how to make up a braided hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
@Camar068,

Are you talking about making up braided hoses? I know how to do it. I was an aircraft mechanic for years. We made up all of our hoses for the planes. And if they were wrong and something happen that caused the aircraft to have a fatal problem, people died! So they had to be right, every time. I made all the hoses on my truck. What the problem was, not every hose fitting is of the same quality or design, which was the main problem. Earl's fittings aren't designed properly. And I bought a inferior quality hose fitting. That was why I couldn't get the fitting on the hose correctly. It wasn't that I didn't know what to do. I have better fitings on the hose going to my fuel pressure gauge now, and am going to keep those in reserve. I ordered two new ones from @BigDaddy72's company instead. They've been shipped. When they come in I'll do my little build so people can see what to do to install the Autometer fuel pressure gauge correctly.
yeh, I got the hose from Summit and ordered Russel fittings. My post was just my 2 cents on the subject. Fuel pressure is on my list of gauges I'd like also. Looking forward to it.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@BigDaddy72,

Redhorse notified me that I would be getting my fittings "early", this Friday instead of next week. Yea! I have those two AN-4 fittings that are in the 6" extension hose I have going to the fuel pressure gauge now and they are Russell's so I could go ahead and change out the fuel pressure gauge. I've been having a lot of issues with my neck here lately and I'm kinda waiting for those to settle down before I tackle that job.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have three more gauges I'm still mulling over trying to install in my truck. They are all Autometer in the "Competition Series" style, small 2 1/16" gauges like the ones I have on my engine. They are mounted in a .080" thick piece of aluminum plate I made, well, I cut three holes for the gauges I really didn't "make" anything, but they are a oil temperature 100 F to 340 F, trans. temp. 100 F to 280 F, and trans. press. . I need to check my files and see which cooler line I attach the trans. temp. and trans. press. to since I have two hoses going to and coming from the trans. cooler. Maybe neither one would be a good one for pressure but one of them would. Heck it could be the same hose.
You must be registered for see images attach
These are the Autometer "Competition Series" gauges, now called "Traditional Chrome" These are the ones I have mounted on the front of my engine so I can keep up with cam bearing wear with the front "oil Pressure" gauge. I can combind the "Vacuum" gauge here with the Autometer "Sport Comp" "mini" tach I have mounted over on the right inner wheel well and do ignition,
Here's those two I was talking about. The trans. press. (not shown) is just another oil press. gauge but is a 0 lb. to 200 lb. gauge. It may not work since it's for oil which is thicker but Autometer doesn't make a trans. press. gauge in this series. I think two hundred pounds for trans. pressure would be enough, wouldn't it? Isn't it like 180 lbs. high? I don't know.
and carb. tuneups right there. I chuckle to myself when I think of how many times people would ask me, when I used to show my truck back in the '90's why I had gauges on my engine, those two, and they wouldn't think about what they could do with those two particular gauges, especially the vacuum gauge. Most people have to wait to get home and drag out the box of vacuum gauges, hoses, and whatever else, or stashed behind or under the seat to check vacuum on the engine. When I was rebuilding my truck it just came to me like a light going on in my head, "Why don't I just mount a vacuum gauge on the engine. That way I don't have to carry stuff with me, or wait to get home. I can do tuneups on the side of the road!" .

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here's my tach on the inner fender well I use for keeping track of things and checking tuning, i.e. checking rpm when my timing is all in, manifold vacuum setting when idle jets on carb are being set, etc..
This is a "Sport Comp" mini tach that measures 2 5/8" in diameter. And what humerously aggrivated me was a couple of months later Autometer came out with a mini tach that was in the Cometition Series measuring 2 1/16" like the ones on the front of my engine. That's the one I would liked to have had but Autometer didn't make one, until that is a few months later...dog gone it!
This is the look across my engine when you'd be doing tuneup's. You can be looking at the vacuum gauge and the tach as you pull the carb linkage to 3,000 to check the "all in", or vacuum of the carb at 1750 rpm, which is the prescribed rpm for checking total vacuum at so much timing like part throttle.
Actually the Sport Comp is better because it's larger and easier to see. I didn't put the light in it though because I didn't think I would need it since at night I would probably be using a flashlight anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL