wires ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
I was removing some kinda alarm system that some numnut installed and i have these two wires PURPLE an YELLOW pretty thick wires. They both lead to the fuse block.
Question is where do they go. there on a relay right now that was part of the alarm system. If i disconnect the wires from the relay truck will not turn over and when i reconnect them to the relay truck will turn over (start )
Ive tried to follow a schematic but im not so good at looking at those....(why cant they just use colored wire in schematics? and simplify these IE per circuits )
truck is 84 gmc engine room fire burnt most wires..........

Attachments

• 10-21-23 (1).jpg
    10-21-23 (1).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 31

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Sounds like an opportunity to make a hidden kill switch.
yup except i have no need for one. truck stays in back yard and dogs attack any thing that moves or breathes :grd:
i do not see any obvious places these wire went to.....and i can not put the truck back together until i know where these go so i can run the truck.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had a car similar to this....blasted thing would lock the doors with the key on. Hated it.

Are these wires for power TO the relay or power coming FROM the relay? I would use a DVOM for continuity to find both ends. I'm sure whoever installed it just interrupted a circuit, so would be a matter of finding both ends of the circuit and restoring it to its original configuration.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The purple wire is for the engine start. From the ignition switch to the clutch switch on a manual trans. To the neutral safety switch on an auto trans.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
The purple wire is for the engine start. From the ignition switch to the clutch switch on a manual trans. To the neutral safety switch on an auto trans.
i did notice there was two terminals empty on the neutral safety switch. but the purple wire does not go up to the steering column but down to the fuse block.
i looked on my 77 truck and the neutral safety wires are purple Two of them but no yellow wire.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
I had a car similar to this....blasted thing would lock the doors with the key on. Hated it.

Are these wires for power TO the relay or power coming FROM the relay? I would use a DVOM for continuity to find both ends. I'm sure whoever installed it just interrupted a circuit, so would be a matter of finding both ends of the circuit and restoring it to its original configuration.
they (relay was a ad on for alarm system ) so its of no use . i really dont know where they used to go to there are no obvious signs of where these go to.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
i did notice there was two terminals empty on the neutral safety switch. but the purple wire does not go up to the steering column but down to the fuse block.
i looked on my 77 truck and the neutral safety wires are purple Two of them but no yellow wire.
Okay that is the wire that makes it's way over to the starter. The missing purple wire would be the feed to the neutral safety switch from the ignition switch. Keep looking at the added on wires to the relay. See where they go.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Im heading out there now to hunt those wires down.. still dont know what the yellow wire is for... ill post back to what ever i find......

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
ok ive looked real good in there for the other purple wire. no go... But i did find that that yellow wire is in fact from the ignition switch to start the truck. so all is good there now. :favorites37: i can dump that relay and solder those wires together (i don't need a safety switch i prefer it to start in gear ) or do like what chris said above and turn that into a hidden kill switch. Now on to the electric choke fix.. :favorites37: engine bay fire burned up lots of wires