Important PSA from another forum.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/electrical-5/turn-signal-circuit-psa-157155/

This isn’t much of a concern with squarebody trucks, they have turn signal wiring protected by a fuse. However, I’m betting there are people on here who have older trucks, or older GM products that this might be relevant. Unfortunately, it seems like trucks always have butchered tail light wiring from countless trailer light plugs. As I mentioned in the Classic Olds thread, this is a concern that probably never would have crossed my mind.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Interesting, and something one probably wouldn't think of.

I was looking into an LED bulb conversion for the truck and decided against it for other reasons. And now I have one more.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well my '87 Chevy doesn't have LEDs or HIDs, just good ol' fashioned regular-ass light bulbs so I think I'm pretty much safe...

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
I do a fair amount of automotive electrical work, and even I didn't know that!

That was a bit sketchy even for the old days, as many people back then replaced their specific load thermal flashers with a variable load one (for pulling trailers and the like). I always wondered why older variable load flashers warned you to "fuse the input lead", and this is likely why.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't like loud turn signal flashers... the ones that sound like a nail gun firing into concrete? I've always found the flashing green arrow enough to tell me that my blinker is on?

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I do a fair amount of automotive electrical work, and even I didn't know that!

That was a bit sketchy even for the old days, as many people back then replaced their specific load thermal flashers for a variable load one (for pulling trailers and the like). I always wondered why older variable load flashers warned you to "fuse the input lead", and this is likely why.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't like loud turn signal flashers... the ones that sound like a nail gun firing into concrete? I've always found the flashing green arrow enough to tell me that my blinker is on?
some vehicles is not so obvious, and are placed out of good view... my f150 does this. the switch is janky so it can be on but it just stays lit and dont blink, wiggle and it works, but the sound is helpful because I put a electronic flasher and it is louder and more punchy, so I like it. All my cars have had a rather loud one except my old 77 ltd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes