I broke my new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juan Cano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench Crate
Dude that sucks. You can thank someone not named Juan cano for that!
You’re right, just get a new wiring harness. I wouldn’t put in a junkyard harness if I had a choice.
Then you can brag to everyone at work that you just re wired your whole truck!
Ordered from LMC Truck the turn signal and the windshield wiper switch as they both had shorts. Got a new wiper switch too because for some reason the cruise control cable was cutoff on the one that came with this truck but the cable is still there and connected and the whole thing is still wired. Ordered an OEM steering housing from Ebay as this one is cracked.

BTW, LMC shipping is $29.95! And they take days to ship! The EBay housing is here already and was free shipping. Whatever.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Ordered from LMC Truck the turn signal and the windshield wiper switch as they both had shorts. Got a new wiper switch too because for some reason the cruise control cable was cutoff on the one that came with this truck but the cable is still there and connected and the whole thing is still wired. Ordered an OEM steering housing from Ebay as this one is cracked.

BTW, LMC shipping is $29.95! And they take days to ship! The EBay housing is here already and was free shipping. Whatever.

Yeah - that shift indicator I ordered from LMC costs 8 bux to ship.

I have to assume LMC is making a bit of money on that, too ...

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Yup!
What I've found is that (no surprise), these classic car part outfits ain't no Amazon or Summit Racing when it comes to cost. Most folks who are buying parts from them are buying parts for a project or hobby with disposable income, not brake pads for a 2001 Corolla to get to work tomorrow.
With a little searching or experience, some do have some "sales" or free shipping offers sometimes. I found deals around black Friday last year and bought stuff I still am not ready to install...
The fact that most all parts are readily available for 30-50 year old vehicles and that the prices for the parts themselves are generally still very reasonable begets a little give on the 21st century expectation of ships today and free shipping that we've all become used to. Note, their return policies, at least the Truck Shop, are not like Costco or Amazon either!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Or to put it succinctly, if one is driving a squarebody or any OLD vehicle out of necessity, then shopping at LMC is like taking your WIC card into Whole Foods or Trader Joes instead of Walmart or Grocery Outlet for groceries. And Vato Zone, junkyards, and guys parting out these trucks are where one should be shopping.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Or to put it succinctly, if one is driving a squarebody or any OLD vehicle out of necessity, then shopping at LMC is like taking your WIC card into Whole Foods or Trader Joes instead of Walmart or Grocery Outlet for groceries. And Vato Zone, junkyards, and guys parting out these trucks are where one should be shopping.
"Vato zone" :happy175:

Juan Cano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench Crate
Digging into the wiring now; waiting for the LMC switch connector which should arrive tonight. The orange power (I think it's power) that goes to the little brake pedal switch and then it's part of the fat wire loom that goes above the steering wheel and into the fuse box is fried in a bunch of places. I have replacement wire. How the BLEEP do I get the terminal out of the fuse box?? I also have to find and order that type of bare terminal. This is where there is a 30AMP switch on mine.

Do I need to find one of those fancy terminal removal tools? I find my Advance AutoParts is lacking on variety when it comes to electric supplies. Maybe NAPA has more? Or AutoZone?

Thanks!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Juan Cano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench Crate
I don't know why I have a 30AMP fuse there when the spot says 15AMP. Maybe it doesn't matter? Maybe because of added wiring at some point.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Switch pigtails? Do you mean I but a blinker arm and horn/ignition setup and will come with everything?
The turn signal switch comes with all that wire I believe as well. That's what he was saying. You get shorts in those 5hibgs and causes all kinds of wonky stuff. Been there done that with a buddies s15 about 20 years ago.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't know why I have a 30AMP fuse there when the spot says 15AMP. Maybe it doesn't matter? Maybe because of added wiring at some point.
Someone bout a 30 cause 15 and probably 20 kept popping. They went higher so it would work till it melted the wire down and duesed it with other items. Now you have it . Exactly what that s15 did

