Ideal/temporary option to fill holes in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

short

Reaction score
First Name
eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban k10
Engine Size
I plan on removing the driver/passenger mirrors on my suburban, and replacing them with tow mirrors, and I will also be removing the metal trim that is located right below the rear lights. I want to know what would the best option be to fill in the holes that will remain after I remove everything(im assuming welding would be but dont know for sure), what would be a temporary option, and would it be necessary to get the holes filled in right away?

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Welding would be best, but you'll need to repaint the doors, or at least blend the patches in. For a temporary fix get some machine screws with a low profile head like a truss head and paint them body color and cover the holes. Maybe add a dab of caulk to seal it.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I've used those plastic wheel well holders before with a dab of caulking behind them to seal. They last about a year but get brittle in the sun. They lay nice and flat and come in all sorts of sizes.
You must be registered for see images attach

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
I use the clips to fill the license plate holes on painted bumpers and use touch up paint to match. On chrome I’ll use chrome button heads

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Paint the edges of the sheet metal and then use any number of push in clips.
The plastic push darts are a good idea. Bonus points if you paint them to match.
Won’t hurt anything to leave the holes open though. I’d still touch up paint the edges though.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I plan on removing the driver/passenger mirrors on my suburban, and replacing them with tow mirrors, and I will also be removing the metal trim that is located right below the rear lights. I want to know what would the best option be to fill in the holes that will remain after I remove everything(im assuming welding would be but dont know for sure), what would be a temporary option, and would it be necessary to get the holes filled in right away?

I did a rear wiper delete on my Tahoe and covered the holes with these and they been there for 3 years now. Ghetto, but very functional as a temp patch.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you are talking about the 3 holes left behind for the Dumbo mirrors...I've seen some triangle plates for sale occasionally in different catalogs in chrome and white.

short

Reaction score
First Name
eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban k10
Engine Size
Welding would be best, but you'll need to repaint the doors, or at least blend the patches in. For a temporary fix get some machine screws with a low profile head like a truss head and paint them body color and cover the holes. Maybe add a dab of caulk to seal it.
Thanks for the response. My truck needs a paint job done, so it seems like it would be best to get the welding and paint done at the same time. Since I'd be taking the truck in to get the welding done, is there anything I should know about since I don't any welding knowledge?

Last edited:

short

Reaction score
First Name
eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban k10
Engine Size
when i took my dumbo's off, i temp used some small chrome bumper bolts
Thanks for the reponse. Off topic to this thread, but when trimming the fenders, did you do anything to stabilize them before putting the flares on? I want to trim mine, but I don't plan on adding flares. It would strictly be to add larger wheels. I've noticed that once they've been trimmed, they lose the stability due to no longer being attached to the fender well

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
when i took my dumbo's off, i temp used some small chrome bumper bolts
I love this truck and camper.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
Thanks for the reponse. Off topic to this thread, but when trimming the fenders, did you do anything to stabilize them before putting the flares on? I want to trim mine, but I don't plan on adding flares. It would strictly be to add larger wheels. I've noticed that once they've been trimmed, they lose the stability due to no longer being attached to the fender well
fronts were fine, inner fenders hold them
used the stock rear braces, turned them around and bolted them further up the fender, also made some fender braces for behind the rear wheels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macdiesel86420