How to tell roller cam or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
10 to 10.5 to 1
I have 96 cc big oval and a nice dome, as you and a MLS head gasket and according to the math by some one way smarter then me on that stuff, I should be at 10.5:1. Mine is only a baby 407 though.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
I know that I must use top premium gas for it to run like a top. Ran out of gas once with it and the only place within walking was a 7-11 with only regular unleaded and it ran like a total dog (spitting, sputtering and choking all the way) until I limped it to the closest place that had premium. Luckily I had only put 2 gallons of reg in it so it diluted it down when I topped the tank off
It likes the octane booster too. Next chance I get when it's not freezing outside I'll test the compression.
I have 96 cc big oval and a nice dome, as you and a MLS head gasket and according to the math by some one way smarter then me on that stuff, I should be at 10.5:1. Mine is only a baby 407 though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I know that I must use top premium gas for it to run like a top. Ran out of gas once with it and the only place within walking was a 7-11 with only regular unleaded and it ran like a total dog (spitting, sputtering and choking all the way) until I limped it to the closest place that had premium. Luckily I had only put 2 gallons of reg in it so it diluted it down when I topped the tank off
It likes the octane booster too. Next chance I get when it's not freezing outside I'll test the compression.
I run mine on a mix of 93 and 110 or 116 it likes a lot of timing and I run it all in. The videos of it running have always been with the times my knocked way back and on 93. It’s a way different animal at 38 + degrees of all in timing.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
IIRC mine is set near 32 degrees, anything less it starts doing the shudders. I kind of thought that was excessive but it seems to like it best there.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
IIRC mine is set near 32 degrees, anything less it starts doing the shudders. I kind of thought that was excessive but it seems to like it best there.
Big blocks love timing

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Is that all in or progressive?

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
There you go asking me about things that are very confusing to me, LOL When it was on the engine stand ran best at around 32 degrees, once I put it in the square tweeked it a bit and haven't messed with it since. All the different types of timing are very confusing to me so I just went with what seemed to work best. As I have said before this was my first build and spent months researching this and that but still the timing thing throws me! Pass the Tide pods and Clorox bleach please. LOL

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
There you go asking me about things that are very confusing to me, LOL When it was on the engine stand ran best at around 32 degrees, once I put it in the square tweeked it a bit and haven't messed with it since. All the different types of timing are very confusing to me so I just went with what seemed to work best. As I have said before this was my first build and spent months researching this and that but still the timing thing throws me! Pass the Tide pods and Clorox bleach please. LOL
For instance I run locked timing. No advance curve, all in all the time. Do you run vacuum advance and centrifugal advance with weights and springs? What no bunt cake? Lol

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
So, we agree that the 4.3 v-6 DID get rollers in 87 and beyond? :) (i saw my 87 before in put the intake on..........)

Anyways, if i wanted to switch to roller cam on an sbc that did not originally come with one, then all i would need are the lifters with the link bars? (and obviously a roller cam)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tater81