How to Identify a 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's a 700r4.
I am sort of slapping myself with my purchase every time I find out something that the seller told me that is wrong....

I thought I had a TH350... hell 3 gears only worked and then I somehow "broke it" and only had 2 gears. Tranny wants to drop out of gear and coast when I hit 40mph+... unless I have it in a lower gear and it locks up.

So I think it's a 700r4, which is bitter sweet because I like the fact it's 4 spd as I don't plan on hot rodding it too much. I prefer the everyday drive ability.

So I bought a Modulator valve and governor gear... aaaand it's not even a TH350!!

I finally crawled under there tonight and wondered for a few minutes why there was no vacuum modulator!!!

Can anyone confirm??

You must be registered for see images attach
Have you got a pic of the pan? It's appears to be missing a letter to be a 700r4. They do get stamped wrong at times though. 1FY? If it's a 700r4, it's likely from a Camaro or Firebird originally as in F Body car and the 1 would suggest a 1991 unit which is much more desirable over the 86 and earlier units.

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
That's a 700r4.

Have you got a pic of the pan? It's appears to be missing a letter to be a 700r4. They do get stamped wrong at times though. 1FY? If it's a 700r4, it's likely from a Camaro or Firebird originally as in F Body car and the 1 would suggest a 1991 unit which is much more desirable over the 86 and earlier units.

I'll get a picture later but it's rectangular and doesn't have the chamfered corners.

I'll have to post up in the general thread on diagnosis of the shift issues. Only uses 2 gears.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll get a picture later but it's rectangular and doesn't have the chamfered corners.

I'll have to post up in the general thread on diagnosis of the shift issues. Only uses 2 gears.
Yeah it's a 700r4. Sounds like you lost the 3/4 clutch pack. So you've got 1st and 2nd and that's it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
On 2nd thought, you said it had 3 gears for awhile, now just 2? You might have a broken sunshell and lost 2 and 4th. You'd know for sure if you lose reverse.

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
On 2nd thought, you said it had 3 gears for awhile, now just 2? You might have a broken sunshell and lost 2 and 4th. You'd know for sure if you lose reverse.

I have Reverse fine. I'm totally new to this whole animal of GM trans/engines... but the TV cable is a mess as I've been going through research. It was pretty butchered and I found it disconnected with a rigged connector after I "lost" 3rd. The truck lurches pretty hard when engaged into D, L1, L2.... maybe the line pressure is high? Need a new TV cable just because I have no idea how this rig has been worked on...seems a lot of corners have been cut.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That cable has to be dead nuts or nothing works right, be a good idea to hook up a pressure gauge to monitor the pressure through the range.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have Reverse fine. I'm totally new to this whole animal of GM trans/engines... but the TV cable is a mess as I've been going through research. It was pretty butchered and I found it disconnected with a rigged connector after I "lost" 3rd. The truck lurches pretty hard when engaged into D, L1, L2.... maybe the line pressure is high? Need a new TV cable just because I have no idea how this rig has been worked on...seems a lot of corners have been cut.
That right there answers the question for me. Your 3/4 clutch pack is toasted so you only have 1st and 2nd. One thing about a 700r4, That TV cable not only sets shift points and passing gear, it also regulates fluid pressure via the Throttle Valve, hence TV cable. If that cable was disconnected or not right, then TV valve never raised the fluid pressure to hold the clutches tighter for more throttle and they slipped until they burnt up. Light throttle means less pressure, More throttle means higher pressure. TV cable has to be adjusted right or the transmission dies a quick death. Unlike a Tubo 350, where if the cable isn't hooked up or adjust right, you just get crappy shift points and no passing gear if not hooked up but it won't kill the transmission in a short period of time like a 700r4. If while the cable is not hooked up on a 700r4, and if you're driving it hard, you can toast them clutches in less than 100 miles. Hooked up but a loose adjustment you can cook it in less than 500 miles.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
My transmission has the code 3TK1LON

I cannot get any information on these numbers just wondering if this is the original to the truck or not.

NejiDannii

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350 V8
I’m new on here and we’ll my transmission went out won’t go on reverse when on gear just a rattling noise so I’m guessing I need a new transmission and I don’t know what type of transmission I have it’s a 84 C10 Silverado with a 350 Engine and it’s automatic. Please help

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I’m new on here and we’ll my transmission went out won’t go on reverse when on gear just a rattling noise so I’m guessing I need a new transmission and I don’t know what type of transmission I have it’s a 84 C10 Silverado with a 350 Engine and it’s automatic. Please help
A pan pic would be best, but that's looking like a 700r4 from what I can see. I won't swear to it until I seen a pan pic.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
4WDKC beat me by a second or 2.

NejiDannii

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350 V8
Hopefully this will help

Last edited:

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Are the 700r4s built for the 6.2 diesels any different than the ones used for Gas?
That was one thing I am curious about... Mine is the 1982 Chevrolet k10 first year for 6.2 diesel and 700r4.

trying to find out production year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg