how hard is it to rebuild a 205 - what might be needed from a shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have built about three of them... I do not recall needing a press. Good snap ring pliers. Yes. Then there’s that funky snap ring that doesn’t have the eyes for the usual style of pliers. ( IF ORIGINAL RINGS) They look more like reversed slip joint pliers.

Maybe the idler gear needed a press? I really do not remember the need for one.
keep the area clean and parts organized. I twin stocked mine too.
you will need a dial indicator for back lash on the idler. But besides that. All pretty simple.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
im not saying i cant carry it... but i havent tried and attached to the adapter it was a mfer to wiggle around as it was lol

Oh no...I was laughing at the thought of Bucket simply "carrying one around". Like hangin out with one, walking a dog, cuttin the grass, doin laundry, carrying around a transfer case, cleanin the bathroom, whatever. It struck me funny. :shrug:
Carrying them around,

LoL?

*phone rings*
"Hay Bucket, it's Rusty. I was over here lookin at the internet and wondered what was goin on over there. Wanna go to the carwash?"
Bucket replies "Not too much, only carryin around a transfer case."
o_O
LoL?

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I combined two np205's into one good one. It wasnt that bad especially with this guys videos. https://www.youtube.com/gebbuilt
I used parts from offroad design or ebay.
did you do fixed output on both sides?
I have built about three of them... I do not recall needing a press. Good snap ring pliers. Yes. Then there’s that funky snap ring that doesn’t have the eyes for the usual style of pliers. ( IF ORIGINAL RINGS) They look more like reversed slip joint pliers.

you will need a dial indicator for back lash on the idler. But besides that. All pretty simple.
Fortunately i have about 7 snap ring pliers in different variations and some redundant. The hub locks would have been killer without them lol

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
These are the ones I mean.

You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350

I think I was thinking about the sm465. I can't remember 100%, I know you for sure need a press for the 465.

Last edited:

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
is that a lot for a novice like me?
It's a pretty easy t-case. I don't see a problem if you take your time and keep your workspace clean and organized.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
well either way i should have a press

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
It's a pretty easy t-case. I don't see a problem if you take your time and keep your workspace clean and organized.
It's the easiest case to rebuild in my opinion, just shift rails and gears and shafts. No shift forks or chains or any small plastic or any of that junk

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's the easiest case to rebuild in my opinion, just shift rails and gears and shafts. No shift forks or chains or any small plastic or any of that junk
Hmmmm. But there is indeed shift forks... their little nubs on the tip is a wear point.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The videos I've seen make it look super easy. Its all gears and bearings, so any serious damage should be fairly obvious once apart. I would just buy a quality rebuild kit, tear it down completely, clean and inspect everything, and throw it back together. It never hurts to scrub the outside and throw a quick coat of enamel on it at the same time either.

If I remember correctly the NP205 is a heavy B in the ~200lb range. I'll be rebuilding my 80' 205 this winter when the old drivetrain comes out before I put the new 454 in.

If the 80' 205 came off a TH400, it wont work on the SM465. They have a completely different output.
they both mated to sm465 i should have clarified, they only swapped which one has slip yoke on whichh side. drop is the same.
My 1980 it is on the front, my 1977 frame it was on the back. oddly, the frame had a slip driveshaft on both despite having a slip joint

yah the slip output is definitely a later years thing... the earlier years at least before 1983 or so were slip splines in the drivehaft just after the carrier bearing(in the rear drivelines) so the case itself is definitely from a later years' style truck.

and level of difficullty in disassembling and reassembling oof the case would totally/directly be dependent on your level of experience in R&R of transmissions/cases and etc... and also in the availability of any special tools that could be needed... and an iron T case such as a 205 or a 203( these are iron) is alot more than a 208 or a 241 or etc.(these are aluminum).. goin to be much more than any 140 lbs...

Last edited:

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
oh wow i have had a pair of these exact same old vintage pair of pliers(the second and third pics that you posted in here) floating around here for many years now, and i never knew what they would be good for, or were meant for.. hmmmm... well now i know, haha!! the one thig i never got much into was the R&R of transmissions and cases and axles directly/internally.. hmm... so i never knew what these pliers that I've had floating around here for all these years were good for.. hmm...

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Snap-Ring-Pliers/Snap-Ring-Pliers/SRP2A
lookks like ab out 60 bucks for these same pliers now, at SNAP-ON, directly, currently.. hmm... interesting...

These are the ones I mean.

Last edited:

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
oh wow i have had a pair of these exact same old vintage pair of pliers(the second and third pics that you posted in here) floating around here for many years now, and i never knew what they would be good for, or were meant for.. hmmmm... well now i know, haha!! the one thig i never got much into was the R&R of transmissions and cases and axles directly/internally.. hmm... so i never knew what these pliers that I've had floating around here for all these years were good for.. hmm...

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Snap-Ring-Pliers/Snap-Ring-Pliers/SRP2A
lookks like ab out 60 bucks for these same pliers now, at SNAP-ON, directly, currently.. hmm... interesting...
Lol yeah. They’re funny. You never really use them. BUT when you need ‘em, you need ‘em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84