I need a timing light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I don't mind spending money for something I am going to use a lot, but I don' plan on putting a lot of miles on my squares.
I understand I bought that when I was at the dealership many moons ago. I wanna s say 20+ lol

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Got a cheapo chrome Sears somewhere around here....
I still have the one I bought back in the 70's, it's so beat up it's a wonder it still works, but it does just like it did when it was new, lol..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I still have the one I bought back in the 70's, it's so beat up it's a wonder it still works, but it does just like it did when it was new, lol..

I have a Sears light my dad bought back in the early 70's. I've tried to take care of it and it still works fine. Even still have the original box.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a Sears light my dad bought back in the early 70's. I've tried to take care of it and it still works fine. Even still have the original box.
That is cool keep it that way, it's a classic, lol.. Now I just use mine as a backup if I have to, bought a Summit dial back about 10yrs ago, so far it's been working great..

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
About 50 bucks on eBay. Thing i liked was that the cord disconnected. I replaced a couple, after wrapping/chopping them up in spinning fans.... Lol. Little safer that way too.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
About 50 bucks on eBay. Thing i liked was that the cord disconnected. I replaced a couple, after wrapping/chopping them up in spinning fans.... Lol. Little safer that way too.
Yeah, I've destroyed my share of them too, lol, and replaced sections, I liked when they came out with the coiled cords though, helps keeping it away from moving objects..

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I just recently bought a timing light from Amazon as the one I inherited didnt work when I went to use it. It cost me $35 and has good ratings on Amazon. I opted for cheap because of the budget I was trying to keep myself under with the job. There are way better, and there are worse. This one did the job I needed which was just setting base timing.

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3551-..._4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1517835549&sr=1-4

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, I've destroyed my share of them too, lol, and replaced sections, I liked when they came out with the coiled cords though, helps keeping it away from moving objects..
I never had a coiled one. That probably would have helped me a lot. I eventually learned to just not put the cord in the spinning fan, or on the hot exhaust. That worked the best.... Lol

Geeze, those ones like Honkeys are still running ~150 bucks used. Great lights though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I never had a coiled one. That probably would have helped me a lot. I eventually learned to just not put the cord in the spinning fan, or on the hot exhaust. That worked the best.... Lol

Geeze, those ones like Honkeys are still running ~150 bucks used. Great lights though.
But it comes in a nice storage case that doesn’t fit in most drawers. Lol

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
But it comes in a nice storage case that doesn’t fit in most drawers. Lol
Not to mention, it takes up twice as much space, when its not put back in the case. (Like all of my crap around here....) Lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Not to mention, it takes up twice as much space, when its not put back in the case. (Like all of my crap around here....) Lol
Lol I accually try to keep it in its case. I’m accustomed to it and don’t want to have to buy another.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Lol I accually try to keep it in its case. I’m accustomed to it and don’t want to have to buy another.
Ah, yeah. 3- 1/2 torque wrench cases. All empty. One downstairs. One in my truck, and one somewhere over there in the garage. BTW- I found my timing light!
You must be registered for see images attach

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies.

The 7529 has a tach, but is twice the price. Never had a tach on a timing light before, I suppose it would be handy, but not sure how much I would use it.

Here's a complete list of the F&B of both models:

7527:
Conventional, electronic, computer controlled ignition systems
  • DIS and 2 cycle systems
  • On/off touch control
  • All metal inductive pickup
  • Super bright Xenon flash
  • One-touch control
  • Durable, plated ABS housing
  • Heat resistant over molding on battery clips
  • Detailed instruction manual included
  • One year warranty