how to fish wires through column?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
someone was a moron (me) and when the old turn signal stalk was removed a piece of wire, string etc was not attached to the other end of the cruise wires so i could have easily fed my new ones through......

so how do i do it now?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Try to push a solid pull wire through the wire channel then pull your new wires in with it.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
The wire channel is the plastic thing on the bottom i assume? I didn't try that, will try now.

Would prefer not remove the steering wheel if i don't have to, but that might be the easiest too?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Yes but the lock plate is behind it as well as you will need to pull the turn signal switch up a bit to tip it out of the way. If you don't have the tool for the lock plate it can be a bitch to get off.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I used a fishtape

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Yes but the lock plate is behind it as well as you will need to pull the turn signal switch up a bit to tip it out of the way. If you don't have the tool for the lock plate it can be a bitch to get off.
Ended up getting tied up on other projects, will try to reverse fish the channel next week. Argh

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
A couple of things that might be useful to you - well one of them anyway.

Cruise Master III Mode Control Switch Tests and Pinouts:

You must be registered for see images attach

Cruise Master III Overview - Lever, Switch & Column Wiring:

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Thanks!

After i get this done i can start troubleshooting why it doesn't work. Hoping for a bad wire and not bad parts. We will see...

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I have a module that I think is good for an 86. The sticker on the casing is not there, but the part number on the PC board is 25074637.

If you want it - it's yours.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I have a module that I think is good for an 86. The sticker on the casing is not there, but the part number on the PC board is 25074637.

If you want it - it's yours.
Which part specifically? How much?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Some Custom Cruise III stuff.

Description of operation:

1983---87 CUSTOM CRUISE III

This system consists of a mode control assembly, electronic controller (module), Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) buffer amplifier, servo unit, and release switches and valves. The servo unit maintains vehicle speed (throttle position) by trapping vacuum in its diaphragm chamber at servo positions determined by the control module. The module monitors mode control switch position, signals from the VSS buffer amplifier, servo position and release switch operation, then operates vacuum valves within the servo unit to control servo operation and vehicle speed. The module also contains a speed limiting function which prevents system operation at speeds below approximately 25 m.p.h.

The mode control assembly, Fig. 5, consists of a 3 position slide-type switch and a set/coast switch button. To operate the system, the slide switch must be in on position and vehicle speed must be above 25 m.p.h.. The system is engaged at the desired speed by fully depressing, then releasing the set/coast button. Cruise speed can be increased from set position by accelerating vehicle to desired speed, then pressing and releasing button. In order to decrease speed, the set/coast button is held in the fully depressed position (disengaging system), then released when the desired speed is reached. The system can be disengaged at any time by depressing the brake or clutch pedal, or by moving the slide switch to off position.

If the system is disengaged by depressing the brake or clutch pedal, the last set speed will be retained in the module memory until the slide switch or ignition switch is moved to off position. Momentarily moving the slide switch to the resume/accel. position will cause the vehicle to accelerate to the last set speed and maintain that speed. If the slide switch is held in the resume/accel. position, the vehicle will continue to accelerate until the switch is released. When the switch is released, the speed that the vehicle accelerated to becomes the new set speed.

The slide switch also allows a ``tap-up'' function to increase cruise set speed in 1 m.p.h. increments. With the cruise control engaged and operating, ``tapping-up'' is done by pressing the slide switch to the resume position, then quickly releasing it. This procedure can be repeated 10 times before the system must be reset to a new speed in the conventional manner.

Servo Unit Operation

The servo, Fig. 6, consists of a vacuum operated diaphragm, a normally open solenoid valve to vent the diaphragm, a normally closed solenoid valve connecting the diaphragm chamber to the vacuum source, and a variable inductance position sensor that provides the module with servo position data. The servo operates the throttle in response to control module commands as follows:

When the system is engaged and operating at a steady rate of speed, both solenoid valves are closed. Vacuum is trapped in the diaphragm chamber exerting a constant force on the diaphragm and the throttle position remains fixed.

When the vehicle is losing speed due to increased load, or when the operator seeks to increase speed through the control switch assembly, the module energizes the vacuum valve solenoid. This increases the force exerted on the diaphragm, which in turn increases the throttle opening.

When vehicle speed increases above the pre-set cruise speed, or when the operator seeks to decrease speed through the control switch assembly, the module de-energizes the diaphragm vent valve solenoid. This opens the valve, decreases force on the diaphragm, and allows the throttle return spring to decrease the throttle opening.
During normal operation, the module will pulse the operation of the vent or vacuum valves, as needed, to maintain the set cruise speed. The average duration of each pulse is 10 milliseconds. If vehicle speed drops 5 m.p.h. below set cruise speed, the module will hold the vacuum valve in the completely open (energized) position. If vehicle speed exceeds set cruise speed by 3 m.p.h. or more, then module will hold the vent valve in the open (de-energized) position. The module will hold the valves open until the vehicle speed matches the set cruise speed. The diaphragm vent valve will also remain in the fully open position if the brake or clutch pedal is depressed, the ignition is switched off, or if an open circuit exists in the system feed circuit or in the servo position sensor.

System schematic:

Vacuum hose routing:

Non-operation diagnostic chart:

Adjustments (1985---87)

Servo Unit Adjustment:

To adjust servo on V6 and V8 gasoline engines, close throttle, then with ignition and fast idle off, adjust rod assembly length to give .020---.040 (Exc. C, K, R and V models with V6 engine) or .007---.015 (C, K, R and V models with V6 engine) inch clearance between rod and stud.

To adjust servo on G models with diesel engines, use third ball on servo chain. With ignition off, adjust cable jam nuts until cable sleeve at throttle lever is tight, without holding throttle open. To adjust servo on C, K, R and V models with diesel engines, position idle screw against stop, then with ignition off, assemble lower end of rod link to throttle lever and upper end to hole closest servo which will provide .040 inch slack maximum.

Engagement-Cruising Speed Zeroing:

There is no provision for engagement-cruising speed zeroing. If cruising speed is too high or low, check vacuum hoses for improper routing, restrictions or leaks and servo linkage for proper adjustment. If cruising speed remains too high or low, replace the electronic controller.

Last edited:

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Thanks. How much for the shipping to 58045 and how would you like payment?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks. How much for the shipping to 58045 and how would you like payment?

Best to PM private info as these posts can be viewed by anyone and everyone! Don't want to make it too easy for criminals! Or somebody could make a :party36: with your rig. Not sure how precise that # gets you in the States but up here our postal code gets you with in a pretty small radius

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Im hoping i had bad connections at the servo. Need to get steering wheel reinstalled before i can test drive though.

Switches new and test good
Initally servo resistance tested as open, so i pulled it and tested at the pins rather than short harness and it tested good. Hooked harness back up and it still tests OK.

Need to figure out to apply voltage to a few of the pins to finish testing it.

Wires still not fished, i can get a lead write through, but the connector end is too large to make the corner, hence pulling the wheel. But i haven't removed the lock plate, so i might still be able to get it, just was getting frustrated so i quit for now.

Only things not tested are the module (dont think you can) and the VSS buffer. Does/can the vss buffer go bad?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10