How Come You Never See This Anymore?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
The pickups and Blazers with the woodgrain side panels. I remember seeing quite a few of them when I was a kid up in Seattle and this body style was pretty new. I thought they looked real sharp. Now with all the restorations going on with these 40+ year old trucks, you never see anyone re-do the woodgrain..... bummer.

OK, I don't know what the hell is going on but I can't seem to EVER post pictures here anymore. Anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

• Blazer-rear.jpg
    Blazer-rear.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yes!

Picture posting sucks now, they should change it back.

Find a source for the walnut wood grain! I need some interior but can't find it, so it'll be Aluminum i reckon.
You never see it because there isnt a source and its cost prohibitive?

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You're right. That would be a nice way to go on a seventies Blazer/Jimmy or Burb. I don't think it would work on the eighties ones even though they're hardly different. It just doesn't feel right to me. If I had something of that vintage, I'd definitely consider going in that direction. I would also imagine price is a detractor. I wouldn't think Joe Blow paint and body guy could do it, and a lot of people want the most economical thing for their vehicle. There are some people who go all out, but it takes a lot of money to get everything perfect.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Did a quick search for "wood grain vehicle wrap" and came up with a number of companies selling it. A 4' x 20' piece runs $500-$700. Not a lot of money for the improved appearance.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is a 70's K20 in my town that is all original with the wood grain down the sides. It'a little faded on the drivers side in spots but the rest of it looks great.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
There is an insulation type backing and it has the fancy "western scroll" trim piece around it. I imagine replacing it with an 1/8 inch piece of aluminum? and try to keep the trim.

Haven't studied on it hardly at all, but I recognize it as a future project with a substantial $$ price tag. (Both sides are similar) It's like contact paper or something and my repair will NOT be ghetto even a little bit.
Ive seen real wood used and .... No.

metal. :headbang:

Id like to end up changing the dash pieces to that aluminum stuff of later models i think.

I was looking at my Silverado door panels and want that switch MAYBE. The trim is more desireable at least...it's off the sill.

Attachments

• 20170309_151912.jpg
    20170309_151912.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
I don't think $500-$700 sounds that bad either. If I had a truck that came with the wood grain I would totally re-do it as part of the restoration process.
I had a couple of really nice examples I wanted to post here but.......CAN'T POST NO PICS!!!!

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I cannot post pictures either!!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
There is an insulation type backing and it has the fancy "western scroll" trim piece around it. I imagine replacing it with an 1/8 inch piece of aluminum? and try to keep the trim.

Haven't studied on it hardly at all, but I recognize it as a future project with a substantial $$ price tag. (Both sides are similar) It's like contact paper or something and my repair will NOT be ghetto even a little bit.
Ive seen real wood used and .... No.

metal. :headbang:

Id like to end up changing the dash pieces to that aluminum stuff of later models i think.

I was looking at my Silverado door panels and want that switch MAYBE. The trim is more desireable at least...it's off the sill.

The '79 I had back in high school had the cheynne (sp?) trim package and it had the western scroll work around the panels too. Except my panels were silver colored instead of wood grained.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
That makes three of us who can no longer post f -ing pics......dooh! I had a few examples of woodgrain that were airbrushed on too.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
The western scroll in my K5 is where an arm goes, and in my truck it's SMOOTH on both sides. Easy AND cheap to replace, i'm sure.
I need a fix, it can't stay like that. It's my truck now. :devil:

Looking in my Silverado for the parts noting how different the two panels are. Gotta be some kind of happy mix. I prefer the short Cheyenne panels, the Silverado covers the full door but has western scroll on it - not on the sills - and is in perfect shape. Do NOT like the full panel though. NOT a fan of the pockets either, they don't get to stay.

Ima have a Franken panel. Looking for a hard formed thing to replace the map pockets.

NOT "parting out" my C20 mind you, but it WAS a little old man's truck and ive long decided that the best of everything I own is going in that Blazer. Haha. Nothing in my garage is safe anymore!

Those Blazer interior parts is a LOT of woodgrain that runs through the cargo area, behind the spare tire carrier. Bolts for the top, the window corners... Little bit of water or rub from a tire was all it took to tear that **** up. Aluminum seems a natural repair choice to me.

Bucket said they fixed the picture deal.
This is my driver door window sill. I took the screw out and ran it back through the middle of the floppy map pocket making it more tolerable two sections.

Attachments

• IMG_20170309_222609.jpg
    IMG_20170309_222609.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Rusty Nail,
My map pockets were really sagging too but it was an easy fix. I removed them and put new elastic through the holes. Tightened it right up just like new. Got the fabric elastic from my wife. She sews a lot. You can buy it at any sewing shop or Michaels for a couple of bucks. Perfect and easy fix.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Its the soft fabric that i dont like. It has no uniform shape and it appears weak to me. Aint git no place in me Blazer.
I aim to get/make/fashion/find some type of solid plastic, envelope shaped thing/deal that I can screw in that spot. I tried the door without, but that space is pretty valuable =handy. Pictured in mine are screwdrivers, an ipod shuffle+headphones and a BOAT HORN.

I aint backwards, haha ill hang that mother f*cker out the window QUICK!

WHATEVER YOU DO, do not press that button with the windows up....it's 140db

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Pics working now?
Oh yeah!
Anyway, this is kind of what I was talking about.
I think it looks great!

Attachments

• s-l720464.jpg
    s-l720464.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 129

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Pics working now?
Oh yeah!
Anyway, this is kind of what I was talking about.
I think it looks great!

I think that looks awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast