has it perks, but a few negatives like lack of places to get things, is my biggest one....

I will watch those videos and see if I pick something up for sure...
Thank You.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It could be both... :) I'm assuming the vent windows have been open and leaking for years. I'm going to try and get more pics of them in the next day or two. Been busy with work and other wifey projects...

I haven't because I've never messed with any of this stuff before. I don't even know where I'd get sheet metal to sheets to attempt it. Living in a really rural area has it perks, but a few negatives like lack of places to get things, is my biggest one....

I will watch those videos and see if I pick something up for sure...
Thank You.
if you forgo a driver side tank you could probably sheet-metal rig up something easier(flatter) but this would be very custom and like I said it would be sitting farther down which you dont have room to do technically as of now

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
First Name
Art
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey just checking in on the status of your repairs. I’m currently in same boat and have all the parts from AMD in my cart.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
Hey sorry for the lack of posts and responses. Been really busy with work, dads health issues and other life things.

As far as the C10's Floors, I've not made any progress on it or any other of the endless lists of things that I want/need to get done, before I start doing any of the cool stuff...
Along with the crap above and Winter being here, I've had no place to do any work to it and as I get older I can't stand the cold as much. Meaning, unless my work requires it, I'm staying inside where its warm.... :) I haven't even been shooting in a few months... Looking fwd to getting back into that here soon.

I did however meet a guy today (actually a customer of the business I run) that he has his owns side shop.
More Hotrods and classics than Lowered C10s like I like, but he seems like a decent dude and it looks like he does good work from the few pics I've seen today.

He told me he is booked up for now, but around May, he could get me in and he could either patch a few places that need it or redo a complete floor.

When it warms up a bit more here in a few weeks I'm gonna get a battery back in the beast, gets the brakes and a few other things done and take it over for him too look at it and give me a firm quote on cost and time to deliver, as well as some additional things I want done.

I told him I have a lot of things I want done and since I'm not loaded, I'll have to do it in steps, Floors, rockers and cab corners one time, New Bedsides another, etc.. etc... He said he could work with that.

So, hopefully here in a few weeks or so, I'll get off my ass and get back at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8