Ignition switch r&r

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well I need to replace my ignition lock cylinder and other than pulling the steering wheel I don't have too much of a clue what I'm doing. So if anybody could help me out a little and tell me what all is involved that'd be appreciated. As always any and all input is appreciated.

Last edited:

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I forgot to mention I also need to replace my turn signal return springs while I'm in the column.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I really should get an account on that forum they have a lot of great write ups. Anyways thanks I appreciate that.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I keep that one on my favorites. I have to do that one of these days. Not looking forward to it though. Hope it goes well for you.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
look under suspension steering and brakes in this forum. Its a sticky and gives step by step instructions on taking apart the column all the way to the bolts that loosen up. After doing that replacing a lock cylinder is a walk in the park.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Here is another option - check with your local junkyards.

Most of them will sell you a complete column from the steering wheel down to the flexible coupling (rag joint) for a very reasonable price. I don't think I have ever paid more than $75 and that one was a tilt column with a tight lock cylinder (and matching keys).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast