where would you mount resistors/cool them around combustibles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i post this in others vehicles because i dont know of anything you would need resistors for, and my application is a sedan for turn signals(no flasher to change, have to do load resistors)

I have 50w 6ohm resistors i need to mount, 2 in front, 4 in rear. The front are not of concern, they can be mounted such thatthey have air flow or not touching anything painted, plastic, or etc.

Rear two are the problem. to mount a load resistor, I need to get the resistors to clear the trunk lid, mount it to the raised sheet metal portions and somehow insulate it from the carpet on the Lid/cargo in trunk while also not baking it to death......
You must be registered for see images attach

this pic is generic, but the trunk lid placement for the tail light bar means nothing can sit next to the tail light for clearance and heat.

Or im gonna need to wire it in MUCH earlier in the wiring harness or run wire back to/on the rear fenders, next to where the tail light is also present on the body of the car, which is also needing resistors. (ill post pic of what i have to work with soon, i have to take pics)

I dont have a problem running a wire back, but then im putting 3 resistors on one fender, presumably close to eachother, still needing to insulate from cargo and the trunk carpet. I can imagine thats a little warm of an idea. The other would be on other side of the trunk. There is a trunk pressure/heat/liquid/etc vent that is on passenger side, so it would have periodic exhaust times, just a plastic flap.

so that leads to the overall, overreaching part. Where can I mount these to not affect plastic, rubber, carpet, cargo from burns/fire while also keeping them cool?

I dont know how much heat they would make or what they can safely mount to, but on their own they get very warm after 5 minutes of turn signal operation(they are only heating when flashing, no current when off) in 40 degree ambient, mildly windy, open in the air(literally hanging in the air) to the point i cannot hold them. I did this test to simulate the best possible conditions in ambient air(other than 40 below) with sittting in traffic trying to turn. If it cant pass thgat test, then I assuredly need to work a scenario for 105 degrees, humid, in traffic, in a trunk full of **** lol

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
On my 2010 Denali XL I added LED bulbs. My resistors are mounted under the truck on a frame cross member. My case is a little different as my wiring runs outside of the vehicle. It's dark out, but if you want some pictures I can take them tomorrow.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
On my 2010 Denali XL I added LED bulbs. My resistors are mounted under the truck on a frame cross member. My case is a little different as my wiring runs outside of the vehicle. It's dark out, but if you want some pictures I can take them tomorrow.
I never thought of external wiring... this might not be a bad idea. I have the trunk vent i could use to leave the car bay with, and I have a lot of area in the underbody that just gets dirt and debris, i could find a way to mount under and if i make water tight connections and perhaps a direct baffle from direct shots, i wouldnt have to worry about the car wash or water.. but maybe salt.. unless you have an insulated box or you found a way to craddle it on your frame rail. Could I see? Not a bad idea.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I thought they made flashers for LED lights so you wouldn't have to install load resistors. I did a little googling and found this video. According to the video, this flasher will work with both LED and standard bulbs....even a mix of them. Just a thought.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Sorry for the delay on this. The stupid power company did one of their power shut off for the past few days, so no internet.

Here's one of my resistors in the L/R of the truck. We don't have salt issues here. There is a small OEM inner mud flap to prevents direct spray, but I'm sure it gets its fair share. I did make sure to mount it high enough, so I doesn't get water logged when I launch my boat. I've had this set up for about 3 years with no issues.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I could do something like that with my rear receiver, i think. still means running the wire lol

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Do the wires not come thru the fire wall on their journey to the rear of the car?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Do the wires not come thru the fire wall on their journey to the rear of the car?
The wires come through the middle of the back seat on the floor and run along the driver side to the quarter panel(fixed lamps) and along the hinge for the trunk(non-fixed lamps) while a wire for the other side split off at the center where it entered and runs the other quarter panel lamp. To run the resistors to the receiver i would need to run wires for the resistor all the way under the car which wouldnt be diffficult but would require at worst about 4 feet or so for one resistor

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128