HotRodPC goes over the edge !!! I think...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Another cheap vehicle you might be able to find is an old '82 Audi 4000 manual trans. Years ago when all I had owned was squares and my gf had a square that suddenly died I went on a search for cheap transportation for her. Making $4/hr my choices were limited.

Came across a '82 Audi 4000. Just front wheel drive, not quattro. No turbo. Had a new clutch, alternator, tires, timing belt. The bad? Some side damage. So I drove out to look at it. The car had been T-boned. Passenger B pillar was touching the passenger seat. But- the guy replaced the glass in the doors, and they didn't leak. AND the doors still opened, closed, and latched. He was asking $650. I offered $400. He said no, I turned, started my Blazer and started driving away. He ran over and said sure, he needed the $$$.
The more I drove it, the more I liked it. It was a fun, sporty lightweight car. I got 30 mpg city, 41 on a long highway drive (over the continental divide no less).
I taught the gf how to drive a manual trans with it (she didn't have a choice!).
When I showed my dad what I bought he wasn't impressed. I finally shoved the keys in his hands and he went off for a drive. They live in a very hilly and curvy area. 20 minutes later he comes back smiling.
Years later after a Culligan water truck backed over it I bought a '86 Audi 4000. Wasn't quite the same. Mileage was worse... maybe 26 city, 34 highway. Car was heavier...but a bit nicer.
That car started my german car buying.
'82 Audi 4000S
'86 Audi 4000S
'93 Audi 90CS quattro
'92 Audi 100CS quattro
'00 Audi S4
'00 Audi A6 Avant
'00 VW Golf TDI
'05 VW Passat Wagon
'04 VW Passat sedan, but converted to a manual trans (not available in North America)

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1982/230105/audi_4000.html

However expect issues with door handles, and the odometer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't know that anyone's calling you a liar, but if you calculate that fuel properly and you still come back and tell me you're getting 41, then hell yes I will call you a liar because it didn't get 41 miles to the gallon I'll assure you. You very well may have gone 205 miles on $20 that you put in the tank, but you also used some fuel that was already in the tank too.
First things first make sure your odometer is accurate. Then top of the tank, Drive it 200 or 300 miles and top off the tank again. Then divide those gallons used into the miles driven and you will see that car gets between 32 and 35.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
nope

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nope??? :shrug:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it does in fact get 41. We drove it from Beatrice to fremont and back Plus around fremont and beatrice, and the 12 to and from my house to town, so lets just say 205mi round trip. on 20$ Which was 5gal at the time.
No clue why it does as good as it does, but it DOES. And if you want to call me a liar, then im done here.

I won't call you a liar, but this here is about to get you called something else...

That certainly IS NOT how to accurately calculate mileage. The miles traveled NEEDS TO BE FACTUAL and the gallons used NEEDS TO BE EXACT as well, end of story.

Step 1: You HAVE to start with a FULL tank.
Step 2: You HAVE to record exact miles traveled.
Step 3: You HAVE to fill the tank back up again.
Step 4: Divide miles by gallons used and learn the vehicle's mileage. It ain't rocket science.

And just for the record, my money is on 32 MPG or less.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I won't call you a liar, but this here is about to get you called something else...

That certainly IS NOT how to accurately calculate mileage. The miles traveled NEEDS TO BE FACTUAL and the gallons used NEEDS TO BE EXACT as well, end of story.

Step 1: You HAVE to start with a FULL tank.
Step 2: You HAVE to record exact miles traveled.
Step 3: You HAVE to fill the tank back up again.
Step 4: Divide miles by gallons used and learn the vehicle's mileage. It ain't rocket science.

And just for the record, my money is on 32 MPG or less.

Yep, on all of the above. So be sure your odometer is correct. If it's not, you can find out how far off it is, and still calculate the exact miles.

I'll give 34mpg if there is no wind or a tailwind during the test, and cruise control set at 65, otherwise, I'm with the 32 too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones