How to Identify a 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was told on the Dieselplace forums that it must of been a Rebuilders Tag... Update. I found out that this Gas Drivetrain they swapped out for the diesel could of been from an 81-82 as well because that's what the Transmission from a friend who worked at GM had said its got an 1982 Serial date and supposably from a Gas.

Therefore i have been looking almost 6 months for a Diesel one. No Major differences besides the Diesels 700r4s had a few more "Bands" ? For MPG and there own Governor and Tq Converter. At the point now about calling up a junkyard from car-part.com and buying one from them, By the time i convert this gas one i have it'll be over $350 anyway when for the extra $200 i can get a proper diesel.

NOPE, Gas and Diesel 700r4's are the same. The only difference is the stall in the torque converter and the governor springs. So find one gas or diesel and get a diesel converter and use a governor out of a diesel unit it or change the springs to the weights to governor.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
NOPE, Gas and Diesel 700r4's are the same. The only difference is the stall in the torque converter and the governor springs. So find one gas or diesel and get a diesel converter and use a governor out of a diesel unit it or change the springs to the weights to governor.

I've been looking months for a Correct 4wd diesel one but nothing... I've been told by a very good friend of mine who worked at GM With my early engine it's only compatible with 1982-83 and maybe 1984.

The problem using my Gas 700r4 is that I'd have to wire up a TCC Solenoid somehow... and i don't want to do that, Therefore I'd rather have the Correct YR Diesel transmission So it's just Direct-Bolt In place.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Have it your way then. All you're doing is waiting for a hunk of **** to fall in your lap. The 82-84 are the most undesirable units there are riddled with problems. And this is a 4x4 too right? You're best bet is to source an 87 or later K case unit. (Big letter K on the outside of the bell housing.) You can wire that TCC solenoid in any different way you so choose. Some have lock up ability in both 3rd and/or 4th gear, some like it wired to just lock up in 4th gear which is done by simply not hooking the harness in the transmission to the 3rd gear pressure switch. The wiring is not all that hard. If you were that concerned about it, all you'd have to do is find the valve body wiring harness from an 82-84 truck on an 87 or later transmission and it'll work identical except that you have a much more reliable transmission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, you disappeared for a bit, but I had a guy here giving away a Th200 boat anchor transmission. I told him there's some guy named Kyle in USA looking for that thing and wants it. He said he wasn't sure where USA was so he was going to set it out for the trash man and let the methhead scrappers have it to haul off.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Have it your way then. All you're doing is waiting for a hunk of **** to fall in your lap. The 82-84 are the most undesirable units there are riddled with problems. And this is a 4x4 too right? You're best bet is to source an 87 or later K case unit. (Big letter K on the outside of the bell housing.) You can wire that TCC solenoid in any different way you so choose. Some have lock up ability in both 3rd and/or 4th gear, some like it wired to just lock up in 4th gear which is done by simply not hooking the harness in the transmission to the 3rd gear pressure switch. The wiring is not all that hard. If you were that concerned about it, all you'd have to do is find the valve body wiring harness from an 82-84 truck on an 87 or later transmission and it'll work identical except that you have a much more reliable transmission.

Doesn't sound like the later ones are much better if all i hear are the 700r4s, in general, are trash.
All I ask is Ppl Can Respect my Build and how I want to restore my Vehicle Nothing more Nothing else.
*edited* Bcuz i can.

Oh about the TCC. Factreeeeeeeeee.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Pretty sure I have an 84 K Case 700r4 that I picked up as a core for $25. Whereever you are in USA, if you get through OKC stop by and I'll pass it on to you for $25. Not sure if it was a gas or diesel truck though since that doesn't really matter other than the converter your order for it and springs you use in the governor.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
BTW, you disappeared for a bit, but I had a guy here giving away a Th200 boat anchor transmission. I told him there's some guy named Kyle in USA looking for that thing and wants it. He said he wasn't sure where USA was so he was going to set it out for the trash man and let the methhead scrappers have it to haul off.

I did for a reason. Can't get any good answers or help from any forum or FB group.

Can't go anywhere without Idiots & ********* around. Incompetent peasants psh.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Seems like you care too much like everyone else. *Cough Noisey ***** mind buying me one and sending it to me? oh and while you're at it... install it too. Yeah, I am just "Waiting" for a hunk of **** to fall in my lap, Doesn't sound like the later ones are much better if all i hear are the 700r4s, in general, are trash. Hmmph All 85 87 91 whatever TRASH & THs too.
Yup trash And no wonder why your Forum is dead. HA.

All I ask is Ppl Can Respect my Build and how I want to restore my Vehicle Nothing more Nothing else.
If not. Close down your Stupid forum.

Oh about the TCC. Factreeeeeeeeee.
They're all trash because there's people like you that "HEAR" This, and "HEAR" That, and KNOW what they're talking about, or people who are to simple and can't understand the concept of removing a wire or bypassing a switch so they insist on keeping the junk and continue to have problems. Everything "SOUNDS LIKE" junk from what the keyboard warriors on Facebook spread. But I get it. You can stay on FB and keep "HEARING" about all your false information, but we're not allowing you and anyone else to come here spreading your false ******** and why this forum is far from dead. If you don't like true facts then stay off this dead forum and spend your time spreading your ******** on FB. That's what we do here is educate and correct those who have been misinformed by people like you who can't be corrected.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
They're all trash because there's people like you that "HEAR" This, and "HEAR" That, and KNOW what they're talking about, or people who are to simple and can't understand the concept of removing a wire or bypassing a switch so they insist on keeping the junk and continue to have problems. Everything "SOUNDS LIKE" junk from what the keyboard warriors on Facebook spread. But I get it. You can stay on FB and keep "HEARING" about all your false information, but we're not allowing you and anyone else to come here spreading your false ******** and why this forum is far from dead. If you don't like true facts then stay off this dead forum and spend your time spreading your ******** on FB. That's what we do here is educate and correct those who have been misinformed by people like you who can't be corrected.

LOL. Actually funny. Bcuz I run the only biggest GM 6.2/6.5L Group on FB, Forgetting to mention I've been taught by 2-3 of my Elder Gurus who have 35+ yrs experience + the GM ToroFlow diesels and others. Even they are trying to help me find a good transmission bcuz they are Pure Original Believers... (Like me), no I personally don't belive everything that's told or said... I do my own Part on Researching that....

The Transmission is the part of which i don't know well. Never got down Nitty-gritty with them really. Always been very good to me.

Don't trust a Northstar V8 though. Now that's is pure trash. <<<.

I only came back to see what new content & things have been going on + Those who have quoted or replied to a comment of mine.
That's all. If I wouldn't of replied to your quote on this thread We wouldn't be here.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502

I can attest to this. I had a 84 k10 diesel. 700r4. Thing was a real pos.

Replaced it with a 700 from a 82 or so... Didn't last very long either. I swore off 700s as garbage, since then, I've had 3 trucks with a 700 behind it, 89,90,91. No issues.
The only time one died is because I got angry and revved the bastard up and dropped it in drive.
Twisted the splines right off the sunshell.

Took it apart, replaced the sunshell, new clutch and steel stacks, new seals and bearings, a thorough flush, and I was driving the bitch 3. 5 hours away a month later....

Also, the lore of heavy loads killing a well cooled 700r4 is false too.

The very same 700 in my 89 burb I have now pulled a 8000 pound tractor PLUS the trailer...
1500-2000.

No issues, no overheating.

They're not junk. Just operator error kills them every time.
Set the f'n TV right, run a HD cooler or a external cooler, and change the fluid after every 2-3 heavy hauls.

By the way, my transmission is as old as the truck.
. Over 200k miles I think?

Still going strong WITH a low mileage 333/385 HO350 in front of it.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Forgetting to mention I've been taught by 2-3 of my Elder Gurus who have 35+ yrs experience + the GM ToroFlow diesels and others. Even they are trying to help me find a good transmission bcuz they are Pure Original Believers... (Like me),

If they're believers in Toro-Flows you're listening to the wrong people.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I can attest to this. I had a 84 k10 diesel. 700r4. Thing was a real pos.

Replaced it with a 700 from a 82 or so... Didn't last very long either. I swore off 700s as garbage, since then, I've had 3 trucks with a 700 behind it, 89,90,91. No issues.
The only time one died is because I got angry and revved the bastard up and dropped it in drive.
Twisted the splines right off the sunshell.

Took it apart, replaced the sunshell, new clutch and steel stacks, new seals and bearings, a thorough flush, and I was driving the bitch 3. 5 hours away a month later....

Also, the lore of heavy loads killing a well cooled 700r4 is false too.

The very same 700 in my 89 burb I have now pulled a 8000 pound tractor PLUS the trailer...
1500-2000.

No issues, no overheating.

They're not junk. Just operator error kills them every time.
Set the f'n TV right, run a HD cooler or a external cooler, and change the fluid after every 2-3 heavy hauls.

By the way, my transmission is as old as the truck.
. Over 200k miles I think?

Still going strong WITH a low mileage 333/385 HO350 in front of it.
Just like people give **** to the 4L60E... mine gave me 333k miles! I personally like 700r's

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Just like people give **** to the 4L60E... mine gave me 333k miles! I personally like 700r's

Just gotta treat it right lol.
Ive been thru a a couple in the s10, but that's just due to repeated abuse, and not to mention the s10 4l60e I believe has smaller clutchs and steels and a believe 3rd sprauge than a full size 4l60e?

I'm not extremely knowledgeable on the differences. But I do believe I'm somewhere close.

The full size ones I know of people having and they've lasted a good long while.

You'll hear one side of the internet that says the 4l60e and its hydraulic sister are junk, and another that swears by them

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
If they're believers in Toro-Flows you're listening to the wrong people.

Not at all. The problem is y'all are soo damn used to running common engs with no Issues. like Cummins POSs... JUNK & Just like The whole "Made in China" thing today. Whatever happened to buy the good brands... we are all brainwashed i tell ya.

They were good engines like the V6 Gassers as well, Minus the Crappy fuel mileage they got. Besides 1 thing. If ya ain't ever RAN NOR OWNED one ya can't say SQUAT.

Facts. Especially you Ox.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
I hear more about those than the 700s! Which is rough. :p

I haven't owned anything newer than 2002 in a Long ass time.
Always see Those Memes online about them 4L60 & 80s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k