HVAC Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveLNew

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1986 GMC
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7 LS1
I have searched through the threads and haven't found anything in this forum, so excuse me if this has been posted someone where prior.

Is it necessary to have the vacuum canister to run the HVAC system or can I just hook it up straight to a vacuum source off the intake?

Also why is this so hard to find? Can someone point me in the right direction?
If my truck doesn't currently have AC is it even necessary?

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have searched through the threads and haven't found anything in this forum, so excuse me if this has been posted someone where prior.

Is it necessary to have the vacuum canister to run the HVAC system or can I just hook it up straight to a vacuum source off the intake?

Also why is this so hard to find? Can someone point me in the right direction?
If my truck doesn't currently have AC is it even necessary?

Thanks

when you run low on vacuum your system no longer is pulling the things like it was or whatever so the position of a door may change and also theh controls that require vac to move would be very ineffective unless under idle, or a good coast id think. so youd have to time movements to that assuming it doesnt like play with your actuators in real time

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Aurora girl is correct. If you punch the accelerator, you will lose vacuum in the system and the blend doors will open or close due to the loss of vacuum. The black ball by the brake booster is a reservoir to prevent that.

The part you have circled would have to come from a junk yard. They can get pretty brittle.

Here's some of the diagrams I have saved over the years. In the third diagram, disregard the upper left part of the diagram, it's for a fuel injected engine.

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Mine was missing this canister so I made one out of a stainless float (similar to a toilet tank float) from the scrap bin at work. Welded a hose barb on it, and got a check valve Tee fitting from Vatozone. It worked beautifully. I could hold full throttle as long as needed/wanted and the air kept coming out of the dash vents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes