How to Identify a 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Lmfao. You called the Cummins junk? Early Detroit’s get way more **** than any gen of the Cummins engine. then turn around and talk about running common setups when you spend your whole life trying to go back to the “common” ( stock) setup?
lol
If someone lays 3 700s in front of you. One from a 82 one from and 86 and one from a 90 you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference without consulting your gurus lol. If it’s the trans you want and it works. RUN IT

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Have it your way then. All you're doing is waiting for a hunk of **** to fall in your lap. The 82-84 are the most undesirable units there are riddled with problems. And this is a 4x4 too right? You're best bet is to source an 87 or later K case unit. (Big letter K on the outside of the bell housing.) You can wire that TCC solenoid in any different way you so choose. Some have lock up ability in both 3rd and/or 4th gear, some like it wired to just lock up in 4th gear which is done by simply not hooking the harness in the transmission to the 3rd gear pressure switch. The wiring is not all that hard. If you were that concerned about it, all you'd have to do is find the valve body wiring harness from an 82-84 truck on an 87 or later transmission and it'll work identical except that you have a much more reliable transmission.
I mentioned this before on a different post, but having worked in a transmission shop from 1980 to 1990, we would not build pre 1986 700's. This was a 10 bay transmission shop that probably built about 20 700's per week. Some people just won't listen when GOOD advise is given

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Between the snuff can piston powerjokes

Non turbo Cummins,

And the noisy, about to throw a crank 6.2,

The 3 diesels of the 80s

I think I'd take the Cummins.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Not at all. The problem is y'all are soo damn used to running common engs with no Issues. like Cummins POSs... JUNK & Just like The whole "Made in China" thing today. Whatever happened to buy the good brands... we are all brainwashed i tell ya.

They were good engines like the V6 Gassers as well, Minus the Crappy fuel mileage they got. Besides 1 thing. If ya ain't ever RAN NOR OWNED one ya can't say SQUAT.

Facts. Especially you Ox.

I think it's safe to say that Toro-Flows being junk is a fact. They're legendary junk, in fact. A lesson GM failed to learn the next time they attempted to convert a gas engine to a diesel.

But if you or your buddies are such big fans of Toro-Flows and apparently have them since you're claiming first hand experience, I have a couple of injection pumps and some injectors I'd love to get rid of. They're kind of lingering since most of those engines met an early end. You know, because they were so good.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh sweet baby jesus, here we go again.

Your '82 is compatible compatible with an '82-'84 700r4 just as well as a later year 700r4. Period. That's it, end of story. No opinions or assumptions. Just the focking facts. Just get the got dang later model trans that is widely available and 200% more reliable, install the right converter, governor springs and lockup solenoid. It will look and function just like stock. You always come here looking for help but then you won't take it. Pull the wool off your eyes for crying out loud.

mmerlinn

Reaction score
First Name
mmerlinn
Truck Year
1977, 1993, & 1993
Truck Model
Ranger, Aerostar, & Aerostar
Engine Size
460, 181, & 181
Another sign of the later model, more sought after 700r4 for performance builds would be the rainbow on the passenger side of the case in the casting of the case.

NOT all aux 700s have the St Louis Arch. Cases with casting numbers 8675369 (91-92) and 8673598 (93) do NOT have the arch. It is possible that there may be another number which I have not seen yet.

Hi guys and gals. I'm new to the forum and came across this thread.

I seem to have a odd ball trans that I'm trying to figure out.

I'm pretty sure it's a newer style 700r4

It's a jasper rebuild - pulled out of a 89 blazer so I have to assume it was built for that.

The numbers on the trans are 91 KR
There is no Arch/Rainbow
It doesn't have the pressure ports
It's not a K case

Not oddball at all. Most, but not all, 91-93 700s do NOT have the arch. Yeh, old post which poster will likely never see, but this note is for others that may read this later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128