brake lights no worky!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I put the old flasher back in place,nothing changed
Before I changed the flasher, I had the left brake lights working,but not the right. Also did not have right turn signals. Once the flasher got changed, I got both turn signals working but have no brake lights,even on the left side that once was working.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I found out that the brake light issue that I have been having is due to the turn signal switch NOT returning to the neutral position after completing a turn. I have to manually push it up to the neutral postion after making LEFT turns or the brake light on the drivers side wont always work.
maybe this? press the brake pedal and wiggle the thing and work it up and down

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Before replacing the turn signal switch, try this:

Push and pull the hazard switch button several times. Sometimes that will get weird taillight problems solved. If you look at the electrical diagram for the turn signal switch, you will see there are a LOT of separate contacts that have to open and close to get the different functions to work correctly. It’s kinda amazing turnsignal switch problems aren’t more common if you think about it. Sometimes you get a little oxidation on the contacts and things don’t work the way they should.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Before replacing the turn signal switch, try this: Push and pull the hazard switch button several times. Sometimes that will get weird taillight problems solved. If you look at the electrical diagram for the turn signal switch, you will see there are a LOT of separate contacts that have to open and close to get the different functions to work correctly. It’s kinda amazing turnsignal switch problems aren’t more common if you think about it. Sometimes you get a little oxidation on the contacts and things don’t work the way they should.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Before replacing the turn signal switch, try this: Push and pull the hazard switch button several times. Sometimes that will get weird taillight problems solved. If you look at the electrical diagram for the turn signal switch, you will see there are a LOT of separate contacts that have to open and close to get the different functions to work correctly. It’s kinda amazing turnsignal switch problems aren’t more common if you think about it. Sometimes you get a little oxidation on the contacts and things don’t work the way they should.

Did it... work..?
nope!! I added some extra grounds, bed to frame, cab to frame,still no power to the brake lights. tried the wiggle on the turn signal and 4 ways, cleaned all the ground points---again!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
nope!! I added some extra grounds, bed to frame, cab to frame,still no power to the brake lights. tried the wiggle on the turn signal and 4 ways, cleaned all the ground points---again!
go to autozone and get yourself a steering wheel puller

at this point youre wasting time

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
go to autozone and get yourself a steering wheel puller

at this point youre wasting time
just ordered a new switch, gonna take to my friends shop who does this stuff for a living and let him do it. My luck I would have an even bigger headache!!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
just ordered a new switch, gonna take to my friends shop who does this stuff for a living and let him do it. My luck I would have an even bigger headache!!
Its VERY easy if you wanted to save time. Its horn cap, bolt install puller by hand, removed with hand effort. may have forgotten about a c clip in there but its all not too bad. but that works too

Can you jump the brake switch to the brake light wires to the back? Verify in the time being

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I replaced a turn signal switch in my old 72 chevy years ago, but it didn't have the tilt,locking wheel and the multi function junk to deal with!!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think the tilt may affect the part used but I dont think it was like super much more

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I think the tilt may affect the part used but I dont think it was like super much more
it was only 21.00 at LMC, and it specified with tilt wheel. NAPA and autozone didn't. all made in China these days anyway.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
success!!! got the brake lights back and everything else is working!!new turn signal switch did the trick!! Turns out the white wire on the switch side of the connection was broke and had melted down at some point. thanks again for all the info!! now on to a new master cylinder!!

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Broken wire and burnt connection!

Attachments

• 55DEBF95-2E32-4B48-A23A-8688E08D2976.jpeg