I need a timing light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here's a complete list of the F&B of both models
In addition to the tach, it has adjustable advance, never had that on a timing light before, is it something that you use very often?

I've never been one that tweaks an engine much, just do a basic tune up, set the timing to factory spec.

I could probably live without the flashlight function, although I can see where that might come in handy from time to time.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
In addition to the tach, it has adjustable advance, never had that on a timing light before, is it something that you use very often?

I've never been one that tweaks an engine much, just do a basic tune up, set the timing to factory spec.

I could probably live without the flashlight function, although I can see where that might come in handy from time to time.
The adjustable advance is nice. Set the light and move the pointer to zero. Done, none of that pesky thing to find 8 degrees on the timing tab ****. Lol

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I'm far from an expert in running one of these. The flashlight came in really handy when I was checking base timing on my TBI engine...in the dark. I would use the adjustable advance if necessary, but on this particular application base timing is zero.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm far from an expert in running one of these. The flashlight came in really handy when I was checking base timing on my TBI engine...in the dark. I would use the adjustable advance if necessary, but on this particular application base timing is zero.

They call for zero, but they are much happier in the 8-12 range. A little more pep and mpg too.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I just recently bought a timing light from Amazon as the one I inherited didnt work when I went to use it. It cost me $35 and has good ratings on Amazon. I opted for cheap because of the budget I was trying to keep myself under with the job. There are way better, and there are worse. This one did the job I needed which was just setting base timing.

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3551-..._4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1517835549&sr=1-4
I've had good luck with the innova tools. Cheap, but they seem to last long and work well. I haven't had one fail yet. But I also treat my tools with respect... lol my money makers!

They call for zero, but they are much happier in the 8-12 range. A little more pep and mpg too.

I totally agree. A much more responsive accelerator pedal, it seems like.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I've had good luck with the innova tools. Cheap, but they seem to last long and work well. I haven't had one fail yet. But I also treat my tools with respect... lol my money makers!

Doesnt matter if its cheap as long as it does the job. I have a set of Pittsburgh impact sockets and extensions, I treat them like I treat my craftsman and snap on.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Doesnt matter if its cheap as long as it does the job. I have a set of Pittsburgh impact sockets and extensions, I treat them like I treat my craftsman and snap on.

It may not matter too much on hard tools such as sockets or ratchets, but it does matter on measuring or precision tools, such as torque spec, scanner, calibration... you don't want to under or over adjust things. Too cheap and your wheels are flying off while driving down the highway or replacing parts due to inaccuracy of measurements

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It may not matter too much on hard tools such as sockets or ratchets, but it does matter on measuring or precision tools, such as torque spec, scanner, calibration... you don't want to under or over adjust things. Too cheap and your wheels are flying off while driving down the highway or replacing parts due to inaccuracy of measurements
X infinity +1

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you all talking 8-12 on a TBI or a small block in general?

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
so you put them in a drawer and dust them off and if even one scratch in the snap on you freak out lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
so you put them in a drawer and dust them off and if even one scratch in the snap on you freak out lol
I doubt it. I use my stuff like it was intended to be used as I’m sure @Crispy does too. I didn’t buy tools for almost 30 years to have them sit there and look pretty.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
If my tools dont have a few battle scars that means I havent used them enough. Although with Snap On prices i see why people by rubber protectors for their tools lol.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I doubt it. I use my stuff like it was intended to be used as I’m sure @Crispy does too. I didn’t buy tools for almost 30 years to have them sit there and look pretty.
If my tools dont have a few battle scars that means I havent used them enough. Although with Snap On prices i see why people by rubber protectors for their tools lol.
I would love to say i take care of my tools but i have welded sockets back together and one wrench (I know it is a bad idea but when you need a tool right at the moment you do what you gotta do to finish to job the way i look at it i can always buy more and in the case of my snap on stuff the snap on truck replaces tools for free

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

The older ones with the glossy finish or the newer dull finish? I've got the older style and they have held up supurb over the years. They have been downright impressive, especially considering they were only 20 bucks for the set.

Are you all talking 8-12 on a TBI or a small block in general?

TBI. They love timing, but going over 12* requires premium fuel. Sometimes around 10* in a hard working truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blazermaniac