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yup!
What I've found is that (no surprise), these classic car part outfits ain't no Amazon or Summit Racing when it comes to cost. Most folks who are buying parts from them are buying parts for a project or hobby with disposable income, not brake pads for a 2001 Corolla to get to work tomorrow.
With a little searching or experience, some do have some "sales" or free shipping offers sometimes. I found deals around black Friday last year and bought stuff I still am not ready to install...
The fact that most all parts are readily available for 30-50 year old vehicles and that the prices for the parts themselves are generally still very reasonable begets a little give on the 21st century expectation of ships today and free shipping that we've all become used to. Note, their return policies, at least the Truck Shop, are not like Costco or Amazon either!
Are things like turn signal switch and others not available at Rock Auto or advance or O'Riley's? I know it was 20 years ago when I worked in a parts store but all these things were available in the store then for not much money.

Juan Cano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench Crate
Are things like turn signal switch and others not available at Rock Auto or advance or O'Riley's? I know it was 20 years ago when I worked in a parts store but all these things were available in the store then for not much money.
Not that I found. I've bought parts from 6 different places to get all this: LMC for the wiring switches, Sherco for wires in the right colors; Ebay for a column housing (which I may not use, it's a little different); Repair Connector for bare terminals that fit into switches; CJ Pony for bearings and steering spacer; and Amazon for a depining tool, crimper and more bare terminals. #scavengerhunt

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not that I found. I've bought parts from 6 different places to get all this: LMC for the wiring switches, Sherco for wires in the right colors; Ebay for a column housing (which I may not use, it's a little different); Repair Connector for bare terminals that fit into switches; CJ Pony for bearings and steering spacer; and Amazon for a depining tool, crimper and more bare terminals. #scavengerhunt
This seems crazy to me. A switch that literally fits millions of vehicles on the road!!! Not on the shelf or even being able to ship to store

Juan Cano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench Crate
This seems crazy to me. A switch that literally fits millions of vehicles on the road!!! Not on the shelf or even being able to ship to store
Well, maybe if I went to my local shop I could’ve had them look it up and probably they could’ve ordered it. Sometimes at the store they don’t know that well and then I don’t know if they ordered the righ thing.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, maybe if I went to my local shop I could’ve had them look it up and probably they could’ve ordered it. Sometimes at the store they don’t know that well and then I don’t know if they ordered the righ thing.
Yep your correct on that!! I worked at a big name parts place 20 years ago. We had computers then but we also had books...some of the last years of useing books when the computer was too stupid to know I guess. We had some folks that didn't know how to really use the computer, some that would ask every stupid question it prompts you with also. And to this day I know the folks who don't know that much. These are the guys or girls who ask you does your truck have AC when you tell them you want valve cover gaskets for a 80 k10. I'm like that doesn't matter but yes it has AC ! Then they ask about power steering!!!:eek:o_O. It asks those questions so that it can query the belts so that if you need a PS belt it knows, or if you need AC parts what to list. But I have already said I need VC gaskets. Just got enter on the choice no matter what it is, that selection makes ZERO difference to that part. Or brakes for example. AC and PS make so difference, but 1/2 or 3/4 ton does, so does the axle etc or 4wd...but of I said k10 I already told you 4wd that's a way to know if they really know there old chebbies right off the bat.

I tried to not ask those questions, sometimes you get into he routine and do but normally I caught myself. Anyway. I guess my point is yes there a lot of people that don't have a clue what there doing!

Juan Cano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench Crate
Update! I got the new horn and blinker wiring from LMC Trucks, and I also repaired a power orange wire that went to the fuse box. Now I am putting all together again and I am stuck in two places:

1) The ignition lock when I install it, has no spring feel to it. I see how it works there's this round black plastic thing with teeth that engages this other long silver thing with teeth. How is it supposed to go so the spring is 'engaged'? I am following common sense but done it like 4 times and each time the ignition has no spring feel to it.
2) And haven't gotten to this part yet but, how do you put the ring that you remove from the shaft? The one that is a PITA to remove. I saw a video and the guy seemed to have like a reverse steering wheel puller and he cranked it all in. What is that called?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS