I might be in trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C30

Reaction score
First Name
Jamison
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Correct I'm pulling the motor this weekend but say the motor is rebuild able what's more reliable? Rebuild a motor or find another?

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Well if your block is in reusable condition save money and time and use it... but it might well be ruined. If you get another used engine it's gamble... might last forever might not. New 454 crate engines are pricey, so probably not an option.

Last edited:

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Rebuild is just as reliable if not more so because you know how it's built. I rebuilt my 350 7 years ago after it spun a bearing and I flog the hell out of it. 3 different cams, 2 different types of heads but same bottom end, still strong.

If the block is ruined go to the junk yards and pull a complete 454. Even in my neck of the woods the local yard has at least two 454 trucks out there in the mud. Tear it down and rebuild it the way you want

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
If you can reuse the block and get the rods reconditioned then rebuild it yourself. The advantage to rebuilding it yourself is that you know exactly what brand parts are going into that engine. After it is done and someone asks you about it you tell them exactly what is in it. You will be glad that you rebuilt it yourself - pride and all.

78C30

Reaction score
First Name
Jamison
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well I tore apart the block after I pulled the motor and I found that first 2 rod bearings went then after that I spun all 3 middle crank bearings then after that I broke my crankshaft in 2 places I just bought a motor that was freshly rebuilt along with transmission that has been rebuilt going to pick up this weekend the block couldn't be machines to fix the main bearings as the tolerances exceeded .050 out of spec

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Oh crap. That just sucks on so many levels. Well now you know what happened with the old motor. It sounds like a good plane for the new one though.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Cool any pics I love pics of carnage

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Wow, I guess you did have an oiling issue after all. Sucks to wreck a motor! Sorry to hear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rotti_rancher