I bought a 1984 and don’t know what to do???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
The carburetor vs TBI debate has been going on since TBI was introduced. A properly tuned Q jet that's optimized for the engine it sits on will provide plenty of power and relatively good mpg. With an electric choke, start up is pretty straightforward, albeit still not as refined as TBI.

Commercial core rebuilds and Q jets set up for a different engine are going to give you many headaches. Spend money on a proper rebuild or the proper carburetor for your engine size, if you want to stay with a carb. I've had good luck Edelbrock/Carter setups in the past, though they are primitive compared to the Quadrajet. I got a Edelbrock 1406 sitting on a 305 right now because I didn't want to wait on a Q Jet to get built. So far I have no complaints; but if I replace it, a Q jet is going in its place.

Last edited:

618Syndicate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Duramax
It's okay to not know how to tune a carburetor.

Some of the rest of us are driving carbureted trucks that start easily when cold and don't flood when hot... without bogging, stumbling, stalling, or loading up. Cruising, working, climbing, off roading, towing. My truck can be hopped in and driven by someone who's never set foot in an older vehicle, and other than having to depress the accelerator to set the choke when it's cold, they can drop it in gear as soon as the engine fires and treat it like they would a fuel injected vehicle from there. And I'm pretty fond of sound of the secondaries opening on a Q-jet.

A lot of the "half ton" trucks got stupid tall final drive ratios circa 1981-forward, so many would be capable of of 100mph+ without stressing anything (though wind resistance usually limits your speed to around 100mph and often less. I don't think I'd want to trade my 700R4 for a THM350 or 400 though, as the extra gear does make the truck more versatile.
I mean, I don't know how to saddle or shoe a horse either, because technology...
I totally get that some folks like carbs more, but I'm old enough to have been driving when automakers transitioned over to injection from carbs and it's superior in every way.
Regarding your claim about 100 mph these trucks aren't happy at 80+ without serious mods irrespective of gearing. Sure, maybe you get it to touch 100 (I have my doubts but I'll play along) but they're spinning the motors way out of their comfort zone with a 1:1 final in the transmission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've had carbureted squarebodies over 100 with nothing more than an average built up 350 and turbo 350. And in regards to spinning them way out of their comfort zone that depends on your gearing. I'm not going to do the math I'm just going to approximate a 2.41 gear at 1.1 is probably like a 3.42 in over drive, same final gear ratio. Some of these carbureted non overdrive squares were built when the speed limit was 75mph and everyone was driving them at 85 mph.Without straining them. I'm not anti overdrive and not anti fuel injection,but everything doesn't have to have them. Theres a reason my 85 is still sbc,th350,with a qjet. It suits my needs best this way.

Last edited:

618Syndicate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Duramax
Some of these carbureted non overdrive squares were built when the speed limit was 75mph
A very small percentage. Federal 55 speed limit was in place from 1974-1987.

Regardless, I understand what you and others are saying, I just don't agree. Ultimately the op is gonna do what he's gonna do, he sought opinions and I gave him mine.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If we are going to go with technology makes everything better. We all need to throw out the gas engines and use tesla power plants,they are better in everyway. My carbureted th350 square,is better than any other combination I can think of for my needs. That doesn't mean it's better for everyone's needs. There is a reason I don't have a newer truck,it doesn't suit my needs like my carbureated small block th350 square. As for injection being better in everyway,not true,most ways, but not for my needs. Overdrive, better in many ways,but not better in mine. Everyone doesn't need fuel injection and overdrive,most do,but not all.. he!! I,ve got a injected, O.D. V8 F150,I don't even need to swap anything to have injection and O.D. but it doesn't suit my needs like my carbureted square. And for the O.P. if he's going to do some light mudding. Once a year and drive it to the store on the weekends he doesn't need to aggravate his life and drain his pocket book for something that really in that situation wouldn't be much if any better. You don't need a bazooka to hunt squirrels.

Last edited:

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It looks like a solid start. All I'd do with it is put headlight bezels on, get it running good, fix any leaks, and make sure the AC blows cold. If you can achieve everything I just listed, you already have a better square body than a lot of people.

As for engine swaps, I'd keep that 305 running for as long as possible, it'll do everything a 1/2 ton truck needs to do. If you insist on a swap, a 5.7 Vortec would be the easiest "modern" option since it's based on the old school small block architecture and pretty much bolts in. A LS swap is far more involved and difficult, but it has been done many times.

Pay attention to your steering and front end components when installing a lift kit, it's easy to end up with a wobbly mess if you don't adjust things correctly or use the wrong parts.
I love my 84 C10 with 305 & 2:73, 700r4. I just got through hauling a half pallet of grass for my son. Had no problem at all

Attachments

• 8A32F275-3B7C-4C51-910D-EA2ED464BE1D.jpeg
    8A32F275-3B7C-4C51-910D-EA2ED464BE1D.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey