Oil pressure help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I ran it with the line loosened to purge the air out. It looks like it’s only doing it when it’s cold. Now I’m having issues with my hubs getting to be 170 degrees after a highway drive in 105 degree weather going 75. Not sure why, I just cleaned and packed the bearings recently.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I ran it with the line loosened to purge the air out. It looks like it’s only doing it when it’s cold. Now I’m having issues with my hubs getting to be 170 degrees after a highway drive in 105 degree weather going 75. Not sure why, I just cleaned and packed the bearings recently.
Did you torque the front hub nut down or did you torque and then back off 1/8-1/4 turn?

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I torqued the nut down to seat the bearings while spinning it, backed it off as much as I could to where there was no play and the pin would line up for the lock washer. Then torqued the outer nut to around 100 ft lbs, shot some more grease in there after that to make sure there was plenty. It’s good quality high temp red grease that I put in there. It took many times taking the hubs apart tightening and loosening that nut to get it right and it still feels like it spins well. I know I’m not over the maximum temp for the grease, but will it damage the hub or spindle?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I torqued the nut down to seat the bearings while spinning it, backed it off as much as I could to where there was no play and the pin would line up for the lock washer. Then torqued the outer nut to around 100 ft lbs, shot some more grease in there after that to make sure there was plenty. It’s good quality high temp red grease for wheel bearings
You are supposed to back it off a set amount and then to the lock pin. If done right, you should get a slight click of free play of the hub when cold. That little bit of play is necessary to not be overtightening when running high speed on a blazing hot freeway

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So a little bit of play rocking the wheel back and forth cold is normal? I’ll go back those nuts off one hole on the lock washer. Will it do any damage if I use it for another day as is?

T-roy K10

Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hot hubs could also be the brakes dragging. I just went through this on my Jeep wrangler. Ended up having to change the flexible lines along with rotors and caliper. They clogged with debris and didn’t allow the fluid to flow back towards the master cylinder when the brakes were released.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Oil pan is leaking pretty bad. I’m dropping the pan to put in a new 1 piece gasket, and I’m going to put a high volume pump in and run a lighter oil. Can I use the drive shaft that is already in there on the new pump or do I need to get one of the melling performance ones?

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You can use the old pump drive, don't be surprised if the plastic coupling is cracked. A high pressure or new oem pump might be a better option.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Only one in stock is a high volume or standard volume standard pressure, I already have a bigger pan on there. Does the melling high volume pump come with a new plastic coupling usually?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Only one in stock is a high volume or standard volume standard pressure, I already have a bigger pan on there. Does the melling high volume pump come with a new plastic coupling usually?
yes

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Is there supposed to be a gasket between the pump and mounting surface too?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad