I cant get my new engine to run smooth. Seems untunable.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
the kits are cheap. A decent mech should be able to do it at home. Might not be as purty, but should work fine.
The throttle shaft bushings are easy. Just take your time.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The last time I rebuilt a quadrajet and needed shaft bushings, I believe I made my own kit with bushings I found at Tractor Supply and 2 standard sized drill bits. It wasn't that big of a deal or very expensive.

When chasing a vacuum leak that is next to impossible to locate, see if somebody local has a "emissions smoke machine" that can check your engine for you. This is the easiest way to determine bad lower intake manifold port gaskets. You can also make one reasonably cheap from videos on YT

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
All my interwebz buddies have that cool stuff. They're just spread all over the country!

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All my interwebz buddies have that cool stuff. They're just spread all over the country!
I saw one set up they used a cheap cigar, it's not rocket science but really the only way your going to find a leak like that

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
between 3-5 hundred bucks. That's dipped, bushed, jetted and adjusted to your application, refinished and looking like new.
If I had to do it again, I'd send it off over getting a new carb or doing it myself. What I've seen to rebuild one perfectly, would be (to me) the same as learning how to weld or almost as bad as rebuilding a transmission lol.

nothing meant, just a skill/time/value thing.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
the kits are cheap. A decent mech should be able to do it at home. Might not be as purty, but should work fine.
The throttle shaft bushings are easy. Just take your time.
Im not afraid of doing a rebuild myself, habe done light rebuilds before. Not too bad, i like that sorta thing. Will end up doing tha someday if i have the time..

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The last time I rebuilt a quadrajet and needed shaft bushings, I believe I made my own kit with bushings I found at Tractor Supply and 2 standard sized drill bits. It wasn't that big of a deal or very expensive.

When chasing a vacuum leak that is next to impossible to locate, see if somebody local has a "emissions smoke machine" that can check your engine for you. This is the easiest way to determine bad lower intake manifold port gaskets. You can also make one reasonably cheap from videos on YT
They’re actually pretty cheap online. My BIL got one to find an evap leak on his Toyota. I help him with car stuff all the time so he gave it to me. I want to say it was under $100. Worked great.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8

It's not the manifold, it runs great now with a new carb.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
They’re actually pretty cheap online. My BIL got one to find an evap leak on his Toyota. I help him with car stuff all the time so he gave it to me. I want to say it was under $100. Worked great.
I read this on a different forum haven't had need so haven't tried it. Cap the intake put your shop vacuum exhaust hose in the tailpipe and pack a rag around it. Turn your shop vac on and start spraying everything with soapy water,just like looking for a tire leak.

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
What is your vacuum reading?
That tells the tale.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yes, ive moved it around, seems happiest by ear right there. Wants to die if you either direction. Can chek the timing when its reving high, but if you hold the coke butterfly down a little, you can get it to idle down 700-800 for a few seconds before it dies, and it looks like its still set to about 10-12° which is where i had it set when it was on the stand.

I put the engine in with a chain bolted to the back of the passnger side head and front of the drivers side head, and a safety strap around the pan, why?
Wants to die if you  what either direction?

Runs great with a new carb but still idles crazy?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Wants to die if you  what either direction?

Runs great with a new carb but still idles crazy?
If i turned the cap either direction. Advance or retard..

But no worries, it runs great now. Turned out to be a massive vacuum leak threw a super sloppy throttle shaft bushing on the Qjet i had on there..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat