How much oil pressure during priming ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just started and drove for the first time good oil pressure ! Sounds awesome drives great!

Reactions: WFO

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
P.s how many miles be for I can let her rip ? Or hit the expressway ?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Most will tell you 500 miles before you hammer on it. As well as let it get up to temp before beat on it short starts and shutting them off isn't good for a new engine either. As far as highway as long as you are smooth with the skinny pedal have at it. Me call me crazy when I build an engine I am a firm believer in go or blow. That's one reason I've gone away from flat tappet stuff. But that's me and well if it blows up it's on me.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok here's what I do with flat tappets (can't afford that exotic roller ****, lol)break the cam in the usual way, dump the oil and cut the filter open, if the filter is clean I put a new batch of oil in and new filter and run the livin **** out of it, then I pop the filter and cut it open, if the filter is clean then I figure I got a good motor, put a new filter on and go play. I do it this way with any motor race or street, I was thought to do it this way 30+ years ago and still do it today and it's always worked.. That 500mi thing is ********, sorry!!..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ok here's what I do with flat tappets (can't afford that exotic roller ****, lol)break the cam in the usual way, dump the oil and cut the filter open, if the filter is clean I put a new batch of oil in and new filter and run the livin **** out of it, then I pop the filter and cut it open, if the filter is clean then I figure I got a good motor, put a new filter on and go play. I do it this way with any motor race or street, I was thought to do it this way 30+ years ago and still do it today and it's always worked.. That 500mi thing is ********, sorry!!..
That's what people are tod tho. Go or blow. Hey here's a good idea let's baby it so it builds a ridge the after it has this ridge we are gonna beat on it.......now it smokes.....I wonder why??

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's what people are tod tho. Go or blow. Hey here's a good idea let's baby it so it builds a ridge the after it has this ridge we are gonna beat on it.......now it smokes.....I wonder why??
EXACTLY....

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Being a new guy around here, I spend a lot of time digging through the "archives" just to see who does what around here.. I know it's poor taste to randomly comment on an old thread, but I just finished reading every word of this thread, found it quite interesting and just couldn't help myself.. Ypsi10, I was once in your shoes over 60 years ago when I built my first engine at the age of 14.. I had lots of help from knowledgeable people.. I was so proud of myself when I finished the engine and it actually ran..

Shortbed, cudos for being patient and working with that young grasshopper.. You and I could have learned from the same teacher as our engine building techniques are so similar.. I started campaigning a racecar in the late '60s and built my own engines.. I built my priming tool from an old cast iron distributor that dated from the '50s.. I still have and use that tool.. I practiced very sanitary assembly procedures - each and every piece was cleaned and checked before assembly.. I never concerned myself with actual oil pressure during the priming process, I just learned to listen to the load on the drill.. Since the rockers are the last parts to get oil, I figured when I saw a good flow of oil across them, the priming process was finished..

@Ypsi10, you finished your engine 6 months ago, so if you're reading this, please come back and tell us how it's doing.....

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Now I'm not as "old" as you folks @74 Shortbed and @RustyPile but I was taught by "older folks" . I stared playing with engines some 30 years ago and still learning today. Anyone that says they know it all is someone I won't listen to. But I do figure that 500 mile **** is for engine builders time to come up with a reason not to warranty any of there crappy work, because you didn't follow " the procedure " we all know an engine at a shop gets attention to detail based on price it sucks but it's a cold hard truth. Yes I bust Arts chops but he seems to know his **** and well I take in his knowledge that he share as I do with anything rational. Ok I'm done now.lol

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Being a new guy around here, I spend a lot of time digging through the "archives" just to see who does what around here.. I know it's poor taste to randomly comment on an old thread, but I just finished reading every word of this thread, found it quite interesting and just couldn't help myself.. Ypsi10, I was once in your shoes over 60 years ago when I built my first engine at the age of 14.. I had lots of help from knowledgeable people.. I was so proud of myself when I finished the engine and it actually ran..

Shortbed, cudos for being patient and working with that young grasshopper.. You and I could have learned from the same teacher as our engine building techniques are so similar.. I started campaigning a racecar in the late '60s and built my own engines.. I built my priming tool from an old cast iron distributor that dated from the '50s.. I still have and use that tool.. I practiced very sanitary assembly procedures - each and every piece was cleaned and checked before assembly.. I never concerned myself with actual oil pressure during the priming process, I just learned to listen to the load on the drill.. Since the rockers are the last parts to get oil, I figured when I saw a good flow of oil across them, the priming process was finished..

Ypsi10, you finished your engine 6 months ago, so if you're reading this, please come back and tell us how it's doing.....

It's not in poor taste at all to dig up the archives and wake them up. Most of them are good info and not a bad idea to bring them back to the top for further discussion especially since you're not the only newer guy. Not to mention, by the time these type threads are rejuvenated, some guys are cycled out and new cycled in.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Now I'm not as "old" as you folks @74 Shortbed and @RustyPile but I was taught by "older folks" . I stared playing with engines some 30 years ago and still learning today. Anyone that says they know it all is someone I won't listen to. But I do figure that 500 mile **** is for engine builders time to come up with a reason not to warranty any of there crappy work, because you didn't follow " the procedure " we all know an engine at a shop gets attention to detail based on price it sucks but it's a cold hard truth. Yes I bust Arts chops but he seems to know his **** and well I take in his knowledge that he share as I do with anything rational. Ok I'm done now.lol

Setting race engines and even high performance engines aside, the reason most shops want the customer to bring the engine/vehicle back for a 500 mile "check up" it to determine just how the customer is treating that engine, and to be sure the engine is performing as it should.. After all, some (most) people are totally ignorant as to what goes on under the hood.. Also, most shops don't do the actual remanufacturing of the engines they sell.. They buy from an outside source.. Dissecting the oil filter and other procedures will reveal the quality of the reman.. An in-shop rebuild where parts are cleaned and reused such as pistons, valves, valve springs, rods, etc. in my estimation is a short cut taken in order to save money for the customer. And it usually results in a short lived solution.. Some of the shops where I worked did work like that, but I'm not a fan of that process..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy