How to tell roller cam or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I have an 87 k20 that has the original 350 in it. I want to know if it has a roller cam or not. I know the block is set up for a roller cam but they didn’t always receive them. Is there any way to tell if it has a roller cam without opening the engine up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have an 87 k20 that has the original 350 in it. I want to know if it has a roller cam or not. I know the block is set up for a roller cam but they didn’t always receive them. Is there any way to tell if it has a roller cam without opening the engine up?

I thought if it was TBI it’s was roller but I could be mistaken.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I thought if it was TBI it’s was roller but I could be mistaken.
I haven’t heard that but it’s possible. Maybe someone will chime in that knows

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The sure fire way to tell is the lifters, but the rockers would probably different, too. The one on the right is a flat tappet rocker. I don't know what a factory one would have looked like because the one on the left is aftermarket. It's likely not. They started phasing those in with higher performance vehicles if I'm not mistaken.

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The sure fire way to tell is the lifters, but the rockers would probably different, too. The one on the right is a flat tappet rocker. I don't know what a factory one would have looked like because the one on the left is aftermarket. It's likely not. They started phasing those in with higher performance vehicles if I'm not mistaken.

You must be registered for see images attach
In the LS maybe I’ve never seen roller rockers on earlier then LS engines stock. But then again I’ve never played with Vette stuff so idk about them.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I haven't seen them on the old stuff either. I've only messed with the old flat tappet stuff. I'm pretty certain the valve covers are gonna have to come off at the least.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I haven't seen them on the old stuff either. I've only messed with the old flat tappet stuff. I'm pretty certain the valve covers are gonna have to come off at the least.
If you have a bore scope you could look down in the valley with a valve cover off. I think the rockers are gonna look the same wether it’s flat tapper or roller

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I think read somewhere the police cars got the roller stuff forsure.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Roller versus flat tappet cams. All 1987 blocks have the provisions for the roller cam just the trucks didn’t get them. However in some 93, all 1994 and 1995 engines GM stopped drilling and tapping the bolt holes in the those provisions in the block according to tbichips website. I though he seemed to know what he' talking about last time I went though his site

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Roller versus flat tappet cams. All 1987 blocks have the provisions for the roller cam just the trucks didn’t get them. However in some 93, all 1994 and 1995 engines GM stopped drilling and tapping the bolt holes in the those provisions in the block according to tbichips website. I though he seemed to know what he' talking about last time I went though his site

That's mostly correct. Cars got them, trucks did not. I'm unsure of what year trucks did start to get them, it might have been '96. They had them for sure by then.

And not all '87 and later blocks have provisions for a roller cam. I'm talking no standoffs or anything, not just holes tapped. But, most were setup for a roller cam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL