hydroboost problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
My powersteering pump started wining yesterday and sure enough I lost power steering today. So I installed a HD powersteering pump, inline filter and cooler. bleed it out and started it up and bam still no power steering

Could my hydroboost system be bad, is there any way to test the system?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I can't think of any way a bad hydroboost would prevent power steering, you would just have braking issues. The inline filter is a suspect but bad reman pumps are common, I'm willing to bet that's your issue. I went through a few Vato Zone pumps before getting fed up and paying for a high dollar PSC pump.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do you have power assist for the brakes? If so, you might have a bad steering box.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
What ive just discovered is my brand new HD pump from summit is not pumping fluid, I know this because I disconnected the pressure line at the hydro and its bone dry WTF

truck has a 12v cummins in it

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Did you try bleeding the pump? With the truck not running and the front end jacked up, rotate the steering wheel back and forth, going from lock to lock. Top off the fluid, then do the same thing but with the truck running. You might have power steering after that.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
So I installed a HD powersteering pump, inline filter and cooler.

Was the cooler a new installation (i.e. a modification to the stock system) or did you just replace what was already there?

If it was a modification where did you insert it? Not where it's physically mounted. But rather, it's location in a schematic sense?

Here is an image showing the proper plumbing and flow directions of a PS/hydroboost set-up with a cooler and filter:

You must be registered for see images attach

And here is the bleeding procedure for a complete new installation of a P/S pump, cooler and filter (ignore the steps that don't apply to diesels). Note the trick at the bottom.

BTW: I do the bleeding like Bucket suggests - with the front end raised off the floor:

Bleeding the Hydraulic System

1. Fill the power steering pump reservoir to the top.

WARNING: DO NOT START THE ENGINE AT THIS TIME!

2. Remove the coil wire and crank the engine for several revolutions..

3. Turn wheels from stop to stop TWICE

4. Check the fluid level in the reservoir and add if necessary.

5. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until fluid level does not drop.

6. Replace coil wire and start engine.

7. Turn off engine and depress brake pedal 4 or 5 times to relieve accumulator pressure.

8. Check fluid level and add as necessary.

9. Start engine and turn wheels from stop to stop.

10. Turn off engine and depress brake pedal 4 or 5 times to relieve accumulator pressure.

11. Check fluid level and add as necessary.

WARNING: IF AT ANY TIME THE PUMP GROWLS OR FOAMING OCCURS IN THE FLUID, TURN OFF ENGINE, WAIT FOR 1 HOUR AND CHECK FLUID LEVEL ADDING AS NECESSARY.

If continued bleeding does not work, fill power steering pump reservoir to top, start engine, and watch fluid level in reservoir. On occasion, the system will draw the fluid down to a point where it is sucking air. If this happens, install a piece of clean new 1 1/2” diameter x 12” - 18” long radiator hose to the neck of the power steering pump reservoir with a hose clamp. Fill the hose about half full, and restart the engine. The hose will in essence increase the capacity of the reservoir and keep the system from taking on air. After all the air is bled out of the system, remove the hose.

Last edited:

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
when I bled it I had it on jackstands, with the pitman arm removed. It shouldn't matter?

the cooler goes from steering box to cooler to the return on the pump

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Are you getting any foaming or air bubbles in the P/S pump reservoir when you stroke the steering stop to stop (with the engine running)?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
None, I just bought a new PS pump and will give feedback

Bruce JOnes

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
86/97
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummings 1st gen
steering issues

Ok I am new to the group so if I do something wrong I am sorry. I need help with a custom job I am working on. First we have an 86 suburban chassie with a 97 suburban body with a first generation cummings 6cyl. I had to jack the suspension way up to get cummings into it. the front axle is tilted down just a slight bit to keep yolk from hitting bottom of oil pan. this in turn throws the steering knuckles off to a tilt. My problem is in my steering, I have lost 3 boxs and 2 times the bolts that attach steering arm to knuckle. I have checked for any type of tension in all of steering linkage but dont have any. Is there any ideas or has anyone else had similar problems? How do I fix this please. I have seen in some other trucks they have put blocks under front springs and between axle to give more lift so yolk will clear. will this work maybe. I am at a loss. Thank you in advance

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Bruce I replied on your thread. Mark the reason the pump started to whine is because it was low on fluid because of a leak. did you fix the leak? highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lepak