How to fix loose gm steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Interesting. See how your's has that space between on those splines? Mine isn't like that, it's consistently spaced all the way around. Wonder if I got a reject. :roflbow:

Is yours non-tilt? I know the plates are different between the two.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That's a good question... I'll look at my non-tilt column when I make the switch to the tilt I'm working on now. Might be awhile though... In the meantime though I'll take pics of the tilt I'm working on now and get those up. It's an earlier model than what 89s was working on, so there are slight differences.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
At this point it is very easy to remove the shifter spring. I think mine was the wrong one, for a non tilt column as it was too short. It didn't appear to have broken. I tried to remove it after taking the shift lever off but it was jammed in there and I couldn't fish it out. By tearing the column down I was able to use pliers to pop it out and install the new one. It was very easy at this point because you could line up the spring with the shift lever and pop the pin back in. My guess is that it would be a serious pita to do it without tearing it apart.

You have to re-thread the tilt lever back in place, and tilt and pull assembly down all the way to disengage the teeth, then she opens up like a prom date in heat.... :waytogo:

:wtf:

You must be registered for see images

image host

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
At this point it is very easy to remove the shifter spring. I think mine was the wrong one, for a non tilt column as it was too short. It didn't appear to have broken. I tried to remove it after taking the shift lever off but it was jammed in there and I couldn't fish it out. By tearing the column down I was able to use pliers to pop it out and install the new one. It was very easy at this point because you could line up the spring with the shift lever and pop the pin back in. My guess is that it would be a serious pita to do it without tearing it apart.

Damn dude, thanks for pointing that out, I never noticed the spring until you said that and I looked at that pic a little harder. :)

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
The tilt column in my new cab is VERY loose. It not only moves side to side, but it doesn't fully lock when adjusted so it has alot of play up and down too. The truck was in a front end collision so could my column actually be broken or is this also a symptom of these loose bolts in the column?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
The tilt column in my new cab is VERY loose. It not only moves side to side, but it doesn't fully lock when adjusted so it has alot of play up and down too. The truck was in a front end collision so could my column actually be broken or is this also a symptom of these loose bolts in the column?

Loose bolts.

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, somewhat of a common problem. I need to do this to my 85 K1500 too. I've put it off waiting to get out to my dads, where I have a 4 spoke wheel I intend to install on reassembly. I'd also recommend using LocTite Blue Hand Tool locktight to keep this from happening again.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Spring installed with set screw.

You must be registered for see images attach

Full lock, key in accy.

Key in wheel unlock.

Unlocked, key in START.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
And of the 3 screws holding the switch to the column, the upper right one is special to that spot, a pan head, and the other two are the same, keep reference...

One of the 3 Phillips head screws holding the turn signal switch assembly to the column is connected to a small piece that connects to the turn signal lever, remove and reference it's location....

upload pictures

adult image hosting

Someone put that on wrong, the pan head goes on the "directional switch arm" so someone had it apart before and didn't put it together right.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Someone put that on wrong, the pan head goes on the "directional switch arm" so someone had it apart before and didn't put it together right.

That must have been me, I had it apart before, LMAO! :roflbow:

I'll check it today. I still have to install the cancel springs. Just too damn cold and windy yesterday to be outside. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted from mobile...

LedZeppelinXV

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
1985, 1977, 1975
Truck Model
C15, K25, C65
Engine Size
305 LE9, 350 Goodwrench, 366
what about the issue of the key getting hard to turn in the start position? in my shitbox 85 the switch feels normal 95% of of the turn and then just as it is about to crank the engine, it gets a lot of resistance. i think the exact same thing started to happen to my uncle's 77 before i destroyed the switch with channel locks; i put a push button in that one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay